Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Shellplate lock nut- how tight?

I've been perusing the 1050 manual and doing as much research on the press as possible so I'll be ready for it when it arrives. There is much talk about making sure the shellplate lock ring is tight but not too tight.

The manual says to tighten and then back off 1/8 turn. It doesn't specify whether it is and tight or wrench tight. Looking at some of the pictures, I'm guessing hand tight.

I searched the forums for discussion on the lock right, but there is no concrete description on how tight it should be. There was one post from dillon saying that if you push down on the edge of the shellplate at station 7 and it feels "springy" that it's too loose. I guess I'll know what he's talking about once I have the press in front of me.

Any other "gotchas" or warning signs that I should be on the lookout for?

Hand tighten is the way to go. I back mine off just enough so the plate rotates when I pull the handle. I have run it a tad looser. You can see the plate dip and return as you deprime a round. Too much movement is probably not a good idea. I like mine loose enough for it to rotate.

I have extra tool heads so when I can calibers I have to change plates. I also use a little red grease on the it when I put the other plate on.

For me, my biggest problem is not resetting the priming post correctly. Remember the tool head must be snug on the post. If the handle won't come all the way down, you need to back the priming post on the tool head out.

Finally, you can adjust the bell without moving the powder die casing, you just need to loosen the two bolts and the bell part can be rotated by hand.

I tighten mine by hand and then loosen just enough to let the plate rotate easy but have no play when pushing down on the plate.

The press runs better for me like that.

Edited by sauza45

I know the manual recommends 1/8 turn from tight. But I have had better luck with hand tighten, and then backup 1/16 of a turn. Or as others have stated, just enough to get the handle to index the shellplate. When I ran the lock nut 1/8 from tight, I had issues with the case being pushed into the shellplate from the case feeder. It is now so much better.

Ok that makes sense. So here's a follow up question..

Is it better to start off too loose and then adjust tighter and tighter, or too tight and adjust looser? The reason I ask is because I'm afraid of starting off too tight, pulling the handle to see if it indexes, and subsequently damaging something as a result.

Is it better to start off too loose and then adjust tighter and tighter, or too tight and adjust looser?

It is something that you will realize right away if it is to tight. The handle doesn't move... from there back off just enough until the handle moves. If it is a little bit to loose, it will still work, and if it is to tight, the handle won't move. Once you are standing in front of the press it will be obvious if it isn't correct.

Tighten and cycle. Does the shell plate move smoothly? Tighten it. Is it stiff? Loosen it. Does the shell plate move too fast such that powder will be knocked out of a loaded case? Tighten it.

I like to use a thick marine grease under the shell plated to slow it down.

You have to learn to play with your press and determine what works best for it and you.

I tighten the ring while rotating the shellplate. It is pretty obvious when it is too tight as the shellplate binds. Ease off the nut just enough to get smooth rotation and positive stops on the ball detent.

• 6 years later...

I have a problem where no matter what I do, the lock ring loosens as I use the press. I even put a small piece of tape on the plastic locking tabs to try and make them tighter against the threads but still no joy.

Any recommendations?

On 3/7/2012 at 6:16 PM, modex said:

Ok that makes sense. So here's a follow up question..

Is it better to start off too loose and then adjust tighter and tighter, or too tight and adjust looser? The reason I ask is because I'm afraid of starting off too tight, pulling the handle to see if it indexes, and subsequently damaging something as a result.

If it is too loose you may not get the primers seated adequately.