Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major 124 gr jhp montana gold load data

I use Winchester 231 / HP38 4.4 gr with an OAL of 1.125-1.130 using MG 9MM 124 gr JHP, with mixed range pick up. I like it out of my Glock 17, Glock 34, and Keltec S2K. I get about 1090+ fps for around 136 power factor. Hope this helps you.

There are a tons of loads on here, did search for 9Major?

My current load is 8.5 of HS-6, CCI spm, oal:1.165, out of a Trubor with 2 popple holes. This gives me a consistent 170 PF. Great load, just dirty.

Welcome to the forum!

Edited by gng4life

I find them to be very accurate on the upper end of published data. I use WSF powder with them and like to push my 9mm 124gr montana gold over 1100fps. You can safely do this with WSF since it's a slower burner than W231. 5.3gr of WSF will put you at 1115 fps and is the max according to Winchester's published data (32k pressure). Their range is 4.7 to 5.3gr. You can push it even faster without going near +P pressures with a tad more. My OAL on all of these is 1.150. I've safely gone higher than this to simulate my 124gr carry ammo.

Remember, he asking about 9MAJOR. He is talking WAY over 1100 fps.

I'm running 7.3 AutoComp with 121's and getting a pf of 174. That's around 1440 fps.

For 124's most guys who use AutoComp are in the 7-7.2 range.

Good luck and be careful.

Remember, he asking about 9MAJOR. He is talking WAY over 1100 fps.

I'm running 7.3 AutoComp with 121's and getting a pf of 174. That's around 1440 fps.

For 124's most guys who use AutoComp are in the 7-7.2 range.

Good luck and be careful.

Thats right Top. I was using 7.4 of WAC with my setup but HS6 felt better so I dont use it anymore.

I'm actually heading to the range shortly to run some HS 6 over the chrono. I like the AC but you guys keep insisting HS 6 is better so I thought I would give it a test run.

6.8 of Autocomp with MG 124 JHP @1.165". 1374 FPS at 170 PF, 5 shot group at 25 yds was 1.25" with Shueman Barrel no poppel holes and Bedell comp. Also use this load in an M&P open gun built by Randy LEE

Silhoutte 7.9gr over 124gr MG, 1.170 OAL gives me 170PF.

Silhoutte 7.7gr w/ Win SPP gives me 172pf or I run 7.5gr with magnum primers. Keep in mind Silhouette is reverse temp sensative and when it gets cold I've hit 189pf. This was at a major match and the same load did 168pf at 113 at last years Double Tap.

Silhoutte is my favorite inspite of its flaws reverse temp sensative, and oatmeal dirty. HS6 and Auto comp give very similar performance just a bit more slap in the palm. (Sarge there isn't a lot of difference in these powders behind a 124/125gr bullet).

I use MTG CMJ exclusively at 1.165 and the accuracy is very good. I tried 115gr and the accuracy wasn't there YMMV.

Edited by CocoBolo

6.8 of Autocomp with MG 124 JHP @1.165". 1374 FPS at 170 PF, 5 shot group at 25 yds was 1.25" with Shueman Barrel no poppel holes and Bedell comp.

I used to use HS6 and 115 grain MG JHP's, but switched

to WAC (7.0 grain) with a 124 gr MG JHP - like it better

and the case isn't as full of powder.

Wish I could report the same accuracy as Darrell, but it's

pretty good - nice safe, mild load (relatively speaking,

for 9mm major).

I'd say the two to start with are HS6 and WAC - all other

powders people are using require a lot of tweaking, some

disadvantages, and are IMHO not the best to start with.

Of course, we are using a chrono on load development !!!

Good luck,

Jack

(Sarge there isn't a lot of difference in these powders behind a 124/125gr bullet).

I'm with you there. I went to the range today and as usual expected to hear music from the heavens indicating I had found the miracle 9MAJOR load in HS-6.

Just doesn't work that way. The load felt a tiny bit softer but really not anything I would notice on the clock. I barely noticed it shooting slow fire. Dot seemed pretty much the same. So for me I'll be staying with WAC for now.

I loaded 8.6 and 8.8 HS-6 with 121's @1.165 and got a PF of 173 and 178 respectively. I only chronoed 3 rounds of the 8.8's as they were pushing 1500 fps and flattened the begeezus out of my WSR's. Even the 8.6 load was taking the roundness off the primers a tad and getting me the same readings on the chrono as my 7.2 WAC load.

