Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Friday flame war 11/1

3quartertime

Finally!!!

Companies that lure you to work for them then mismanage themselves into the ground should share a jail cell with the enron rats!!!

Clubs that take two stinkin' weeks to send out match results suck.

What ever happened to newbies posting in the newbie forums first.  Maybe I'm the last of my kind again!!!

(Edited by 3quartertime at 5:44 am on Nov. 1, 2002)

I'll tell you what sucks, the gasoline price fixing that goes on with the big oil companies.  How can prices flactuate 30 cents a week if they buy their oil 90 days in advance.  I tell you it is a comspiracy, just like the cost of new cars and trucks.  Two years ago I bought a new pickup and paid more for it than I did my first house, simply incredible.

People who think a "little gun control" is okay and it won't hurt them are morons!  Is it illegal to kill someone?  Is it illegal to rob someone?  Is it illegal to rape someone!  Yes?  Then who gives a damn HOW those crimes were commited?!?!?!?!?  Lock the bastards up, fry 'em, do what ever the punishment for that crime is!  Don't take my rights away in some veiled attempt at punishing people who won't obey your stupid law anyway!  I suppose before guns were around we didn't have ANY crime.

Of course the sheep who follow the leaders of the anti-gun movement are the only ones who believe that crap anyway.  The leaders, for the most part, are up to bigger and nastier things.  

I mentioned in another thread my hatred for the so called "liberal."  99.99% of all people that call themselves liberal don't have an open minded bone in their bodies.  They are a bunch of whining, tree hugging, fur hating, nimrods that are as close minded as can be and they HATE that the rest of the world doesn't see things the same way they do.  Liberal, HAH!

-jhgtyre

Having 4 shooters wanting to come over and practice and not show with only one calling suxz.

1X2X8 slats for target stands are too stinkin' expensive.  They should come in 10' lengths to cut in half.  When I find out who keeps shootin' the sticks I'm gonna...

How many moderators can there be on a forum???  geesh!!!

You know what sucks?  Getting all pumped up to shoot your first "big" match, order a case of ammo (cause you are 900 miles from your 650 and have been for 4 months), then only to find out that the match was cancelled !!!  Why?  Because of RAIN!!! (the range is "too wet")  And to take it a step further, rain is what brought me here in the first place and what has kept me away from my press and shooting for four months.  Thank you Texas Floods, thank you TS Isidore, thank you Hurricane Lili!!!

Mother nature sucks, and blows...(sometimes litterally)

(Edited by BigDave at 6:55 pm on Nov. 1, 2002)

OK.  I'll tell you what really sucks!   Having an aching back and looking forward to a nice hot soaking bath all day.  (High temp was 20 degrees)   And getting so busy BSing with your shooting buddies that you run a nice big tub of luke warm water.   :(    

OK, I made my kid take a bath, turns out the temp is just right for her and her plastic animal menagerie.  

I'll tell you what I think sucks

The latest gun controle whitch hunt has invaded one of my favorite local gunshops.  Apparently the rifle used in the "DC"  sniper shootings came from one of my favorite gun stores.  I have heard so far no evidence on wrong doing on the part of the gun store other than some allegedly missing paperwork and yet it seems that the fed is going to try and shut the store down and nail the owner to the wall.  

I think that sucks

Though I personally have no evidence for or against, the owner of our local shooting range just told me an hour ago that this same gun store owner of which you speak could not (allegedly) account for about 300 or so firearms that passed thru his store. Just a comment from an industry insider.

"Industy insider" my ass. I teach at the Bull's-Eye. I know the owner to be a man of honor. The amount of "missing" paperwork has been grossly inflated by the local anti-gun newspapers, the Tacoma News Tribune and Seattle Times, to 340. I mean, these papers are printing RUMORS as if they were facts. That has never been a real number. And the real number is getting smaller all the time as Bull's-Eye workers page through 4473s. The ATF is not "about to shut the place down," though I'm sure in the newspapers' wet dreams that would be case with every gun shop. Talked to the owner today, and the ATF is being extremely professional, the Bull's-Eye is doing whatever they can to help with their investigation. The only people not acting with extreme profesionalism are leftist so-called liberal journalists who see a chance to shout "Fire!" in a crowded theater.

(Edited by Duane Thomas at 1:46 pm on Nov. 4, 2002)

All I know is what I was told (again, by someone who knows more about such things than I do, and I qualified it as such)... and I didn't have the time this afternoon to pursue the topic with him in any more detail than I did at that moment. I had a feeling by even mentioning it here that more of the truth would graciously emerge. Which seemed to be the case. And for that I'm grateful. Better than trying to dig for the truth in the newspaper(s), right...?

