Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CCI small pistol in 650

Right now im running winchester small pistol primers in my 650 with no problems. Now i have an option to get some CCI small pistol primers on sale.

Are there any issues with running CCI small pistorl primers in 650?

I've ran at least 15k of them through my 650 last year with only the occasional upside down primer (maybe 1 in 500) only CCI issue I ever had was a large pistol primer lodged itself in a primer tube which the fine folks at dillon quickly replaced :D

There have been some posts on other threads here on BE about some serious quality control problems in some CCI primer runs in the last year, to wit: out of round and squished, but to be fair I did exactly what you are talking about (finding some at a good price) and have had 0 problems. I got 5000 and they all looked good. I have run about 1400 through a 650 with no problems.

:cheers:

It is a good idea to periodically push a small cloth patch wet with alcohol through the tubes to clean them.

Q-tips seem to work great for this. Every 10k rounds or so I'll cut q-tips in half, wet one with alcohol, push it through the tube (I use a the plastic primer follower rod), then push a dry one through. Repeat until no more yellow priming compound is showing on the q-tips. I do this with the magazine tube, as well as all the primer tubes.

Current production CCI primers are fine. It is a good idea to periodically push a small cloth patch wet with alcohol through the tubes to clean them.

Great advice. I have never cleaned my primer tubes and likely should. I clean everything else on a regular basis.

Perhaps I have been in a cave for a decade but I just found the blue primer fill tube caps. Makes it much easier to fill the primer feed tube in the reloader.

I seem to be the oddball here in that I have had lots of problems with CCI primers. I ordered 10,000 at a great price and have spent a lot of time regretting it. The issue I am running into is that the primers will cycle in the 650 just fine, but they hang up in the primer pockets on a regular basis. Have contacted Dillon and my primer punch is aligned correctly. I have had zero problems with Winchester primers and will gladly go back to using them.