Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Edge 40 Review

The road to the Edge

This thread will be a review of a brand new box stock STI Edge 40 caliber. Now I know there have been reviews before and basic blanket statements made about the Edge, however, most of these were old/bias. I want to be clear, I have no affiliation with STI and have been outspoken about not buying an STI in the past. My reasons were that a custom could be obtained for not too much more and well factory STI’s don’t run out of the box. Well after a couple custom money pits that didn’t run out of the box either and finding out that some builders take longer to fix a gun than build one. STI started to look rather promising with quick delivery and service. I know there have been some rumored quality control issues in the past, but I kept meeting shooters who raved about their STI’s. Hmm… What to do?

Well, I made the decision to switch to Open, but after buying an open gun and shooting every open build I could get my hands on. I came to the conclusion I liked a different type of platform than the one I had bought. So, I sold the current open build, decided on a new build, and decided on a builder to build it. Problem is that with all the bells and whistles it will be some time until I get around to having all the parts, getting it assembled and getting a finish. So, I decided that I’ll finish the project later this season and shoot limited. I like limited, I like open, but until I can really get an open build and spend some quality practice time with it, I should shoot in limited. Being that I have a bunch of money tied up in my open project and decided to put open on hold this season, limited I’m coming back to you.

Dilemma, after being absolutely positive that I was switching to open, I decided to sell my old faithful SV battle ax. ERRRRR…. Wish I hadn’t of done that. It never let me down, was always loyal, and always went bang. Yet I turned my back and sold it along with my entire limited rig. I still beat myself up for that impulse move. None the less, I needed a limited pistol and I needed one quick so I could get back to shooting asap. I considered a Glock 35 to hold me over and ordering a custom, but $3,000+ and a minimum 3 month wait changed my mind. So, I looked at the used market, but after posting an ad, not finding anything that seem like a solid buy for me personally, I caved. Let’s see what this factory STI is all about and if it sucks I’ll make it good.

So, into RedDot I went, asked Jonathan and Rachel to order me one. They looked at me, laughed and said sure. They’re great and have put up with my impulsive behavior since Jonathan introduced me to the USPSA. They know how I felt about factory STI’s, so it had to be ironic that I was standing there with a check book asking for an Edge. Well one day later, I got a phone call my Edge was in. Time to find out what a factory STI Edge is all about and I figured I’d post it here.

A look at the STI Edge in 40

The case. I noticed that the case was basic, decent quality, black with an STI logo, no frills. This is great to me, I hate when companies deliver a pistol in an over engineered case. I’d rather save an extra $50, my firearms are either in a safe or in a range bag. I don’t need or want the MSRP jacked up because some marketing guru is proud of a box.

The Edge. Initial inspection of the firearm I noticed it was test fired on 3/2 and it was 3/17. Fresh off the assembly line, yet it looked like it just came from the National’s. It was stupid dirty, by far the dirtiest gun I have ever purchased new. No biggie, I detail strip and clean all my firearms before I ever put a round in the chamber. Next, I looked at the slide to frame fit; it was tight like a drum and had a weird feeling in the action. What the hell is that? Oh, it’s the recoil master, heart attack avoided. Slide to frame fit was, well… it was perfect. Barrel lock up tight yet, unlocked and locked very nicely. Slide was blended to the frame. Something I thought was the mark of a custom build. Trigger was, horrible, absolute garbage, I’m just kidding, it wasn’t that bad. It was the standard 1911 factory trigger, not good, not bad, it will work. Overall, I was happy with it and I took it home for cleaning.

Break down, I took the Edge down to the frame and cleaned each piece. At this point, every part of me wanted to start polishing and tinkering. Internal parts were fit well, just certain parts were not polished like you find on a custom. No big deal, polishing up the internals later on is easy. Just breathe, I contained myself to shoot the Edge first before I did anything to give it an honest review. In addition, I have never used a recoil master before so I left that in as well to give it a try.

Range. I have heard these don’t run out of the box and need a break in period. Well maybe I got lucky, maybe I got a Tuesday gun, maybe the rumored new quality standards are working. The Edge went bang every single time, factory, reloads, short, long, it didn’t matter, ate everything. Wow, I was impressed, this gun was very easy to shoot. The recoil master, well that made recoil very nice, but the feel is different. Not better or worse than a standard guide rod, just different. I’ll have to leave it in for a bit to see if I like it, I don’t know, most likely I will take it out.

Match. Having such good luck at the range I decide to bring the Edge to a local match for a bit more fun. Stock STI mags, stock STI Edge, and 5.0 gr of N320 at 1.195 with Zero 180 JHP’s to play for the day. For the record, I don’t know if my ammo makes major or not in the Edge. It has to be close, but it’s a local match and it’s close enough to shoot with the boys. Bang, bang, bang like a champ and I was having a great match with my new friend the Edge. The third stage was where I encounter a hiccup with the Edge. Failure to feed, I didn’t chamber check my rounds, so it could have been the ammo. Additionally, I hadn’t oiled the gun for about 400 rounds at this point. I cannot blame this on the Edge as I oiled it, finished the match, then some buddies and I put about another 500 rounds through it after the match with no issues.