I know I did not shoot enough of the HS-6 to prove much but my SD was higher with the HS-6 as well. I am at 8 or less with WAC and was between 8-11 with the HS.

My tests have repeatedly shown me that for my gun and with my bullets WAC is a very good powder.

well I will see tomorrow. I got 8.6 grains hs-6 behind a 124 and 8.8 , 9.0 and 9.2 behing a 115 all jhp all @ 1.165 will report it on my other post its going to take alot to beat my auto comp load.

Edited by Mat Price

well I will see tomorrow. I got 8.6 grains hs-6 behind a 124 and 8.8 , 9.0 and 9.2 behing a 115 all jhp all @ 1.165 will report it on my other post its going to take alot to beat my auto comp load.

You are starting at 8.6? That seems high to start off with. I did a ton of reading on here before i did my loads and most are using 8.0 - 8.2. My gun seems slow and 8.2 was only 163 PF in mine but I seem to have the slowest Trubor on the forums. Your loads for the 115 seem inline with what most use.

Use caution!

I run

7.8 gr of HS-6

Range brass

Standard Winchester primers

124 MGJHP

1.165 OAL

I get between 167pf and 171 of depending on the day out of a factory original STI Trubor.

Remember every gun is different and OAL Makes a noticeable difference. So while 7.8 gr of HS-6 works well at 1.165 is not a good load at 1.145.

If this gun is new to you I would suggest finding your most reliable OAL first then start on the low end of the powder range and work up.

I'm using the MG 124 JHP's over 8.0 gr of True Blue at 1.170 OAL with Fed SPP. Gives me a chrono of 1380-1400 FPS out of my TruBore Grandmaster.

I have tested Sil but found it dirtier. Also found that the JHP's grouped much tighter (2 vs 4" @ 25 yds)than MG's 124 CMJ's.

True Blue is clean and meters very well and I'm sticking with it.

You are starting at 8.6? That seems high to start off with. I did a ton of reading on here before i did my loads and most are using 8.0 - 8.2. My gun seems slow and 8.2 was only 163 PF in mine but I seem to have the slowest Trubor on the forums. Your loads for the 115 seem inline with what most use.

Use caution!

OK anyone want to buy some autocomp?!?! lol no I have to test this new load with reps on my drills but i will see.

GNG I promise you dont have the slowest trubor on here. There is plenty data with that high of a charge with a 124. HOWEVER with that said see this post link to conversation about hs-6 with most of the people on this thread I have already went that route. Also why did you stop @ 8.2 grains did you see pressure signs? I mean I keep going till I hit the Pf I want or I start seeing primers getting flat.

Use caution!

OK anyone want to buy some autocomp?!?! lol no I have to test this new load with reps on my drills but i will see.

GNG I promise you dont have the slowest trubor on here. There is plenty data with that high of a charge with a 124. HOWEVER with that said see this post link to conversation about hs-6 with most of the people on this thread I have already went that route. Also why did you stop @ 8.2 grains did you see pressure signs? I mean I keep going till I hit the Pf I want or I start seeing primers getting flat.

Good! Glad to know I'm not the only one. I did another search and could not find anyone with 8.5 of HS6 using magnum primers and only coming in at 169-170 PF. Do you have a link to a post? Even your results where at 173-175 with 8.5 so I still haven't found anyone slower :)

Thanks

does anyone have load suggestions using Montana Gold 124 jhp, and opinions on this bullet first time using them

You need to post what powders are available to you or are you going to order powder online? HS6 and Winchester Auto Comp can normally be found locally. Other powders for 9 Major would (more that likely) have to be ordered.

wait are you saying you were using 8.5 grains and only getting 169-170 ?

Yes, see post #3. At home, I usually come in consistently at 170. At three major matches last year, I came in at d169.x, 169.x, 170.x. It is a very consistent powder but I'm playing with some TB and Sil to see how I like them. So far, I am really liking the TB. Seems to be the same feel as HS6 but much cleaner so far. Also I use a little less (right about 8.1 now) to make 170 but I have only tested it once. Going back to the range this week to see if doing drills with that and HS6 will yield enough differences to change.