Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

where to remove a little weight 1911

Paul-the new guy

I can think of reasons not to drill, Get rid of the steel main spring housing. Your gun was fine till you added that. I can see the benifit of transfering weight to the grip, but you need to take that weight off the moving mass to gain any advantage. Taking weight away from the area you added weight to is conterproductive and makes no sense to me. Put some deeper or add cocking serrations to the slide.

An hole in the tail of the beavertail safety, like where the hammer should hammer bite. Easy to do without special tools.

By doing so you will remove some steel from a "useless" part, useless by mechanical point of vue, and you don't affect frame. And no difference on the rigidity of the part. And no big difference in the balance of the gun.

Cut holes in the grip, but only where it contact wth frame, so no dirt inside the gun.

What about a good 'ol short guide rod, less sexy, but lightier. And you can fin some in polymer, even lightier.

I don't know about drilling but I would explore milling that whole "tab" off on both sides of the frame to look more like a traditional frame. Takes the weight off the back of the gun and I'll bet you could use about any guide rod you wanted. There are ways to take weight of the slide that I am not sure are legal in IDPA... But would be hard to see unless you took the gun apart. Think back of the slide in and around both sides up under...

I like milling the tabs off under the grip. I cant decide why the did that anyway...

My thoughts exactly. If you can't do it yourself I would imagine any average student machinist with access to a mill or gunsmith could do this easy and cheap. IMO a perfect solution.

• 4 months later...