Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can't decide on a barrel for my build

JoWaCa

I'm having trouble deciding on a barrel for my AR. My uses for the gun will primarily be plinking, coyote, etc. Average shooting range is 50 - 100m. Once or twice a year I'll head out to the farm for some 600m shots to pass the time. I've been reading a lot about 3gun and it's very intriguing to me and may decide to pick it up when the locals around here start up again. My first priority is a tough rifle that has accuracy. My plan is to grab either an Aimpoint, EoTech or some 1-4 optic.

I have read about all the options for barrels and many of them have a lot of pros and cons. I'm at the end stage of my build where I need to decide on the barrel.

My back up rifle, dedicated plinker is a 14.5 Bushmaster Carbine.

I just built a rifle using a DPMS Mark 12 barrel. 18", rifle length gas system. I have to say I'm really suprised by the accuracy. Before I mounted the 1-4 MTAC, I threw on a 6.5-20 Vortex Viper just for giggles. 5 shot group was under .4 with just my basic 50gr. V-max on top of H335 load. Going to even cheaper 55gr FMJ loads with the MTAC on it still holds an inch. They are on sale at Midway right now, of course they weren't when I got mine. Best bang for the buck barrel I've found yet.

I just built a new rifle and I also wanted a tough reliable rifle with exceptional accuracy. Went with a noveske afgan. Very very did I say very accurate. Under 1in with even cheap steel cases. If your only shooting 100yds the shorter length may be something you want. It can still punch holes no prob at 500&600.

I just built a rifle using a DPMS Mark 12 barrel. 18", rifle length gas system. I have to say I'm really suprised by the accuracy. Before I mounted the 1-4 MTAC, I threw on a 6.5-20 Vortex Viper just for giggles. 5 shot group was under .4 with just my basic 50gr. V-max on top of H335 load. Going to even cheaper 55gr FMJ loads with the MTAC on it still holds an inch. They are on sale at Midway right now, of course they weren't when I got mine. Best bang for the buck barrel I've found yet.

I have to agree, for $100 less (at least) than the other recommendations it's a MOA barrel with factory loads. I managed a sub-MOA at 200yds (most were slightly over MOA) and that's the first time I've ever even shot a rifle at 200 yards. The only drawbacks are that it's not fluted and not Wylde. For a more serious build you could step up, but for what you're specifying I think the Mk12 is a great option.

Matt

Nordic Components is selling an 18" rifle gas barrel. Just built a rifle with one but haven't groupe I yet. Look great and I'm sure it will be awesome.

The groups are coming in. This barrel took a tad longer to settle than the previous 16" barrels from Nordic. It is close to a Mk12 profile, but with a few changes. It has a Wylde chamber and an 0.093" gas port diameter, both beneficial. I spent a good amount of time working gas volumes for the variety of loads and settled on that as an optimum port size. Ken trusted my analysis, and I think we have a real winner. We have 4 rifles built with these so far and they are running well.

We are using (and stocking) them as does Nordic, Firebird and Predator Tactical.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I've narrowed my choices down to WOA 16" middy, Wilson Combat 16" middy, and the Nordic. 18" rifle. I'm mainly going this route because of availability and price. $300 is my limit.

I've done it a little backwards and already bought a 12" Samson Evolution rail. I'd prefer the GB to be hidden under the rail, but I plan on purchasing a VLTOR low profile gas block and those look pretty nice if exposed a bit.

Could anyone help me understand if a gas block will be covered by a 12" rail on a rifle length gas system?

Any recommendations on pinned vs. clamped gas block?

Edited by JoWaCa

LOKI 18" double fluted stainless 1/8 twist with mid or rifle length gas chambered in .223 Wylde.

Are they selling these separately?

Yes they are. Check out their website Lokiweaponsystems.com

I use one for my 3 gun rifle.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I've narrowed my choices down to WOA 16" middy, Wilson Combat 16" middy, and the Nordic. 18" rifle. I'm mainly going this route because of availability and price. $300 is my limit.

I've done it a little backwards and already bought a 12" Samson Evolution rail. I'd prefer the GB to be hidden under the rail, but I plan on purchasing a VLTOR low profile gas block and those look pretty nice if exposed a bit.

Could anyone help me understand if a gas block will be covered by a 12" rail on a rifle length gas system?

Any recommendations on pinned vs. clamped gas block?

Check out a Kies adjustable gas block. They're the tits.

Look at the AR Stoner 18" fluted 1:8 wylde chamber. It's a real shooter in my opinion

But it is mid-length gas. The Nordic-Wilson 16" is more accurate, lighter and with the same gas system, I'd go for the Nordic-Wilson.

Look at the AR Stoner 18" fluted 1:8 wylde chamber. It's a real shooter in my opinion

But it is mid-length gas. The Nordic-Wilson 16" is more accurate, lighter and with the same gas system, I'd go for the Nordic-Wilson.

Does the Nordic-Wilson 16" have the M4 feed ramps? I got a good deal on a DSA stripped upper with M4 ramps.

Does the Nordic-Wilson 16" have the M4 feed ramps? I got a good deal on a DSA stripped upper with M4 ramps.

No, the Lilja's Nordic carries do, but not the Wilsons.

I have a Douglas barrel on my CLE upper. You won't go wrong with this or a Krieger barrel. The Wilson barrel from WOA is good too but won't last quite as long.

The Wilson from WOA is a good cheaper option.

Darren

12" forend will not cover a rifle length gas block.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I've decided on the WOA 16" middy with a VLTOR gas block. This set up seems to be the way to go for me. I appreciate all of the advice.

A lot of people seem to like the WOA SPR 18".. I have one, I like it :)

I have two and there are 5 in the group of my friends and I. They are great.

Or the WOA 20" SDM barrel, if you prefer a 20". Have one on one of my rifles now and I'll most likely use the same for my next build.

So, what is the better barrel length for 3G? 16 or 18?

Personally I prefer 18 or 20". I started out with two CTR-02s, one 16 and 18, and went with a 20" for my third match rifle. After getting the 20" and pitching the different rifles against each other at practice the 16" started collecting dust in the safe. I couldnt really find any uses where it was faster or better than the 18 or 20.

Edited by gose