In closing, I’m now well over the 1,000 round mark and fully trust this Edge. In fact, I have bonded with the Edge and am looking forward to shooting it this season. Outside of a trigger job, fiber optic front sight and a grip texture, I’m leaving the Edge alone. I’m going to continue to test the recoil master out to decide if I like it or not. I have my standard replacement parts on standby if something breaks, but for now I am happy with the Edge. Actually, I’m really digging it at the moment and can’t wait for the next local match and the Steel Nationals coming up. Yup, this is the gun I am going to use for the US Steel Shoot. I’ll report back around the 5,000 round mark in about a week or two. For now, if you need a limited gun in a hurry, it's hard to beat. On the other hand, if you have the money and time permits, bottom line, any smith in the vendor tent of this forum will give you a gun with a better fit and finsih. Hope this helps, if any of you find yourself needing something quickly, needing a solid back up gun, or are on a budget.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

_Mike :cheers:

Thanks for the great review. I'm definitely on a budget and thinking of doing the same thing with the plan of sending it to a gunsmith after a year to be tuned, lightened, and made all-around more awesome. I may go with a bushing barrel Eagle to increase my options for IDPA and then get a whole new slide custom done for a sight tracker after a year. Anyway, I'll look forward to your progress. Post pics if you can. I know its a stock Edge, but I can't look at enough guns and this is posted in The Gallery.

Nice review!

In late 2010 I picked up a Brazos HP Edge and have been extremely happy with it. I had a few failures to fire in the first couple of months and traced it to hammer follow. My fault because I took the trigger down to less than 2 lbs. bumped it up to a 2.7 and have no more issues. It also feeds any ammo i have put through it but all my .40s go through a GRX die. I always like the look of the nice customs but all I care about in a match gun is reliability. Someday I might treat myself to another custom build but my Edge is all i need for now.

Brian

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Much appreciated. I read this before buying my hard chrome Edge in .40. I used the Dawson mag tuning kit with stock internals before firing. I'm new to mag tuning, but the pistol is getting through break in without hiccups, ~ 200 rounds including zero, practice and one match. I'm shooting commercial 180gr flat nose, 1.13" OAL, speced for 935fps out of a 4" bbl. I should be getting better than the estimated 168 PF with a 5"-will verify when I get my chrono back. The recoilmaster seemed a bit over sprung at 1st, but after leaving the slide locked back for a couple of days and replacing the thick factory lube, the pistol is chucking brass out 3-4'. This gun does shoot softer than my XDm 5.25 9mm - not too surprising given the weight. I have grams spring/follower kits and addition DP pads inbound for the mix of 126 and 140 mm mags. Planning to toss the mag tubes in the brass polisher as well. I'll post up here if any issues develop. Otherwise, my Edge will still be running like a sewing machine. :)

Update

I finally got to the 5,000 round mark and it is running like a sewing machine now. The bad part is that I had the pleasure of meeting STI's warranty department. The good part is that they fixed the issue and all is well now. So, even if you get a bad Edge, they stand behind their product and will fix it. I must say David Cupp is a really great person to deal with. I was hot mad when my gun died on me, but David made it all better. In the end, even after waiting 2 months to get it back :angry: I am still glad that I went the STI Edge route. It's been a solid pistol and done everthing I have needed it to do. Plus if I ever have another issue with it I was told just send it back.

The upside, David Cupp sprinkled a little magic dust into it. The action, slide to frame, and trigger feels silky smooth. Hey if you have the money, are a M or GM, have sponsorship, or need the greatest, sure go get a custom. If you are a regular dude and want to save some money, but want the 2011 platform. Get an STI Edge ;)

I hear a lot of people say get a used custom over an Edge. Sure maybe, but be careful, you may be buying junk or a problem gun. Plus, if your frame or slide cracks on that used gun you will be the one with the bill to get it fixed. Sure, the STI Edge may not have all the glitz and glamour, but it gets the job done. It's a good tool for a fun sport.

Thank you STI and Mr. Cupp

:cheers:

Edited by OperationHitFactor

I was looking at the STI edge as my new limited gun. I would love to hear what you would change, polish etc. And a good list of comparisons for other pistols in that price range.

I would give it a better trigger, blend the magwell to the grip, ditch the recoil master.

Price range?? Nothing I know of in the same price range. The CZ Taztical Sport is quasi in the same "+$1000 pistol range" and I like that as well, but I like the 2011 platform better personally. There is also EAA Limited, but it needs some work to get where it needs to be from what I have seen, but great guns after you give it a good tune up. The Sig X5 is in the same price range if you want to be different, great gun, but... not my cup of tea.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten the Hard Chrome version, short dust cover frame, and a classic slide, with a bushing barrel. So a Hard Chrome Eagle. Just to have the option for IDPA, plus I like the balance better and splits don't win matches. :ph34r:

What was the warranty issue?

Not going there. It was fixed, I'm happy, the warranty department was easy to work with, things happen. Not going to turn this into a warranty debate or rant. I just wanted to share my experience so that other shooters can make the best choice for themselves. I only shared my issue, to explain it does get fixed, if something goes wrong.

What was the warranty issue?

Not going there. It was fixed, I'm happy, the warranty department was easy to work with, things happen. Not going to turn this into a warranty debate or rant. I just wanted to share my experience so that other shooters can make the best choice for themselves. I only shared my issue, to explain it does get fixed, if something goes wrong.

Not looking to debate. As an owner, I have an interest in potential issues, any anything that may be done to prevent them. Not sure we're doing STI any favors by keeping it a mystery. If you won't post it, please pm it.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Did they fix the problem?

If this question is for me I never sent it in but ended up selling it to a friend just didn't feel like it was for me at the time. Sorry double post damn IPhone.

Edited by G34 CORDY