Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am OK

AlamoShooter

That kind of excitement I can do with out. I do have some video after the fact, but the left side of my upper is no place to be found - the bolt is locked up in the barrel and the carrier is bent and blow apart.

going to try some video posting .

The bolt is cracked the barrel extension is cracked , My Vortex scope is fine

Some kind of stinging is burning my face My Glasses look to be fine - Thank-you Rudy Impact X

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn Dude.... What happened? Reloads?

99.999% of what I shoot is reloads , I just dumped the powed hopper for the rifle loads and it looks perfect. I have a Hornady powder mesuer that only loads rifle BLC2 does not look like any of my pistole powders that go on seperat tool heads with seperat and diffrent powder measurs.

I pulled 30 rounds that were in the mag and every thing look rite. I even mark my brass with a red stripe.

I cant figure it out, just glad my buddy was not next to me when the left side of the gun disapeard. the gun was junning fine the rounds just before and I was trying to make a head shot on steel at 160y when it happend.

Just got the hand-guard off and the barrel does not have any bumps , Back to pulling my hair out

This is some video after I got home , I did pick up the camara rite after it happend , but in my shaken state i must have hit the button twice = only 3 seconds came out of it

th_ARFailure3-31-2012004.jpg

Edited by AlamoShooter

Dayyyymn! That some catastrophic failure right there! Glad you are okay x a million. That's not pretty, not at all.

Did my dad give you the "if you're going to do something, do it right" speech somewhere? Cause you sure did! :surprise:

Edit: Drastic bullet setback? Slamfire maybe? With that kind of damage I can't imagine that there's not two bullets in the barrel but you said it was running good? Scratching head here. Please let us know if you get it figured out.

Edited by Shadowrider

You're better than ok, you're doing great if all you have is some minor stinging and a good story! You might want to try your hand at the lottery before your blessings run out.

Clint

The bolt is locked in the barrel extension so that means it could not have fired out of battery. Looks like huge excessive pressure but not sure what caused it. Even Set back should not have caused that. I am not sure. I would think bore obstruction but that is unlikely because the round before it cycled I assume. I don't know.

glad you are ok!

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Well I have a few more photos , but they are not that good. It looks like all the damage was at the back end of the bolt not up at the shell case ?? The tube is off and the barrel looks fine from the outside & a rod travels easy all the way to the locked up bolt. Ya Know as I play that slow mo video in my brain it seams like the gun fired and thin the boom just a fraction of a second after I pulled the trigger. the shot just before the boom was a near miss on a long steel target. I had just pushed the mag into the table to get a better hold,

riflefailure3-2012029.jpg

The sure fire mag is trash , Do You think they will waranite it ? :unsure:riflefailure3-2012024.jpg

riflefailure3-2012022.jpg

just below the photo line the carrier is bent to left = it shows up in the video

I wonder about the Bolt Could a bolt failure case that to happen ? even the extractor has damage from the inside out.

I think my lower will be OK the bolt release is bent out from when the left side went flying.

The barrel extension is cracked in two places & daylight shines through the side of the bolt.

no brass any place , no place that looks like a bullet fragment, I can look at the table in the morning. the stuff stuck in my face was very small and black.

The rounds in the mag were bent 30 rounds deep

Edited by AlamoShooter

I'm very happy you're okay and will be following this thread.

Have you verified that there's not another bullet in the barrel either by removing the bolt and looking (if that's possible) or using a measuring stick to see if it hits an obstruction?

If not a plugged barrel, I'm voting that it's a huge bullet setback. Just wondering what would set it back like that-- usually you associate setback with a lack of crimping and huge recoil. Those aren't attributes associated with .223 AR's, unless I'm missing something??? Could the nose have caught that Surefire magazine in a weird way as it was being chambered? Those are fairly newly released mags, so maybe this is a contributing factor?

I wonder about the Bolt Could a bolt failure case that to happen ? even the extractor has damage from the inside out.

I think my lower will be OK the bolt release is bent out from when the left side went flying.

The barrel extension is cracked in two places & daylight shines through the side of the bolt.

no brass any place , no place that looks like a bullet fragment, I can look at the table in the morning. the stuff stuck in my face was very small and black.

The rounds in the mag were bent 30 rounds deep

I looked at that bolt and thought the same thing about it being the cause of the... but that's a huge amount of pressure to cause an explosion like that. It seems to me that if the bolt let go at the rear, as it looks in the photo, the barrel extension would have still held together under a normally pressured round. Again, I'm no expert, just spitballing...

The barrel is not obstructed now I can put a cleaning rod all the way to the bolt.

To pull the rounds I use it takes more than four good whacks with a kinetic puller so the rounds do not drift in the case. even though I load 27.8 gr of Hodg BLC2 same load I have used for three years - I had just shot five over a new crono, more to confirm the crono than the loads. I was making some longer shots on 1/2 size MGM IPSC at 160 yards so it was slow fire 3 seconds or more for each shot.

I am going to pull the remaining bullets from that box, so far every load I pulled is on the dime.

the carrier shows in the background

riflefailure3-2012027.jpg

This one is after I removed the handguard = the barrel does not have any bumps ARfail3-2012001.jpg

Edited by AlamoShooter

I just replied to another posting which made me think of this... I've read of a phenomena where too little powder is dropped in a brass case. The round is fired, it burns too slow causing the bullet to move forward slightly, lodging in the throat, then the remainder of the powder over pressurizes behind the lodged bullet causing a KB. Maybe the over pressurization could have subsequently fired the lodged bullet out the barrel?

This would align with your statement of "Ya Know as I play that slow mo video in my brain it seams like the gun fired and thin the boom just a fraction of a second after I pulled the trigger". I'm reading: pull trigger, primer and some powder detonates, bullet jams an inch into the barrel, then remainder of powder kicks in and over pressurization. Just some food for thought...

I don't know nothing. The slow motion was me waiting to see the bullet hit the steel. I had just spent some time shooting my new bolt gun so the lock time on the AR seamed real slow waiting for the hammer to fall.

I call it training but I was getting my kicks watching the bullets hit the steel. its like Steel got even with me.

I have read a lot of threads on KaBooms. Looking at starting relooading it's an obvious area of concern. Not just her either, many many sites.

That said, I can't recall any pics or threads with such a large amount of damage. Holy crow that thing looks like a grenade got dropped in it! Glad you are okay, I'm sure it spooked you.

The odd part to me is that the bolt is locked in. The amount of damage looks almost like TWO rounds in the mag cooked off. Was there a live or a dead one in the chamber right after the MalF? The cleaning rod goes in... To the bolt??? No empty shell in the way?? Show the Lower....

Sorry to get all interested in such a crappy situation for you. Again, glad you were not injured.

On the bright side, you get to build a new one!!