Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flippers and spreaders

Shooting the clays thrown from a flipper has always been a weakness of mine that I'd like to work on this year. I normally run a LM choke. I've never used spreaders but I'm wondering if that would increase my hit probability or decrease it by spreading the pattern too thin. I'm going to buy some soon and pattern with different chokes. What's been your experience?

It will increase the pattern some but honestly there is no magic shell out there. The only way to really improve the hit probability is to practice shooting targets that are not stationary. Especially on the moving stuff concentrate on the target not the gun or the sight.

Some shotgun shell makers manufacture loads called "spreaders". The pattern opens up sooner. No idea how they do it but I'd guess the wad is different. After watching Benny demo some at Rockcastle, I bought a case of Fiocchi spreader loads. Really good on those stationary clays that are up close and capable of taking down a popper at 15 yards.

Spreaders are just another tool to learn and employ sparingly. They can be had from #6 up to #12, but I have found the #7 and #8.5 in the 1 1/6th or 1 1/4 ounce to be the best. Spreaders tend to open more with tighter chokes so a real benefit is on a stage say with slugs and close fast birdshot. As the choke restriction is less, they start to have more holes in the pattern and if you are shooting flying clays at distance, you won't be getting reliable breaks out at 25 to 30 yards +/-. There was one array at Superstition that clays were beneficial. I don't use them on flippers much, especially since in most cases you have to shoot down a popper first. I have tried them on flying clays in practice, would not use them on those in a match.

I tried to use them a lot a few years ago to make up for my poor shotgunning skills...hurt more than helped.

We did a test a few years ago with spreaders and a rifled choke.

amazing results on static clays 3 feet apart out to 25 yards. . the down side is the only way to drop any steel K.O's or a popper at 5-10 yards was to run up and kick it over.

(this may have been just our crappy poppers . . . but . . . I also am finding less Stage designers putting static clays that close together at big matches any more. i find a lot at local club matches but the expence of finding and buying spreaders just for a club match is just a bit too much.

For what it's worth.

• 2 weeks later...

It will increase the pattern some but honestly there is no magic shell out there. The only way to really improve the hit probability is to practice shooting targets that are not stationary. Especially on the moving stuff concentrate on the target not the gun or the sight.

I used to have a really hard time on flippers with my Saiga until I went out and spent a day with a buddy throwing clays for me. That helped a bunch.

Pat

Spreaders were the rage in sporting clays for a while but most of us have just returned to changing the chokes. IMO the better method is to change over from a LM choke to a cylinder choke and use heavier shot for static steel at distance. Unless you load your own, your going to find spreader loads expensive.

The problem with spreaders is its just more to pay attention to to make sure you have the loads inserted in the gun where you need them and not where you want a tighter pattern. For practice, hit the clay target side of your club for a few rounds. Your going to shoot a shotgun totally different than the pistol and rifle as your focusing on the target not the sights. If you can hit a moving target on the skeet range, clays and steel sitting still or flipping do not seem bad.