Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

where to remove a little weight 1911

Paul-the new guy

I have a Trojan that is a little heavy since I added the steel main spring housing. I need to remove roughly the weight of a single edged razor blade (0.136 ounces) Drilling a hole in the guide rod is probably a little above my capabilities but grinding on the inside of the mainspring housing or something is not. Any ideas???

I've drilled out the inside of a steel MSH before using a drill press. Determine the size and number of holes you want, chuck the MSH in a vise, the appropriate bit in the press and knock'em out. I think I did three .25" holes spaced .25 apart on a S&W MSH/magwell. I have no idea of the total resulting weight loss, but if you're talking .20 of an ounce to make weight that might do it.

I'm assuming you have a drill press.

Is there a place you could take about .5 cubic cm off the slide? That isn't much material. I would think there is someplace in the slide that could lose that much without problems. A series of shallow holes maybe? You could also ventilate the grip pretty easily with a drill to remove that much.

Mild steel weighs about 4.54 oz/in3, so that works out to about .030 in3 for 0.136 oz, or about .5 cc which is easier to visualize.

edit - LumpyG beat me man on man in the typing race! Same idea, different angle.

Edited by Bamboo

I've been doing some of the same number crunching, things I've come up with are:

Swap hammer with skeletonized hammer

Order DP aluminum MSH instead of the steel one

Briley aluminum guide rod from power factor shooting (but will reduce nose weight)

Put a blank in on the ambi safety side that you don't use

Change grips or lighten them on the back side with a bit of grinding

DP Ice magwell could be lighter than your magwell due to ice insert (but it comes with a steel MSH by default)

Cheers,

I've been doing some of the same number crunching, things I've come up with are:

Swap hammer with skeletonized hammer

Order DP aluminum MSH instead of the steel one

Briley aluminum guide rod from power factor shooting (but will reduce nose weight)

Put a blank in on the ambi safety side that you don't use

Change grips or lighten them on the back side with a bit of grinding

DP Ice magwell could be lighter than your magwell due to ice insert (but it comes with a steel MSH by default)

Cheers,

I have already changed out the Ignition group with Extreme lite speed stuff

Aluma grips and tech-well magwell....very lite combo

I am working on getting the aluminum guide rod

I love the look of the ambi safety but I am thinking that would be all I need. I am so close to the weight that it wont take much

When I changed out the plastic MSH and went to the Ed Brown with the chain link checkering that is when I went over weight. But dang it looks good...

I think maybe drilling a few holes on the inside of the MSH will do it.

Can you open up the frame under the grips any?

Yes, I think I can. I took the grips off when I went home for lunch and it looks like there is some room for metal removal on the frame under the grips. I don't know if I should drill holes or just grind some stuff away. I swear 2) 3/8 holes would probably do it. It seriously is just over how much a single edged razor blade weighs. :cheers:

Here is yet another angle - Alumagrips are actually fairly heavy compared to wood grips. I have a set for a caspian hi-ap and they weigh 1.30 oz compared to 0.57 oz for the same grip in wood. Maybe do some counterboring/milling/grind a depression on the back of the alumagrips or just replace them with wood. I'd probably do that before the frame.

So many choices for so little weight! :D

I have already changed out the Ignition group with Extreme lite speed stuff

Aluma grips and tech-well magwell....very lite combo

I am working on getting the aluminum guide rod

I love the look of the ambi safety but I am thinking that would be all I need. I am so close to the weight that it wont take much

When I changed out the plastic MSH and went to the Ed Brown with the chain link checkering that is when I went over weight. But dang it looks good...

I think maybe drilling a few holes on the inside of the MSH will do it.

Exercises like this remind me of when I used to be a gram counter with my bikes where the holy grail was the lightest bike. I got my road bike down to 16 lbs, which is heavy by todays standards but it was the shiznit back in the day. I had a spreadsheet that listed every component and it's weight and the weight of any possible replacement components.

I'm willing to bet that someone on this board has taken the time to weigh every component in their gun so that if they swapped parts, they could calculate the weight differential and thus, the total resulting weight of the gun.

Only chronically anal retentive types even think about doing stuff like this. Yes, that's a fair description of my personality type. :roflol:

if you have a FL steel guide rod and swap it with an FL aluminum one you will gain about .9 oz back. you could mill out the underside of your grips a bit too. what mags are you using? dawson 10rd mags with al base pad are about .3-.4 oz heavier than my metalform 10rd mags with plastic base pads.

.9 is about .75 more than I need. I think I will order the guide rod in the morning that way maybe it will be here for the local weekend match. I have the frame all marked out where I would mill it off and it should make weight easily if I do that. I want to chrome this gun anyway... Thanks for all the good ideas. Oh, and the lightest mags I have are Tripp Research. I dont havee any metal form just wilson combat and they weigh more than Tripp

Edited by Paul-the new guy

Is there a place you could take about .5 cubic cm off the slide?

Oh, we don't allow that.

There is a maximum weight for the whole gun, but you can't take the excess off the slide because it might make the gun shoot faster.

Phooey.

Where is the Tiger Team?

When they got picky about weight limits, I put an aluminum FLGR and plastic backed rubber grips from Fusion on my Colt; along with an aluminum S&A mag well funnel. But I dropped the gun in the shop and broke that. I think I am still ok with the old steel one but had better check before the next sanctioned shoot.

Is there a place you could take about .5 cubic cm off the slide?

Oh, we don't allow that.

There is a maximum weight for the whole gun, but you can't take the excess off the slide because it might make the gun shoot faster.

Phooey.

Where is the Tiger Team?

When they got picky about weight limits, I put an aluminum FLGR and plastic backed rubber grips from Fusion on my Colt; along with an aluminum S&A mag well funnel. But I dropped the gun in the shop and broke that. I think I am still ok with the old steel one but had better check before the next sanctioned shoot.

My aluminum FLGR is on the way as a backup but my plan is to drill lightening holes in the frame. Can anyone think of any reason not to drill where the circle is drawn on the frame in this picture:

IMAG0562.jpg

I like your idea about changing the Ambi Safety to a single side safety. That should reduce the weight to meet the IDPA requirements. I personally would avoid cutting the frame unless you do not have any other alternatives. I also would check into what Bamboo mentioned about the grips. some grips are a lot heavier/lighter then others.

I just weighed various grips on my RCBS Charge Master Powder Scale

Rubber Kimber 17.12 grams each

Wood Houge 21.31 grams each

Wood Colt 19.17 grams each

Wood Kimber 18.13 grams each

Single Sided Razor blade 3.33 grams

I got the Briley aluminum guide rod. I have not drilled the frame yet I am going to try this first. The aluminum guide rod reduced the weight of the gun and mag combo (not the same Wilson combat magazine) by almost a full ounce. 0.864 of an ounce to be exact. The gun (dirty) and a Tripp mag now tip the scales at 42.272 oz this is well under the 43 oz limit for ESP

:cheers: