Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mec-gar mags

Mahead

Mecgar mags are short. They wont seat with any pad if you have the dawson mag funnel on. If your frame is bare or you have the S&A funnel they are ok. Same pads will fit them. The short issue is with the Dawson Funnel.

• 2 months later...

I have about 20 Mec-gar mags. 13 nickle and 7 blued. They are of the old design, indeed short, and hold 15 rounds. I bought them because of the 15 rounds for I am in NJ and do not want to do a nickle due to illegal mags. I have tried all kinds things to make them work with non-round adding base pads. They just will not seat reliably with non-Mec-gar pads. I have no aftermarket magwell.

In their stock configuration they are very good mags. I have had very good reliability. My only two complainant are the base-pads, they are extremely sharp. Thus the reason of wanting to put different base-pads on.

I have used Mec-gar in other guns with very good success. Especially many years with a Browning HP.

So, it now seems that Para has contracted Mec-gar to supply their magazines. And they are 15 rounders. I have order 5 from Dawson plus 5 EZ-Off non-round adding base pads. Dawson has on their website the following statement under the EZ-Off pads;

"Will only work with 2012 Para magazines. These magazines will say 'Made in Italy' on them."

If anybody has tried this, please post. Else, in a few weeks when the parts come in, I will post what I find. (mags on slight backorder)

Thanks

So, it now seems that Para has contracted Mec-gar to supply their magazines. And they are 15 rounders.

Gentlemen,

Not to confuse matters, but we don't contract with Mec-Gar for .40S&W double-stack mags. These are purely an aftermarket offering, available from Mec-Gar, but not Para. We are currently redesigning our factory mags for the ultimate in reliability and capacity.

Please let me know if I can help.

Best regards,

Travis

Para USA

"Not to confuse matters, but we don't contract with Mec-Gar for .40S&W double-stack mags"

Hi Travis,

Thanks 100% for the reply and some light on the subject. I know you cannot speak for Dawson's website, but can shed some light on the "2012 Para.. made in Italy..." note?

Anymore info would be great. I hope you can understand the conflict in information would leave me confused.

Thanks in Advance,

Rhett

Hi Travis,

Thanks 100% for the reply and some light on the subject. I know you cannot speak for Dawson's website, but can shed some light on the "2012 Para.. made in Italy..." note?

Anymore info would be great. I hope you can understand the conflict in information would leave me confused.

Thanks in Advance,

Rhett

Hi Rhett,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

I have no experience with the EZ-off base pad, but what I believe that Dawson is referring to with the "2012 Para...Made in Italy", is our hi-cap .45 mags. We do use Mec-Gar for OEM in this case, as they have a longer overall length than the Italian .40 mags, and work quite well. This is only a guess though, and I need to find out for sure. I'm very sorry for any confusion.

Thank you for the help on this!

Best regards,

Travis

Hi Travis,

It is clear now. The .45 not the .40. Thanks so much for making my small mind "see"!

Kind Regards,

Rhett

malagamarksman,

My strong guess would be the ribs are longer on the Mec-gar - at least the ones I have. This would make the double stack area smaller.

But, I would not take my word, for I just admitted to having a small mind! :mellow:

Rhett

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Travis,

It is clear now. The .45 not the .40. Thanks so much for making my small mind "see"!

Kind Regards,

Rhett

malagamarksman,

My strong guess would be the ribs are longer on the Mec-gar - at least the ones I have. This would make the double stack area smaller.

But, I would not take my word, for I just admitted to having a small mind! :mellow:

Rhett

Well.............not small minded at all. You are correct. The ribs on the Mec-Gar are swaged in DEEPER not longer. So the ribs are the answer. Thank you. I couldn't see for looking !

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I received a note today from Chase that Dawson has charged my CC for the 5 Para mags I ordered. It's been a little wait, but these should be the redesigned Mec-gars.

As I said in a previous post, when I receive, I will post some pictures if they are truly different, which I think they will be.

Kind Regards,

Rhett