Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli barrel length. Can't decide!

raysracer

So here's my dilemma.

I have a Benelli M1 with PG that I have had for a long time.

I have a 21, 24, 26 barrels for it.

I have another M1 that I'm selling to a buddy with either the 24 or 26 on it.

I just bought a M2 26" that I just sent to Mike at Accurate Iron to work his magic.

I'm 5'10" 160.

Should I have Mike cut that 26" down? To say 22?

Is there a difference between an M1 vs M2 barrel?

Is the extra length at 26 going to hinder me for three gun? Better sight picture, but I'm not a big guy.

I'm getting analysis paralysis so I figured I would ask the forum

Thanks

A longer one might point and swing better, but 26" is a little excessive for our game. Personally I prefer the 21" with a nine round tube, or a 24 with a ten round tube, so I can poke stuff and throw it into grounding barrels without worrying about the barrel/front sight landing on a case.

Btw, there are tons of guys with Benellis up at Richmond if you want to look at some before deciding. I'll be there building stages and MDing Sat/Sun and I can bring my 21" if you want to take a look...

Edited by gose

I already have a M1 that I use with 21". The 24" barrel is an alternative option.

I'm trying to decide what to do with this 26" barrel from the m2.

If I have it cut, then I will have thin walled chokes.

The other barrels I have are m1 barrels. I have briley chokes for them.

If I have it cut, what length?

Since I already have 21 and 24 inch m1 barrels, should I just put one barrel on the m1 and the second on the m2. Two Benelli, interchangeable barrels, etc.

Different characteristics, one PG the other with comfortech.

This is what happens when I have too many choices! Better than no choice I guess...

A longer one might point and swing better, but 26" is a little excessive for our game. Personally I prefer the 21" with a nine round tube, or a 24 with a ten round tube, so I can poke stuff and throw it into grounding barrels without worrying about the barrel/front sight landing on a case.

Btw, there are tons of guys with Benellis up at Richmond if you want to look at some before deciding. I'll be there building stages and MDing Sat/Sun and I can bring my 21" if you want to take a look...

Thanks Gose.

Busy this wknd, but I've shot my m1 with 21 at Richmond and it has been good.

I shot my buddies M2 with comfortech and thats what got me started down this trail.

I was trying to find a m2 with. Shorter barrel, but I settled on this m2 when I couldn't find one.

Shouldn't have tried that comfortech. I feel it gives me a softer recoil and a faster second shot.

Not to thread jack, but is it a problem to install a +8 extension on a 21" barrel gun? Sticks out maybe 10" past the barrel. Maybe I should stick with my +6.

I ran my 21" with that exact extension at Iron Man and though the shotgun gets a little more cumbersome, it works just fine.

Ray, a lot of the Benelli Nova shooters run a 24" barrel with an extension that runs past the muzzle, it equates to approx. having a 26" barrel and I have not felt hampered running it that way. I also have a 26" M2 that will be run that way and do not have any issues about it being too long. i believe the Versa Max comes with 26" barrel and a lot of folks run it as well, and do quite well with it.

Trapr

Sell your buddy the M1 with the 26" barrel. If I am reading this correctly this will leave you with a M1 and M2 with a 21", 24", and 26". Those lengths are everything you could possibly want. Most people are reading this and wishing they had your dilemma. You can use any of those barrels on your guns with the appropriate hand guard. Try each out and see what you like best. 26" doesn't handle well for me but you may feel differently.

Sell your buddy the M1 with the 26" barrel. If I am reading this correctly this will leave you with a M1 and M2 with a 21", 24", and 26". Those lengths are everything you could possibly want. Most people are reading this and wishing they had your dilemma. You can use any of those barrels on your guns with the appropriate hand guard. Try each out and see what you like best. 26" doesn't handle well for me but you may feel differently.

Thanks

That was the direction I was heading.

This will definitely give me some options.

Damn analysis paralysis...... Lol

I have the 26" & like it pretty well however if given the choice I think a 24" might be better. I would not want any shorter than 24". If your tube is gonna hold 9, you might as well have a barrel the same length & gain all the reach you can. The long tube full of shells is gonna determine handling of the gun more than a hollow barrel will, in my opinion. Having the tube out a bit more than the barrel to land on while dumping has some validity to it, though.

MLM

You'll be fine running the +8. Pretty sure I've seen Jesse Tischauser with a stainless magazine tube longer than that even.

CM

Jesse's stainless tube is a +14 which gives him a 17+1 capacity. It looks rediculous with the 21" barrel he runs, but it works for him.

Not to thread jack, but is it a problem to install a +8 extension on a 21" barrel gun? Sticks out maybe 10" past the barrel. Maybe I should stick with my +6.

Wow I was worryied about a +5 and a 22" barrel.lol I did not even know they made +10's. :cheers::eatdrink:

Copy20of20100_01651.jpg

Edited by usmc1974