Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Open Upper

Noximus03

Just picked up the Carver Custom 9mm upper a couple of days ago, and this is the 1st stage I ran with it at my local match. Any comments or observations would be welcome if you sopt something wrong....just be easy with my fragile ego, lol. Enjoy.

Try and set your feet and rotate your upper body to the targets. Seems like a whole lot of extra steps in there.

Ive been told that I move my feet way too much, and I have been working on it. Just going from all those years in the military and the training it gets you is really hard for me to break. I agree with you, though. I know I would be much more accurate if I moved less. Thanks for the comment.

Looks good. Showboat if you want to. That's what open is all about.

Showboating is fine- That"s not what open is all about!

And when "unload and show clear "is given- flipping out

a live round like that could very well be the end of your

gun and fingers when that live round hit's the primer and

goes off!

Or have you not been around when it has ever happen? I have and

it is a very dangerous situation.

I for one think USPSA should have a rule in the book about this

type of unloading- you can still do it in a safe manner, simply

pull the slide back with less force, and get it out that way!

MODS- sorry for the thread drift- Just a word on safety.

First off nice shooting. I do agree with rolex on this. It is a bad habit to get into. On my open gun(or any gun for that matter)I just pull the slide back and let the round just fall out. A discharge while speed unloading is an ugly sight. I know it looks cool but so does working fingers :cheers: and congrats on open division. The most fun you can have with your pants still on

Never was trying to showboat, nor have I ever wanted to. I've seen many of our best local shooters (including some match directors) flip thier rounds out so they can catch them, or have them caught. Made sense to me since I never did like searching through all of the brass trying to find my round and holding people up. I didnt realize this could be a safety issue, and no, I've never even heard of an AD happeneing like that. Like I said, I've seen some pretty good and experienced shooters do it on a very regular basis. I wont apologize for what has been misinterpreted as 'showboating' because I dont do that. Thats just not who I am, or what I'm about. Having been told a serious side of what could potentially happen as a result of flipping a round out like that, I can tell you I wont be unloading in that matter any further, and Rick....thanks for bringing that to light for me, I really had no clue that could happen. It was good to see you this weekend.

Now, back to the original posting subject/reason. I do thank everyone for thier comments, tips, and observations. I'm just wanting an outside view of my shooting in the hopes someone sees where I can improve, as that is always my goal. Thanks again.

Joe

Again, thanks for the info. Didnt realize I was putting myself in that kid of situation by merely ejecting a round out of the chamber by drawing back on the slide like I normally would by charging a round into the chamber and making ready. Guess I should rethink the way I'm doing things. Now that we have discussed this AT LENGTH both on my posted video and through many PM's, I think I get it. thanks for the help everyone. Love this place.

Every time a video is posted with a flipper, someone chimes in with a warning. From what I have read, the only confirmed detonations were with 40's loaded longer than 1.20. Never with an open gun. Again, this is from what I have read on this forum. There were also VERY few actual events where it happened. Everybody knows somebody, but there are very few who have actually seen it. Maybe you are one of the ones who has, but I would venture a guess that more people shoot themselves in the leg while drawing than those who have a detonation while flipping.

We will have to agree to disagree as to what open is about.

OP - Flip if you want to and if you can do it safely.

Sincerely,

Flipper

Between the second and third shot you actually hit your base pad on the bottom of the port. You don't want recoil to drive your scope up into the top of the port and knock off your zero. Stay out of ports unless absolutely necessary. Looks like you could have shot most of that stage from one spot and just a slight lean.

Nice shooting brother! My only observation is what has already been said...especially going into ports. I had that habit for a while and finally broke myself of it. Anyway, nice shooting!!

PS Would you lay out your gun configuration/parts? Thanks

Any idea of what the hits were?

I could be wrong, but it sounded like you were double tapping everything. The reason I say so is that the splits sounded exactly the same regardless of the distance to the target. If you are getting two good sight pictures and firing one round per, then it looked good. My concern is that dd t appear to be the case. The gun is too flippy for those splits, IMHO.

Go search out Chris Keen's vids on YouTube. He is a great example of how to hose on close targets and how to slow down and get hits on the farther ones.

I also agree with others on ports and positioning.

Every time a video is posted with a flipper, someone chimes in with a warning. From what I have read, the only confirmed detonations were with 40's loaded longer than 1.20. Never with an open gun. Again, this is from what I have read on this forum. There were also VERY few actual events where it happened. Everybody knows somebody, but there are very few who have actually seen it. Maybe you are one of the ones who has, but I would venture a guess that more people shoot themselves in the leg while drawing than those who have a detonation while flipping.

We will have to agree to disagree as to what open is about.

OP - Flip if you want to and if you can do it safely.

Sincerely,

Flipper

Some times we make way too big a deal about this but it is meant in the spirit of safety. Number 1 with motorcylce riding is that just because you have never laid one down doesn't mean you won't. Or skydiving, don't crow if you have never had a malfunction because the next jump may be the one. Flipping does seem to be more prevalent in the upper classes and may have to do with the amount of ammo shot or too many lost brass matches. Remember it is always safe until it isn't.

Edited by LPatterson

So how did you do? Any Match results yet.

4th overall in open, not sure where I finished for the match. Match points was 339.75, with 63.6% match%

The stage in the video ran down like this

16-A

2-C

2-D

2-M (I forgot a paper target and didnt engage it)

Time was 13.17, hit factor was 5.16

PS Would you lay out your gun configuration/parts? Thanks

KKM Barrel, Carver Trigger job, Carver comp, LWD Slide with the cuts done by Carver, LWD SS guide rod, and an ISMI 11# spring. Wondering if I should give the 10# spring Bobby gave me a go...hmmm. I hope thats what you were asking for....