Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which 92?

sam sanfilippo

as far as i know, the m9a1 has the dust cover rail and different grip texturing. both the Italian and American made 92's are pretty much the same. I am not even sure if you can get an Italian made 92 that easily.

I have an american 92 fs and I love it. No problems at all.

It may have changed recently, but during the past year or two, you actually couldn't find an American made 92FS in the US, as the US plant was strictly running M9's. They were bringing all the commercial 92 FS's in from Italy. I have both, and there are no real differences between the American and Italian 92 FS. The only one I know of for sure is the hammer cap pin on the Italian guns is a roll pin that must be drifted out with a punch, not a straight pin like the US versions.

The standard M9 has a straight dust cover and non-radiused backstrap, along with the gov't markings. The 92 FS has the slanted dust cover and the radiused backstrap. The M9A1 (or 92FS type M9A1 as it is officially labeled), has the accessory rail, front and rear checkering on the grip, and a beveled mag well (just like the Elites). Otherwise the controls and features are the same between all 3 variants (92 FS, M9, M9A1).

They are all on the Production list these days, too. Until I found my E2 over the winter, I was using the M9A1 as my primary gun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Italian made has a better DA pull out of the box.

Mine is an American made - I bought it over the Italian made solely because we're issued American made in the USAF, and why spoil myself when I won't be issued something with that nice of a pull.

Italian made has a better DA pull out of the box.

Mine is an American made - I bought it over the Italian made solely because we're issued American made in the USAF, and why spoil myself when I won't be issued something with that nice of a pull.

I have nine - a mixture of USA and Italian ones. That's not true. It can vary from specimen to specimen.

In fact, my two 92 compacts are italian. When I bought them new in the Spring of 2011, one had a terrible SA trigger break. I swopped the hammer out with an extra hammer I had... Fixed it greatly. There was some sort of burr on the hammer's surface that effected the trigger pull.

Anyway, you can pick up 20 Beretta 92s... Try them all, and find a preference among 3 or 4 in the way the trigger works. Doesn't matter if they are Italian or US made...

Ship wreck, yes it will vary from gun to gun, but having sold several dozen of these face to face on the store front, that observation about the da trigger feel was noted by almost all without me mentioning it.

Well, everyone has an opinion. I think that maybe it's the "allure" of the real Italian one being perceived as the better one. People's opinions aren't always based in reality. But, who knows...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have an Italian-made Beretta 92FS Stainless and it's been through all sorts of craziness with me. It went through the police academy with me and was my trusty sidekick for my patrol days. We're talking about all sorts of weather conditions and more than a few wipe outs where I fell in icy conditions while wearing it. I've fired thousands and thousands of all sorts of different kinds of rounds through it and I've only had one ammo related issue. I never had any problems with the pistol itself. I use Glock mostly now for competitive shooting, but you'll never get my trusty burrito away from me. Ever.