Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 9mm Trojan Issues

skdmrklcy

Well I just picked up my new 9mm Trojan that I was hoping to start using in USPSA/IDPA. It is sadly not going all that smooth...

When I ordered it I went ahead and picked up 4 more Wilson ETM mags to go with the 2 I had from when I had a Kimber 9mm. If the Wilson ETM mags are in the gun it will only lock the slide back some of the time. It pushes up the slide stop a tiny bit but if you breath on it the slide drops. If I use the mag it came with it does work better. The funny thing is the factory mag will not eject as it gets hung up in the factory mag-well. Just can't win.

I have tried reducing the tension on the slide stop plunger and it works better but it is still not right. The slide stop itself is rather poorly finished with some nice machine marks on it. I did what I could without removing any materiel with no effect.

I am at a loss, I e-mailed the vendor and STI in hopes of some other idea but not sure what else it could be. Both styles of mags come up to the ejector but do not hit it, and they seem to be held as far up as is really possible so the mag catch seems fine.

I see a lot of people have good luck with trip mags, but I already have 6 of the Wilson ETM mag. I still need to buy some mag pouches and a holster. I do not have the funds to buy more mags, these should work..

Would it be possible that a change of the slide stop and a new plunger pin assembly do the trick? Or if I want this to work I have to spend $200 on 6 more mags?

I am really aggravated right now, I wanted to really like this pistol as my first STI.. but this has not been positive. It didn’t help that out of the sealed factory bag it had some sort of crud all over the bottom of the grips and inside the mag well. I can only assume it was Loctite as it looked like it was coming from the grip screw bushing. It took an hour or so of rubbing in the mag well to get it out and the finish was all goofed up in the mag well. Not that it matters much you do not see it but still.

Took a pic of it in an effort to try to bond with it still.

IMGP3033.jpg

If you remove the slide, so you can watch what is going on, does it appear the follower of the magazine pushes up the slide stop far enough? Or, does it seem to push up far enough, but, not with enough force? You can check that by removing the safeties,so there is no spring pressure on the slide stop.

Without seeing it, I would guess that you need a slide stop with more material on the bottom,where the follower hits it, so the mag follower can push it up higher/with more force.

With the slide off they will both push it up all the way, but it seems it does move up with more force with the stock mag. Which is funny as the springs are much stiffer on the Wilsons.

Now if I leave the thumb safety off with the plungers and spring out the Wilsons will work fine every time.

I have already taken all the tension I can out of the spring without it not doing the job it is supposed to.

Be sure you are not riding the slide stop with your thumb. I had almost the same problems with a STI Sentry. After much trial and error found out that even a slight amount of finger contact with the slide stop ended lock back. See if it locks back shooting strong/weak hand only. I can get away with some finger on the slide stop with a 45 mag. - not a 9mm. Both Tripp and Metal-Form mags (9 or 10 round)have worked well for me.

Edited by Doc Hunter

I believe the "crud" was probably cosmoline, which is normal when a firearm is put in storage for a while.

You've never bought a Mosin, I see :)

Several actually I live not far from AIMSurplus and we used to go up every other week and buy some new old rifle. This is when they were all super cheap. Great fun to clean that stuff out.

This was something else that had hardened somewhat, it is out now so that is no big deal.

I think I found most of the problem last night, the slide stop is not square. The pin part that goes though frame is at a very slight angle to the rest. I am not sure how I missed it till now. It is forcing a gap b/t the frame and the slide stop (small) that has everything working at a slight angle and binding. I am going to order a new slide stop and plunger assembly and go from there.

I am sure if I call they will send me one, but I may as well switch to a tool steal part while I am at it.

