Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any tac Iron shooters

Sthrngnr

Just inquiring what other tac iron shooters do for long range shots to

say 500 yards.What kind of iron sights are you using ? I am using typical A2 sights ,and 16" barrel. Any help or input, ie should I use a heavier bullet, or longer barrel.I am wanting to use the equipment I have and spend money on ammo and match fees.

I also have a 16 inch barreled gun that I wanted to use for limited(I have been shooting limited with a red dot), so I bought an Armalite clamp-on front sight and mounted it about an inch behind my comp(mine is an HBAR barrel and it steps down right before the comp). Is it ideal, no. But I wanted to try irons without buying a new gun. I also put a National Match front sight post on. Haven't got to shoot it yet but I'm really excited. There's just something "pure" about shooting a gun with irons.

BP

The equipment we shoot makes subtle differences in our performance. As long as the gun functions reliably and is fairly repeatable accuracy wise, the main determining factor in how well you do in a match is determined by the shooters experience and skill. Good practice and skills will always contribute far more than fancy gear. Until you know for sure what you want, spend your time (and money) training with what you have.

I decided to go iron . is there any drawbacks to using a railed gas block with a fixed sight on top ? and carry handle rear .

Edited by 1911vm

As long as everything lines up right and you can zero fine, shouldn't be a problem...biggest issue will be getting the right front sight post to go on the gas block and match up with the rear sight...might take a little bit of experimentation/measuring...

I just rebuilt mine for irons and so far I love it. Like the others, I put the front sight out by the comp on a 20" barrel. I prefer the round shape of the HK style but could only find that style on a gas block. There aren't any HK shaped (round) sights that clamp onto the barrel directly so it is 2 pieces. I would prefer the rigidity of a 1 piece but preferred the sight picture of the round style more. Then I switched to a 0.050" front post. I slapped a NM rear carry handle on because I like to be picky with my zeros and wanted the best tracking and finest adjusting rear sight that I could find.

Results - well so far a few practice sessions and one local match it is very promising. It takes a little longer to get a sight picture on a small plate that is far away but I can hit an 8" plate 90% of the time at 300. Time will tell but it is lots of fun and feels very "pure". Good luck if you go for it.

I decided to go iron . is there any drawbacks to using a railed gas block with a fixed sight on top ? and carry handle rear .

Yes.

If you are going to go with irons... go for the sight radius. Armalite sells a clamp on front sight base that will clamp on to a .750 diameter barrel. It won't run you much if any more than a typical front sight that goes on a railed gas block.

Carry handle is fine. I opted for the LMT BUIS because I got a good deal on one.

101_8659.jpg

I've made a few changes since this photo. The FSB in the photo is a set screw front sight that I have since swapped out for the clamping one I mentioned. It's also now sporting an ergo grip.

Yes.

If you are going to go with irons... go for the sight radius. Armalite sells a clamp on front sight base that will clamp on to a .750 diameter barrel. It won't run you much if any more than a typical front sight that goes on a railed gas block.

Carry handle is fine. I opted for the LMT BUIS because I got a good deal on one.

101_8659.jpg

I've made a few changes since this photo. The FSB in the photo is a set screw front sight that I have since swapped out for the clamping one I mentioned. It's also now sporting an ergo grip.

Thanks.

I went on there web site and could not find it. Can you send me a link.

Also is it possible to take a pic of the new set up. And thank you again.

Althou a 20 inch barrel is optimim, your setup as is will work well. Just get the front sight all the way out as far as you can, and practice!!

And a 16 inch barrel on my JP 308 seems to do me just fine...

jj

J.P. Enterprises makes a great clamp on Front Sight, which you can find under the gas block section on their web sight, and Brownells carries them as well. It is a machined part instead of cast like the Armalite one, and it is quite a bit stronger in the clamping area. I have seen two of the Armalite ones crack at the clamp screw boss......now why am I suddenly 2 feet right? :blink:

J.P. Enterprises makes a great clamp on Front Sight, which you can find under the gas block section on their web sight, and Brownells carries them as well. It is a machined part instead of cast like the Armalite one, and it is quite a bit stronger in the clamping area. I have seen two of the Armalite ones crack at the clamp screw boss......now why am I suddenly 2 feet right? :blink:

If the base had been shimmed, it probably wouldn't break. :closedeyes:

Is it worth almost triple the price ?

If the base had been shimmed, it probably wouldn't break. :closedeyes:

What do you mean shimmed . And do they ( shims) come with the sights?

Well lets start with "is it worth 3X as much"

First thought. NO absolutely not it,s just a piece of junk out at the end of your rifle that holds a little pointy thing.

Second thought "And of course they're out of stock" and have been for a very long time, but I don't mind waiting as long as it takes because nothing is worth 3X as mcuh as what is listed.

Third thought. What kind of really high quality precision cast sight would need shims? Why the kind that cost 1/3 less than the machined part (No they don't come with shim,s of any kind, but most guys just use pop cans cut into strips to fill in any excess gap. I recomend Sam's Club brand soda cause you don't want to spend too much on your shim material)

Fourth thought, cast parts like to break under impact like dropping your rifle and shattering off one of the protector ears (saw that one and at the same time cracked the compression screw boss hole we suspect)

Fifth thought, as you are tightening down the sight you waited on for over 6 month it cracks and when you call them up they say sorry, it broke but we are out of stock on that part again and can't send you a new one....and you now think DAMN maybe I should have payed 3X as much...they are in stock, they don't break and they are almost twice as light. Is it worth it?? No more so than a Mercedes is worth more than a Fiat, but it all depends on your personal choice.

So is it worth it....only you can decide that.

I have one rifle with the armlite and two with the JP. In my opinion the JP is worth the extra dough, and I am pretty cheap. I have consumed quite a bit of SAMs cola.

Even the JP may require some modification to get it good and tight. You can shim them, but you can also remove material from between the inside of the bottom of the barrel band where the tightening bolts come together. This allows you to decrease the interior diameter. Usually does not take much time/work, and you still have plenty of steel left to protect the integrity of the part. Same mod can be done to the armalite.

Edited by Lead-Head