Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield XD

TEAM SPRINGFIELD

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am interested in purchasing the new Springfield XD and would appreciate info. from anyone who has one or has shot one.  I'm not sure on what caliber I'm going to get.  Any recommendations?  Does anyone know about the ported model as well? Thanks

(Edited by dbritt066 at 12:37 pm on Oct. 16, 2002)

I am interested in purchasing the new Springfield XD and would appreciate info. from anyone who has one or has shot one.  I'm not sure on what caliber I'm going to get.  Any recommendations?  Does anyone know about the ported model as well? Thanks

(Edited by dbritt066 at 12:37 pm on Oct. 16, 2002)

I dunno, if was gonna shoot PROD I'd want one of the new long nose XDs (G35 style).

I heard somebone head somewhere marketed the XD as a "single action trigger" and the governing bodies said, "yup single action".

But like I always said, convincing the world that a glock is a double action gun was one of the marketing coups of the century.

The Springfield XD is legal for IPSC Production Division and is listed on the IPSC approved gun list, but I cannot comment for the USPSA. However note that only the 4" non-ported model complies with all restrictions.

Glocks are considered to be double-action because when you pull the trigger, the striker retracts further (action 1) then moves forward (action 2), hence a "double action".

IPSC considers a "single-action" pistol to be one where activation of the trigger only causes the hammer (or striker) to fall (i.e. 1 action).

(Edited by Vince Pinto at 12:16 pm on Oct. 16, 2002)

What do you plan to use it for?

I would stay away from the ported models.  They aren't good for close in defense (opinion is that the gases and flash are losers in close in work).  And, the porting doesn't help these types of guns much (especially with factory ammo).

For competition, the ported models would put you in Open class in USPSA (where REAL Open guns compete)and they just aren't allowed in IDPA.

The XD didn't get any attention when it was the HS2000.  Then Springfield came into the picture.  Same gun, different name.  That upped the price by around $100 (but, you get Springfield's good name and backing...likely worth it).

Again, what are you looking to use it for?

I'm mostly looking for a good gun at a resonable price.  Something reliable and fun to shoot.  No plans on using it for competitions, but you you never know.  Mostly for home defense and as a carry gun.  Any other suggestions on a different gun would be appreciated. Thanks

There is no better way to learn some gunhandling than to get into some practical pistol competitions.  You will progress so much faster if you do.

I suggest a used ($400) Glock 17 (standard size, 9mm) and shooting some USPSA Production division.

Walmart sells 100 round Val-u-paks of Winchester 9mm ammo for about $11.  That is cheap training.

Whatever you get...put a 1000 rounds down range and get to know the gun.

Nothing wrong with the XD.

But, see if you can rent a Glock 17.  The G23 you shot can be a handful (with hot 40 ammo and the gun's smaller size).

Also, get Matt Burkett's and then Brian's book.  (Learn about proper grip and stance on Matt's site.)  

http://www.mattburkett.com/catindx1.html

Proper grip and stance (and practice) can make a big difference.

I suggest the G17 as it can be used in more games (which you will want to start shooting...best practice around).  If you can't warm up to it, then the XD is likely a winner.

If money is a consern, go with 9mm (cheaper ammo).

Again...shoot it a lot!

I put 100 rounds thru a rental 4" model and liked it a lot.

It fits my hand better than the Glock, and I like the trigger better. (sorry Flex)

If I ever switch from Beretta in production (not likely), it would likely be to the XD, after they get better sights and custom trigger work is available.

Very little flip, and fun to shoot. Can you rent one anywhere?

Now on the Glock side...legendary reliability, accessories Galore and membership in the hard-core Glock club. Plus you can shoot GSSF.

Decisions...

SA

yes, Flexmoney, I am wondering the same thing: When the XD was still called what it still is, the HS2000 from a Croatian manufacturer, noone even looked at the thing. Now that it has Springfield marketing (but not manufacturing) it under a new name, it's the latest craze. Go figure...

--Detlef

It's not Springfield fault that HS2000 didn't have the same advertising capabilities.  I'm also not saying I am interested in the gun just because Springfield's name is on it.  I would have been interested in it just as much if HS2000 had been capable of advertising it as well as Springfield has done.  I do agree that the jump in price is due to the fact that Springfield's name is on it, but you can't fault Springfield for taking advantage of the HS2000.  It has seemed to be profitable for them.  All I am asking for is how people like the gun not the name or the price.

Thanks

It's important to have the support of an established company behind a new product.

Would you want to call croatia for customer service or repair? Not me!

My point is it's not the name, but what the name offers by way of support.

Plus, you could play TGO so much easier...:)

SA

I've played with it, and shoot IDPA with some folks - husband and wife - who both use them.

The feel of a Glock with a SIG trigger...I like it, may get one at some point, but it's not high on the list right now.

Maybe you should look into a SIG-Sauer?

One advantage to the XD would be if you're a southpaw.  I reccomended one to a club member who wanted an ambi mag release, and he loves his.  Trigger is a bit heavy for me, but nicer than the factory GLOCKs I've tried.

FWIW  

I've shot one. I thought it was extremely reliable and pretty easy to shoot. I personally don't own one - but I would if I were looking to get into a heater like that.

I found the 9mm to be a complete joy to shoot. I had to get used to the .40 - but in the end it really proved to be shootable as well.

I know everyone is going to say I have some type of vested interest here but I don't. I prefer 1911's still but I think the XD is a good gun.

JB

I've shot one. I thought it was extremely reliable and pretty easy to shoot. I personally don't own one - but I would if I were looking to get into a heater like that.

I found the 9mm to be a complete joy to shoot. I had to get used to the .40 - but in the end it really proved to be shootable as well.

I know everyone is going to say I have some type of vested interest here but I don't. I prefer 1911's still but I think the XD is a good gun.

JB

I have shot one and I didn't like the grip safety (maybe you could pin it) the trigger was stiff and the grip small for my big paws.

It did shoot very accurate though.

If it fits you and you shoot it well then go for it...

j1b liked it and he has forgotten more about shooting then I probably will ever know, so take my opinion with a sack of salt, not the usual grain..