I agree that the media is not really doing its job properly (refer: the thread on media bias...) and it gets proven over and over again every day, every hour. I have no argument there--I've been inside that one.

Now that you've gone and mentioned your intimate connection to this situation, can we depend on you to (forgive the play on words) keep us posted on this...?

Tah.

OK, I rest my case.

Now you understand why I *despise* the media.  Virtually never, do the true facts of the any controversial case match the media's coverage - as anyone who has seen the inside of a "news story" can attest.  Pertinent facts are purposefully omitted and distorted to make everything seem far worse than it really is.  About the only facts which seem to be consistently reported are today's date and page numbers.  Everything else is garbage.  

About 2 years ago, I was involved in a serious mountaineering accident.  As one of the only available eyewitnesses,  the reporters swarmed me.  I refused to grant an interview - as all they were interested in was using my badly injured friend as a blood and guts teaser.  I decided to let the vultures scavenge elsewhere.  Screw 'em.  All the other reputable climbers and rescue personnel automatically followed suit and similarly refused interviews.  (Climbers stick together.  Period.  It's an unspoken commitment, but the bond is probably stronger than many marriages.)

What happened next?  The cameras zoomed in on the first moron who claimed to be an "eyewitness" and started spewing forth nonsense "facts."  One fact for sure was that this loser didn't get within 2 miles of the scene and didn't know sh*t.  Think about that the next time you see an "eyewitness" account on the evening news.  People will lie through their teeth just to get face on TV.  The reporters don't care.  All they care about is getting their dirt on air first.

Maybe I could have tried to set the record straight, but I doubt it would have mattered.  Sensationalism trumps fact in the American news business - which makes it an inherently evil enterprise in my estimation.  The media couldn't really give a damn about the damage it does.  All that matters is:  "what's good for me *right now*?"  They're totally morally and ethically bankrupt.  Don't believe me?  Try talking sense and ethics to one of them sometime.  They'll say, "yeah....yeah...yeah...I agree."  Then they'll go right back to their misguided ways ten seconds later.  

I think people are finally getting the message and doing what I'm doing:  refusing to participate.  I don't watch the news.  I cancelled my subscription to the paper.  I subscribe to no so-called "news" magazines.  And I damn sure won't give them information.  I refuse to fund or assist the enterprise in any way shape or form.  I know folks think gentle persuasion and logic will fix the problem.  I wish I could be so optimistic.  I think the only way to fix the problem is to freeze the bastards out.  

Give them nothing.  Eventually, they will die off and we can rebuild.

E

SiG Lady,

Sorry if I came across as intense. I've known the owner of the Bull's-Eye since we were both in the Army, assigned to Fort Lewis, at the same time. Obviously since I consider many of the folks at the Bull's-Eye my friends, people like your "industry insider" who read grossly slanted reportage, then repeat it to their customers as if it were gospel, are going to irritate me immensely. This is irresponsible at best, if not downright stupid.

DT: That's OK... we have the same 'intense' challenges HERE in THIS community--trying to keep the reputation of the indoor range (and that of a couple of decent gun shops and an outdoor range nearby) intact. It's a 24/7/365 job. You and I are hunkered down for the same reasons and issues... and fighting with the same media lunacy. Being 'intense' is what it takes. I no more want to lose my RKBA than anyone else on this forum.

Moreover, I'm going to update my contact a little about the Bull's Eye situation (according to what you provided) (won't mention any names if that's cool) and see what his face does. First of all he'll be stunned that I have access to a different pipeline of info than he does....

So, I don't know which is less substantial, the evening news or political TV advertising....?....  What a waste of money.

Thanks for your return postings.

Don't blame only the media for going off half-cocked with whatever sounds good at the time.  Remember the Dell/Weigand Combat broughaha of a few months ago?  The truth is way different than what was all over the internet-- from gun owners and RKBA activists, no less.

Almost every time I have personal knowledge of some situation, the media/internet reports of it seem to always be wrong (but sensational and fun to read).

Truth always gets the short end of the stick.

Quote: from SiG Lady on 10:10 am on Nov. 3, 2002

....I'm going to update my contact a little about the Bull's Eye situation

SL,

Don't take this in the wrong vein, but your acquaintance needs an education about considering the source of his information before re-disseminating it.  

E

Yes, I know. That's why I read him (anonymously) some of facts presented in DT's posting yesterday. He respectfully acknowledged the message and it seemed to neutralize the hoopla. Again, I mentioned the whole issue here 'as I heard it' out there in order to generate some closer-to-the-truth/closer-to-the-source update--which in fact occurred. I think this person in question was just originally blown away by some headline and passed it along. I smelled a potential whiff of exaggeration or disinformation and threw it on the table here for discussion or verification.

Thanks for both discussion and verification.  :)