Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Test - 38 Super

brhalolll

I have been wondering if different primers might affect bullet velocity. Here are the results (each average velocity, below, was from a 10 shot group):

VV N350, 7.5grns, 124 FMJ-RN

1,344 ft/sec - Winchester small pistol magnum (WSPM)

1,355 ft/sec - Winchester small pistol regular (No. 1-1/2 - 108)

1,313 ft/sec - Federal small pistol magnum (No.200)

1,313 ft/sec - CCI small pistol magnum (550)

Do not think you will see any significant difference. The difference is in primer hardness and slightly better burn of the powder with small rifle primers and less primer flow in open guns.

Hello: I am surprised the small pistol primers are giving more velocity than the magnum primers :surprise: I get 20 more feet per second with magnum primers over the standard pistol primers for my 9mm and 40 loads for Production and Limited. Thanks, Eric

results will likely vary with what you're testing. my data with 9mm, five different powder charges of 231, 124 Winchester FMJ, and CCI, Winchester, Federal and Remington pistol standard and magnum primers and Federal small rifle primers show:

magnum pistol primers nearly always increase velocity over their standard counterparts, but not so much with Federal. The federal rifle primers were on par with the magnum pistol primers. there was no obvious difference between brands with respect to velocity.

I am told that there is a good deal on Magtech primers. Anyone have any thoughts or advise? I think I can buy Winchester SPM, locally, for around 32-35/1000.

I bought Winchester SP for $23/1000 from Graf & Sons (3 months ago), but they were running a special, but two cases and you did not have to pay hazmat. They have been running some nice specials lately. Good luck.

I have been wondering if different primers might affect bullet velocity. Here are the results (each average velocity, below, was from a 10 shot group):

VV N350, 7.5grns, 124 FMJ-RN

1,344 ft/sec - Winchester small pistol magnum (WSPM)

1,355 ft/sec - Winchester small pistol regular (No. 1-1/2 - 108)

1,313 ft/sec - Federal small pistol magnum (No.200)

1,313 ft/sec - CCI small pistol magnum (550)

Thanks for the information, I always wondered. I was scared to mix up magnum and regular. I will worry less now.

I tried some Magtech small rifle primers in 38 Super open EAA witness (with Henning's XL firing pin) and I got several light strikes, went back to Winchester small rifle and did not have a problem. My buddy had a similar issue with CCI BR4's (small rifle benchrest, it was all he had) in a 9mm XDM open gun, loaded up my Winchester small rifle primers and he didn't have any problems. I have heard that Magtech primers are harder than the Winchesters.

I just had a light primer strike with my Winchester small pistol mag. I will have to pay more attention to which primers that happens with the most. I bought 1000 CCI small rifle, so I'll give them a try also.

I shoot 9 major and use autocomp. i run a pound for my trigger. that said, my perception on primers are reliablity of ignition as I pull the trigger. i have the most reliabity as follow

most reliable ignition = Federal small pistol (match), then Winchester small pistol, then winchester small magnum, then CCI small pistol, then winchester small rifle and finaly wolf small pistol as being the worst

i dont worry about velocity as it varies on the day and temp. however, i do notice a lot more ""burn"" or violence using magnum primers. but all i do is reduce the load a bit.

so YMMV but prety much velocitys are within a acceptable range but for me ignition is of importance and ONLY if you have a very very light trigger

I am told that there is a good deal on Magtech primers. Anyone have any thoughts or advise? I think I can buy Winchester SPM, locally, for around 32-35/1000.

MagTech small pistol and even the magnum are good primers. The MagTech rifle primers are the hardest primers on the planet, they have a D on them, my guns will barley leave a mark on them but they do go off. I run extended firing pin and a 17# hammer spring in STI.