Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

akai open guns

ffgats

Hello,

Ive been looking at the Akai custom gun site, wow , what a beauty, now I am contemplating of ordering on, but I have no idea which model. Preferrably would go with 9 major with a Quinn2 mount. but of course have to talk to Akai which one he would recommends for caliber wise. Can anybody share their experience in any of these models. in my heart I like the Shogun. thanks

Yes, Shay makes some awesome guns! My buddy shoots a Katana and I plan on making that my next Open gun. He let me shoot it and it is really nice! I like the idea of going with a Quinn and 9Major, that is what I have now.

What do you shoot now?

Give Shay a call, he'll walk you through the whole process. I recently ordered an open gun from him and he had a lot of great insight into each of the models and the pros and cons of each for my style of shooting. I'm 100% confident that the gun I ordered is gonna be the right one for me.

I'm waiting for my Katana right now - about 2 months into a 3 to 6 month wait. The anticipation killing me. There is a long post about why I chose Akai in this forum, complete with spreadsheets!

I'm planning to do a in depth review when it comes in. I tell you the wait is much harder than I thought it would be!

I'm waiting for my Katana right now - about 2 months into a 3 to 6 month wait. The anticipation killing me. There is a long post about why I chose Akai in this forum, complete with spreadsheets!

I'm planning to do a in depth review when it comes in. I tell you the wait is much harder than I thought it would be!

I think you will find it was well worth the wait! and actually 3-6mos is really not that bad, compared to some other smiths. Maybe you will have it in another month (be optimistic). I feel your pain brother. : )

Hello,

Ive been looking at the Akai custom gun site, wow , what a beauty, now I am contemplating of ordering on, but I have no idea which model. Preferrably would go with 9 major with a Quinn2 mount. but of course have to talk to Akai which one he would recommends for caliber wise. Can anybody share their experience in any of these models. in my heart I like the Shogun. thanks

Have you ever shot a mid-size/shorty vs full-size? They are slightly different beast. I like them both, but they both have pros and cons.

Just my personal opinion, but for 9 major I'd go for the Emperor with a hybrid barrel no holes. It will be a very nice shooting platform, even more so for someone new to Open. If your heart is set on 9 major... The Shogun would be my pick for 38SC. A 9 major Shogun isn't bad, but will be harder for a new Open shooter to drive at first, but down the road in good hands a fast platform. Just my 2 cents, but in the end, go with gun you think will make you happy. Being happy with your gun and practice is really the main formula with Open.

In the end, call Shay, tell him your expectations and decide with him. He knows his guns the best.

Hello,

i hope this will help http://www.acguns.com/

Hello,

Have you ever shot a mid-size/shorty vs full-size? They are slightly different beast. I like them both, but they both have pros and cons.

Just my personal opinion, but for 9 major I'd go for the Emperor with a hybrid barrel no holes. It will be a very nice shooting platform, even more so for someone new to Open. If your heart is set on 9 major... The Shogun would be my pick for 38SC. A 9 major Shogun isn't bad, but will be harder for a new Open shooter to drive at first, but down the road in good hands a fast platform. Just my 2 cents, but in the end, go with gun you think will make you happy. Being happy with your gun and practice is really the main formula with Open.

In the end, call Shay, tell him your expectations and decide with him. He knows his guns the best.

I am shooting right now a full size 9major, with a schuemann rib bbl. I just switch from a midsize 38super. I"ve been shooting open since the 90"s , and they are the old power factor of 175. Personally, and in theory I beleive the supers is the ideal for an open caliber, but its the brass that let me switch to 9mm major, that the reason I am posting this quwstion to ask you guys your experience. caliber/ models wise,

I am shooting right now a full size 9major, with a schuemann rib bbl. I just switch from a midsize 38super. I"ve been shooting open since the 90"s , and they are the old power factor of 175. Personally, and in theory I beleive the supers is the ideal for an open caliber, but its the brass that let me switch to 9mm major, that the reason I am posting this quwstion to ask you guys your experience. caliber/ models wise,

Well in that case, buy a mid-size 9 major. You'll figure out the timing, plus from your comment in your first post, it's what you want.

If you can swing it go for a 38 Super Comp down the road. It will give you a back up too. I know a lot of guys who shoot 9 major most of the year. Then switch to 38 the weeks leading up to a major match. Also there is the option of two top ends.

Eitherway, you'll still be able to hit those alphas. :cheers:

Shay builds great guns. I have a shogun in 38sc loved it some much I ordered another to match with his new comp. I have shot the katana in 9 major and it was a very flat fast gun. Give him a shout tell him what your looking for in a gun and he will build you just that.

I own one of Shay's earliest builds when he started out. After looking on his site mine resembles the shogun the most with 2 vent holes and briely comp( he didn't come out with his yet.) I've started to shoot it seriously in November( got it in August but didn't want to change guns in the middle of a season), as of yesterday the gun has Over 4300+ rounds fired through it. It is not as pretty as it once was new but man u couldn't pry her out of my cold dead hands ;). There that good :D

I shot the full size emperor in .38 SC it was hands down the FINEST most flat shooting open gun i have ever had put my hands on. The dot would barley even wiggle. amazing gun. I shot the Katana and found out within in two shots its not for me. A fine gun quick wicked fast but does not fit my style.

I have shot several custom guns from the big names since I had been in the market for a custom. I decided on the emperor can't wait till I can get one.

Just left the shop a little while ago and wanted to let y'all know that there's a lot of wicked builds underway. They had the full spectrum going. I saw a range of different Open, Limited, Single Stack, and Production guns in their various stages of completion. If you're on deck for one of these guns, make ready for a whole boatload of AWESOME!!!!! biggrin.gif

Just left the shop a little while ago and wanted to let y'all know that there's a lot of wicked builds underway. They had the full spectrum going. I saw a range of different Open, Limited, Single Stack, and Production guns in their various stages of completion. If you're on deck for one of these guns, make ready for a whole boatload of AWESOME!!!!! biggrin.gif

Any pics? :goof:

Did you happen to see a full size Katana in 38SC waiting for it's new home in New Mexico? :devil: