Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Mags with Dawson base pads

tackdr1ver

I am wondering if any of you have ever had any luck in getting a Glock mag to hold 20 or 21 rounds and still be reloadable and allow the action to cycle? I have 7 mags for my limited gun and I have5-ish mags that hold 20 fairly well, but none of them are reloadable. They have to be my starting mag. I guess it would be nice to start with 21 in the gun if at all possible and have 19 or 20 in my mags on the belt. I would certainly appreciate any advice!

Thanks,

Greg

edit: this is .40 s&w btw

Edited by tackdr1ver

I am wondering if any of you have ever had any luck in getting a Glock mag to hold 20 or 21 rounds and still be reloadable and allow the action to cycle? I have 7 mags for my limited gun and I have5-ish mags that hold 20 fairly well, but none of them are reloadable. They have to be my starting mag. I guess it would be nice to start with 21 in the gun if at all possible and have 19 or 20 in my mags on the belt. I would certainly appreciate any advice!

Thanks,

Greg

edit: this is .40 s&w btw

I could never get 20 reloadable with Dawson Precision.

Apparently the generation of the magazine you're putting the extension on determines if you get 19 or 20.

I had one mag that I could get 20 into and yes it would cycle. However I didn't consider it to be reloadable.

I have one mag that I can get 20 reloadable in. I had to use a 2nd gen mag to make it work but the important part is the follower. It just has 1028 stamped on it and has the two legs at the back. I cut about 50% of those legs off, cut 2 coils off the spring, and sanded the top side of the follower down about 1mm. I took enough material off to completely remove the molded in .40 in the curved portion. Between all those things, I can get 20 in it and still have enough travel left to make it reloadable.

For the trouble it was to make work, I rarely find the instance where I need to use it for any kind of competitive advantage though. Unless you just like to piddle with stuff like this, I wouldn't bother.

I have Dawson's and TF's and tubes and followers of about every vintage. I can't get any combo to be 20 reloadable. I can get one to hold 20 but sometimes it slows the slide too much to cycle after the first shot. So I won't start 20+1. I have tried searches but have only found others asking the same question.

I agree. One more round (20 reloadable vs. 19) just ain't worth the reliability degradation that usually occurs. With 20 in mine (Arrendondos), I have to NAIL the reload to get it to seat and then PRAY that the second shot after the reload actually occurs. Therefore, I consider all of my mags to be 19s and just live with it. And, unless I need it, I usually won't load them that tight either. 18 is my norm. They're even easier to seat that way.

It is VERY rare that a 19 round mag in the gun will be a handicap, unless you're shooting Open. Because of the "no more than 8 rounds from a single view" standard that most designers use, a natural reload point will usually be around round number 15 or 16 in the course. The guys who ARE running 20+1 will probably reload there too.

Thanks for all of the replies!

I have had mixed results running the mags with 20 in them, at times the slide barely cycles. Other times the mag won't even seat. I was thinking that if anyone had any luck with getting 21 in a mag it may make it easier to seat a mag with 20 in it and allow the slide to cycle easier. I have never really had an issue with running out of rounds at an inopportune time except when my brain gets scrambled and I blow my plan out of the water.

The thing that we often forget when going for super high capacity is that the stripper rail has to compress the round stack slightly as the slide is travelling to the rear. Since the stripper rail is tapered on the Glock, we MAY be able to cram a magazine into the gun and get it to lock in all the while the stack is absolutely solid and therefore incompressible. When the slide comes to the rear and tries to push those rounds down, it can't, so it slows slide velocity down enough to cause malfunctions. On a 1911/2011, this isn't so much of an issue, since the stripper rail is not tapered. If the mag fits and locks, it SHOULD run.

We had a bad problem with this when Glock went to the 11-coil magazine springs (I think that this was in conjuction with the #5 followers; all in the name of "getting the gun to cycle when a light was on the rail"). Until those magazines were well broken-in, we put out a Training Bulletin telling Officers to load the gun 14 + 1 with 14 in the spare mags.

Edited by Braxton1

• 3 weeks later...

I am getting 20+1 in mine with 0 problems or hiccups (knock on wood). I had to sand the follower down quite a bit more than what Dave demonstrated in his Youtube video.

Do you have any picks of the followers you modified.I did mine the way dave said and can get 20 in them, but no way i will be able to start with one in the gun.Very tight and slide drags.So 19 plus 1 is all i can get.

Finally got my Dawson +5 base pads before Area 6 and played with them yesterday. I filed down the follower and I can get 20 in all 5 mags but can not cycle. So I guess I will be using 19 in each mag. And they do run with 19 in each mag with 1 in the chamber.

I run Arredondo extensions for my G35 and I get 20 rounds, reloadable in each magazine. Never a problem with them at all.

I've seen some Dawsons have some issues with capacity. Check to see if the spring and/or follower is binding on something as it is compressed down when loading rounds.

Z-

Apparently the generation of the magazine you're putting the extension on determines if you get 19 or 20.

I had one mag that I could get 20 into and yes it would cycle. However I didn't consider it to be reloadable.

Your right- I have a dozen mags for my 35- with Dawson base pads and springs.

Seven get the 20 in them with no problems- using Dave's method of reducing

the followers- and they seat and feed no problems!

The other- only 19 rounds, no matter what I have tried! A friend found the same thing.

So he got 5 new ones the other day- and presto-all held 20 and worked.

Apparently the generation of the magazine you're putting the extension on determines if you get 19 or 20.I had one mag that I could get 20 into and yes it would cycle. However I didn't consider it to be reloadable.
Your right- I have a dozen mags for my 35- with Dawson base pads and springs.Seven get the 20 in them with no problems- using Dave's method of reducingthe followers- and they seat and feed no problems! The other- only 19 rounds, no matter what I have tried! A friend found the same thing.So he got 5 new ones the other day- and presto-all held 20 and worked.

So you are saying that the new mags are the best ones for the Dawson base pads?