Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major with hybrid barrel or poppel holes

infinity38s45

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as getting a hybrid barrel on an Open gun, that would depend on the type of comp you get, the slide weight, and the spring. I am trying to get a build together now and I am having a hard time finding a barrel. I did find a hybrid barrel so I asked my gunsmith if I could use that and he said it would be hard to get to all work together with the extra weight of the barrel. I don't know if anyone else is using a hybrid in 9Major but they probably are. I have seen quite a few in 38S since most will put holes in the hybrid portion anyway but still have to balance out the weight and everything else.

As far as popple holes in a 9Major, it makes it tough to make Major but you can do it. I have both and there is a world of difference. I probably won't ever have popple holes in any 9Major guns but it's hard to say those "ever" and "never" words with this stuff.

Welcome to the forum!

A three port Schuemann hybrid barrel with no ports drilled and a good comp with a lightened slide is pretty freaking nice. The one I shot had an A-Zone comp, but I'm sure there are a few comps that might work well with that configuration. If you don't want to chop up the slide a Titanium comp would be a good choice for that set up.

I'll let the gunsmith decide. They usually know what works. It all depends where ur getting ur open built! I know Bedell use hybrid barrel with no holes and just his titanium comp.

I'm building a new open gun in 9mm and went with the new Akai comp. I talked to Shay and he told me to put 2 5/32 holes in the barrel.

Thanks Donny, that's good to know. I also bought a Shoto comp and waiting for the barrel so I can finish a build. With my other 9Major guns, I have two holes in them and it's already tough enough to make Major. I planned on getting this one without holes and see how it does. If the dot needs some taming, may go with a hole or two but I doubt it.

BTW, thanks for the PM!

I have a commander length 9mm with two holes and a factory Trubor 5" no holes, the short gun takes .1-.2 grains more powder to make the same power factor

That's not always the case. I had to go up .4-.5 with HS6 to make the same PF with two holes in my full size.

What powder was that and what barrel/size of holes?

There shouldn't be an issue with getting a 9mm major gun with a hybrid barrel to work. When I first started shooting 9mm major I simply had my .38 super rebarreled. It had a 4 port rib style hybrid barrel and it worked/works fine. Whether it is optimal or not is another question but it certainly works.

Full size 9mm with Schuemann Hybricomp barrel and three holes. Gun was built by Matt Mclearn in Payson AZ, makes maj with MG 121 grn and 7.0 grns of Autocomp....need to bump it up to 8.1 grns of Vit 3N37 to get the same results. Gun has been absolutely reliable from day one.

^^^^ Re-use. I pick them up sometimes at the range, as well as grabbing the array of 9mm brass on the ground after matches including others shooting 9mm major.

8.1gr of 3N37 must be a pretty full case. One of the local guys here runs a 9mm major with a hybrid barrel and Silhouette, no problems for him.

Edited by jid2

I have a commander length 9mm with two holes and a factory Trubor 5" no holes, the short gun takes .1-.2 grains more powder to make the same power factor

That's not always the case. I had to go up .4-.5 with HS6 to make the same PF with two holes in my full size.

What powder was that and what barrel/size of holes?

HS-6 and 3N38

^^^^ Re-use. I pick them up sometimes at the range, as well as grabbing the array of 9mm brass on the ground after matches including others shooting 9mm major.

8.1gr of 3N37 must be a pretty full case. One of the local guys here runs a 9mm major with a hybrid barrel and Silhouette, no problems for him.

I use 8.2 3n37, 9major, one hole in barrel for major. Yes it is compressed. Mg121 1.165 oal

I use the same load in my FlashCat with Silhouette also just tried AutoComp 6.9 gr makes major not sure which one will win in the end Silhouette or AutoComp I need a little more testing.

I am shooting a Limcat Flashcat in 9 mm major. It has eight barrel holes plus the comp. I make major with 7.8 gr of Silhouette with a 124 gr MG JHP or CMJ.

I have one more question, I ordered my 9major from FGW, but he don't like the idea of having a hibrid barrel for 9major bec he said it will create a really high pressure for such a small casing of 9mm,I ordered the gun with ribbed hibrid blank barrel with the gun, for intention to have it drilled later on to become hibrid, now do you guys know who does that kind of service for the barrel?