I had the same issue with my Trojan when it was new. The first thing I did was change the mag catch to a EGW to help hold the mag slightly higher in the gun. I hit the slide stop pin with a fine grit paper and then a drop of oil. I also sanded and then polished the living hell out of the rear of the of the slide stop where it contacts the plunger. I then removed the followers of my Wilson mags and lightly sanded the front of the followers and added a very small amount of oil. This seemed to do the trick. None of these issues are causing the entire problem, but together they can mess up the entire function of the gun. Honestly, the best thing to do is just lube the gun, dry fire it, cycle it, and shoot the crap out of it for a little while. It takes some time to get a Trojan broken in IMO. Good luck let me know how it goes. :)

Took some photos of the slide stop were you can see it is not square to the frame and it has a gap.

IMGP3067.jpg

Here is one from the crud that I had to get out you can see how it is either hardened onto the frame or prevented the bluing from bonding. Not sure which it is smooth now after using a lot of CLP and several dozen paper towels/patches and shop rags. Still looks quite nasty.

IMGP3061.jpg

IMGP3057.jpg

Sorry to hear you are having problems with a new gun. It's a drag to drop over $1000 on a gun and then need to put in a bunch of new parts to get it to work right. I can see making mods, but the gun should perform basic functions normally and not need "special mags" to run. If that's the case, why docent STI send you the special mags? The Trojan is such a pretty gun, but the few I have seen in action have all sorts of issues. In fact EVERY one I've seen in action has had issues...now to be fair about it, I live in MA, so I've only seen a few, but still it is a bummer. So I have to ask, why are these guns all the rage? I am not bashing here, in fact I would LOVE to have an STI, but all these reports make me concerned.

The mag thing out of the box was an issue and the finish spot is an issue. Now if I fix the slide stop and it does not work with Wilson ETM mags.. it is really not an issue with the gun. Some combos just don't work, but I would like it to work.

Now I was able to tweak it so the slide stop works fine with a stock mag, but it is still not right. It is also not what I would call a major deal. I am sure they will send me one, or offer to take care of it. I can spend the $50 on a new tool steal 10-8 or Harrison Slide Stop, and it is an upgrade.

The finish and gunk thing I have no idea what happened, but I am sure that is not the norm. Not sure what they could do to take care of that one, but it is in the mag well so who really cares. It does worry me a little if I went to sell it, that would not go over too well with most buyers.

No company is 100% all of the time. So am I disappointed that it is not perfect and 100% out of the box... well yeah. Would I buy another STI, I am sure I would. I want a 2011 at some point and I am sure it will be an STI.

If I replace the slide stop and can't get it to work with Wilsons that is not the guns problem really. I will either try new followers or sell them and get some others.

A friend has a Trojan in 9mm and swera by the Wilson magazines. My Trojan in 40 S&W is the least reliable 1911 I own when it comes to keeping the slide open afer firing the last round. In contrast my Dan Wesson Pointman's in 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP function reliably with the inexpensive Metalform magazines.

It would be nice if Dan Wesson would make more of the 9mm PM9 guns. I have seen a few but they seem to go as fast as they are up for sale.

I sent off an E-Mail with everything to STI as suggested from the vendor. Waiting to see what they say, I was hoping to use this in May for a few classes and maybe a small match in April. Looks like that may not happen now, so I will have to see what kind of backup I can come up with. I do not want to pay for a bunch of .45 or use my Glock 19.. hmmm.

You just want to shoot it!

If push comes to shove I will run my Glock 19 for a bit. That will be not fun but is totally doable.

I am debating if I should just order a replacement and see if I can fix it myself, if I can't then it is wasted money on a gun I am not having positive vibes with atm.

If I can I hoping I will grow to love and appreciate it... Cause if I pass it along I am sure I will loose a ton.

I've had mine around three years now took a little effort to get it running 100%. I removed two coils from the Wilson magazines, to much spring pressure. Polished several places on the inside of the slide as well as slide release. It would stop at the take down notch when chambering a round. Rounded the area on the slide release so the slide would close. Take very little metal from the slide release just smooth it up. Might need a few light strokes with a fine file around the slide lock notch, again go light.

