Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is a CZ a sub par Limited gun?

GuyC

Do CZ's make for sub par limited guns?

I have never handled a CZ and have always shot 2011's, but they look like they could be a nice gun. The grip looks great, and it is nice and high. People say they can get 2lb trigger jobs. It is a less expensive gun.

Why are more people not running them in Limited? The TS has all the necessary aspects to become a great limited gun. What am I over looking?

I would like to hear why from both sides but really the people who considered a CZ and went with a 2011 instead. I never even considered one until I started looking at pics on here a couple months ago.

my guess there is less after market support and less people that are able, willing to work on them.

you have to go pretty far to find a decent smith that will work on and modify a CZ, when you can find a good 1911/2011 guy in almost every town in America.

CZs are good guns. you just have to prepared that you might be alone out there when modifying, troubleshooting your platform.

my guess there is less after market support and less people that are able, willing to work on them.

you have to go pretty far to find a decent smith that will work on and modify a CZ, when you can find a good 1911/2011 guy in almost every town in America.

CZs are good guns. you just have to prepared that you might be alone out there when modifying, troubleshooting your platform.

I sooooo wanna try a CTS!!!

Me Too.

I also want to run a Czechmate..I got to shoot one in our test room. it was pretty freaking cool.

Me Too.

I also want to run a Czechmate..I got to shoot one in our test room. it was pretty freaking cool.

offshoreman is gonna bring his CTS and czechmate to play with after we do some training this sunday. I don't know if i'm looking forward to it or dreading it. I wanna shoot them.....I don't wanna have to buy them!

TS with the CTS treatment done and slide lightened. Not the handfit slides that you guys are doing now with the CTSs, but other than that, yep. You are welcome to shoot a match with it anytime you feel like. It is a lovely addiction. LOL

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=104479&st=0&p=1188864&hl=ts&fromsearch=1entry1188864

I've had a CTS for the past 3 months or so. Before buying it, I was almost convinced that the path to Limited Nirvana was through an STI Eagle. Even when I bought it, I had a thought that at least I could probably get my money back and put it towards an STI if I didn't like it (bought it used). A new CTS comes with enough mags to get started, for roughly the same price as a new base model 2011 that you're going to have to add mags to.

Note that I'm a pretty new Limited shooter (unclassified heading for C right now), but I don't feel like there's anything at all about the CTS that would hold me back from advancing as high as my practice time will allow. The CTS is accurate enough for anything I am ever likely to find myself needing to do. Magazines hold 20 or 21, with Grams guts still come in at under $100, and don't need any sort of tuning. Another thing I like is that the CZ is designed to work on "short" .40 ammo. I know that a properly built 2011 should run either, but I hear of guys having issues with factory .40. I know that in a pinch, I can stop by any WalMart on my way to the range, and pick up suitable ammo that will run well in my pistol. The thumb safety can be actuated either on or off without taking your right thumb off the lever.

And then there's the trigger. My CTS breaks at 1 lb 12 oz (according to the scale of the guy who sold it to me). It scares people. Very little takeup or overtravel, and a clean break. 1911 triggers don't get any better than this, just different.

But there are negatives to the TS/CTS. Parts are really only available from a couple of places in the US. You're not going to find a new slide stop at your local gun shop. This goes double for competition pieces. Maybe one choice in triggers, no choice in basepads, a couple choices in holsters, and maybe two alternative mag wells. Grips are a DIY proposition (have to trim standard-length CZ grips. It's heavier than a 2011 (I think). And the trigger mechanism is a bit more complex with more small parts.

I don't foresee selling my CTS for a 2011 any time in the near future.

I think the perception that the sti/svi is a good limited gun is that the top shooters at the national and area matches all use them. The only one using a different gun that I can think of would be Henning Walgren with a Tanfoglio or Dave Sevigny with a Glock. If a limited GM would use a CZ tactical sport and place well in the national or area matches, then maybe more people would think of CZ when talking about limited division.

Edited by johnlev

Why are more people not running them in Limited? The TS has all the necessary aspects to become a great limited gun. What am I over looking?

Because they look around and see what other people are using, and the 2011 is the most common limited gun. A lot of people are also firm believers in that nothing but a 2011 is good enough in Limited...

The TS _is_ a great limited gun, you didnt really over look anything ;)

My wife started out with an Australian SP01 Shadow.. great pistol. Then about a month ago she received her new CTS. Well the Shadow went on the back burner and the CTS is her new love. I have to say that there would be nothing in that pistol to hold her back from being competitive in Limited. It is truly amazing. I love it.. even tho' I hardly get to shoot it.

Talk about a pistol that is supposed to be uncompetitive in Limited... A Sig X-5 Level 1.. which is what I shoot. It maybe a little heavy.. but it holds 23 rounds in 140mm and is wicked accurate. I do fairly well at times... but I know I am not going to win... I just enjoy shooting the Sig and having fun. If I was able to practice a lot and did not get started shooting until I was almost 60.. the Sig could probably kick ass in the right hands.

So with the CZ CTS and the Sig.. they are wonderful pistols and a joy to shoot and my wife and I really do quite well. Would I own a CTS... in a "hot" second! In fact even tho' I am an absolute Sig fan.. I am tossing around the idea of CTS for next year... it is that good. I just can't let the X-5 hear me taking this way about her! ;-)