Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield XD

TEAM SPRINGFIELD

I have shot one and I didn't like the grip safety (maybe you could pin it) the trigger was stiff and the grip small for my big paws.

It did shoot very accurate though.

If it fits you and you shoot it well then go for it...

j1b liked it and he has forgotten more about shooting then I probably will ever know, so take my opinion with a sack of salt, not the usual grain..

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I borrowed one for a week and I was impressed with the accuracy, The grip saftey didn't bother me ( I have really large hands). The trigger well I guess it could be better. If I wanted to shoot production I would take a serious look at it. I also heard a rumor that the .40 cal mags worked in the 9mm and might hold like 14 or15 rounds,but that was just a rumor.

Steve

I borrowed one for a week and I was impressed with the accuracy, The grip saftey didn't bother me ( I have really large hands). The trigger well I guess it could be better. If I wanted to shoot production I would take a serious look at it. I also heard a rumor that the .40 cal mags worked in the 9mm and might hold like 14 or15 rounds,but that was just a rumor.

Steve

DT,

According to the website that I posted, the DA version would be the 98.  The way it is listed in Vince's link, the Arcus 94 and 98 are legal... which through your reasoning would be like saying that a P14/16 would be legal in production since a DA version, the LDA, is produced.

BTW, I bought the 94 after reading your review...

Hmm....

Me... "That link to the listing that you have posted shows that an Arcus 94 is legal in Production.  I have an Arcus 94 and it is a Browning Hi-Power clone --- cocked and locked, single-action only.  How can that be legal for Production?"

You... "Because Arcus makes a DA version of the '94, of course. I only know that because I wrote an article on their guns. "

Me... "According to the website that I posted, the DA version would be the 98.  The way it is listed in Vince's link, the Arcus 94 and 98 are legal... which through your reasoning would be like saying that a P14/16 would be legal in production since a DA version, the LDA, is produced. "

You... "Uh, no. Obviously, I'm not saying the SA is legal because there's a DA verson of it. All I'm saying is there is a DA version of the SA that's legal because IT is DA.  Sounds like the '98, the DA version of the '94, is mislisted as the '94."

Yes, it is all pretty obvious. :)

I have a XD-9 that I just started shooting IPSC with. I've have about 500 rounds through it with no problems. The Winchester "Value" packs from Walmart make ammo very affordable at $11/100rds. I recommend the gun to anyone looking for a sturdy affordable pistol. There are many companies starting to sell accessories for the XD's and there is at least one gunsmith doing work on them. For more info check here http://www.hs2000talk.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

Ever since I’ve handled the HS-2000 at my local gun store—it felt ergonomically just right. The only reason I didn’t get it then was that all of my allowance was going into the parts/accessories for my 1911s. Two years later it reappeared under Springfield’s name and I’ve got one in .40 cal. Although I like the cartridge a lot, now that I’ve put some 3000 rounds through my XD, I feel that even with lighter reloads it’s still a handful. I would recommend it in 9 mm. It’s much more manageable—both recoil and budget-wise.

DBritt,

To answer  your question...

I shot just about every incarnation of  the XD they make at a XD match in SoCal a couple of weeks ago. I hated the 357 sig. perhaps hate is  not a stong enough word. Unless you are  in love with the  ballistics, stay away from the 357 sig.

The 9mm was beautiful. Much more comfortable, to me , than a Glock.  The 40 S&W was nice too. More recoil,as you would imagine. See if you can try one out.  

Like Viatly says, the  9mm is cheaper to  shoot.

All that said, I'll stick with my STI for competition. :)

Well, as I said, I really like the cartridge, and have tried it in some all-steel guns + in Glock 35 (which was real nice!) and I can say that the kick of .40 in XD is more that I would have bargained for had I known it. I think that it’s due to a higher position of the slide in respect to frame that gives you this sort of not so pleasant muzzle jump. It rides much higher above your gripping hand than that of a Glock. I am still experimenting with my hand loads and finding that 180 grain bullets work the best accuracy and controllability-wise. That is true for the factory rounds as well. Now a couple of words about concealed carry. I have gotten a custom IWB rig way before they were available from leading manufacturers, tried to carry the gun concealed, and have found that it’s not the slimmest gun I had carried so far. It is still comfy in an IWB holster but not as comfortable as your 1911 or even any Glock for that matter. In any case, I am still happy with it, and I do carry it in my Tauris IWB holster on almost daily basis. Bottom line: it’s a great defense gun, but if you are planning on having lots of plinking/target shooting and so forth sessions with it, take my word of advise—get it in 9 mm.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Glock 22 40 and the Springfield XD 40

I like them both......depending I think, on your hand size, you might possible like one better than the other.

I think I like the standard type of rifling of the XD40 because from my experience, it is of a design which accommodates lead bullets....(wide land, taller land) and should generally shoot lead more accurately.

Have had no reliability issues with either gun and have shot about 1,500 round already through the XD40.

I really do like the features of the XD40) better than the glock......1.  cartridge in the chamber indicator

2. ambidextrous slide release

3. cocked indicator

4. grip safety

The magazines drop clean from the XD40, and never hang up....can't say that for my Glock....

Both guns are very accurate.........my XD40  does have a chamber on the tighter side dimensionally......as compared with the Glock chamber

I worked the SD40 ramp over slightly....both guns will even feed a full wad cutter profile bullet.....

I definitely like the factory combat sight of the XD40 over the Glock22 factory sight........much better.

Paul Prochko

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am new to the polymer guns and need some help.  I am in law enforcement and need some advice on which weapon I should choose for a reliable duty weapon.  Everyone keeps telling me to buy a glock but I personally don't like the way they look and they are not exactly user friendly for the left handed people like myself.  The XD on the other hand is more appealing but does it function well? where I live no one owns one and none of the local dealers will let you try before you buy.  Which one to choose.  Can anyone help?

"where I live no one owns one and none of the local dealers will let you try before you buy."

Go to a gun shop that has a decent rental case. Springfield will probably have about 20 guns in it, including an XD. For a nominal fee you can shoot the thing to your heart's content.

Alexander if you want to learn all about the Springfield XD go to this site http://www.hs2000talk.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ulti....cgi?category=1

That site is dedicated to the XD and only the XD.  I am a member there also and that forum is what made up my mind to purchase my XD-9.  I love it, it is a great gun.  I have about 1,000 flawless rounds through it.  Good Luck.