My gun broke the stock ejector right away so check with the slide removed that the magazines are not hitting the ejector. Wilson magazines hit the ejector on my gun. Ejector was replaced with a 38/40 ejector, STI sent the part and a small amount of trimming was needed from the bottom of the ejector to clear the magazine. I went with an Ed Brown extended magazine release and mag well.

Had problems with the stock extractor and replaced it with an Aftec, money well spent.

I like the recoil impuls shooting heavier bullets. I found my gun ran best with a nine pound recoil spring and a seventeen pound main spring. It's hard to get these little nines running with light springs but the rewards are worth it. Mine's accurate and lays the brass just to the right of my foot.

1911's like oil, I use Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic motor oil a quart goes a long way and it's good lube, run the gun wet which ever type of oil you like.

My Trojan took some time to get it running 100%, now it's at the top of my keeper list. These little guns are cheap to shoot and a lot of fun. It's worth the time and a few parts you'll really enjoy it once it's tuned to your needs.

It would be nice if Dan Wesson would make more of the 9mm PM9 guns. I have seen a few but they seem to go as fast as they are up for sale.

I sent off an E-Mail with everything to STI as suggested from the vendor. Waiting to see what they say, I was hoping to use this in May for a few classes and maybe a small match in April. Looks like that may not happen now, so I will have to see what kind of backup I can come up with. I do not want to pay for a bunch of .45 or use my Glock 19.. hmmm.

Their warranty turn around seems pretty quick (for the gun world) They are replacing the F/O front sight, cutting front cocking serrations in the slide and then re-blueing the slide, they told me 3 weeks. It has been a week already and I am ready to have it back. I LOVE this gun!

Why not call STI get a RMA# and return the pistol and send a few mags along so they can make the necessary repairs to make it work with your mags and also clean up the mag area from all the gook. It's okay to email for the record but a phone call will get better & faster results. Good luck. IMHO your best bet in the long run will be to purchase Tripp mags.

clean the hell out of it (gun scrubber if necessary), then oil the crap out of it. Take it to the range and perform a proper break in. Document your steps and if the problem persists, call sti. Did you purchase the gun from Dawson? If so, give them a call before you start.

PS, sorry to hear about your issue, my trojan 9 runs like a sewing machine.

I called and they offered to send out a new slide stop, but I can't seem to find my calipers... They suggested just keeping it oiled to prevent rust in the mag well, but I did not press the issue.

I went ahead and just ordered a EGW Slide Stop 9/38 (.200) and a new plunger assembly. Also got a DP IDPA legal extended mag catch just cause. If I can get it working I will be happy. I figure push comes to shove I am out $60 bucks, and can fall back on the warranty if I fail. I will not modify anything in the frame or link.

I know if I send it in I will end up with an extreme dislike of it.. I am odd I know this. The extractor seems to be working as it should and the tension is good. I am hoping this gets it going pretty good, then I will be thrilled.

The 10 round 9mm tripp research mags ran so well in my STI I became a dealer! There isn't a better mag on the market for the STI trojan.

+1 to that, I run an STI Sentry in 9mm with factory ammo all day, never had an issue with the Tripp mags and the metalform mag that it came with, this is the first 1911 i can say has run 100% out of the box (I have even had a Nighthawk that had an issue though that may have been because I was testing too light of a recoil spring). I have 2 friends that i shoot with that have Trojans neither 1 was flawless out of the box with Tripp mags, the other was running the dawson precision mags and he has been happy with it. sorry you are having issues with it I would definitely say it is the exception and not the norm.

Received a reply to my original E-Mail and they want me to send it in. I just printed my call tag so I will drop it off with UPS sometime tomorrow.

I think this will be better than trying to mess with it, I am sure they will make it right. Hopefully it comes back in time, but I am thinking pretty hard about just adding something else to the mix while I wait.

Sure the wife will love that :P