Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Gun

DocMedic

I was amazed to hear that S&W is the "first gun company to be able to make a 1911 work in 9mm".

I guess the Springfields, Kimbers and STIs.... what, didn't work? or something?

1st to make it work reliably without major mag issues or gun issues requiring it to be sent back every 6 months? yes.

I have an m&p pro 1911 in 9mm with external extractor... 10 or 15k rounds through it, without one issue with Wilson 10 round mags.

Can't say the same for my friends shooting kimbers and springfields. lol.

Huh. I've got a springer, and a couple of Trojans in 9mm, and... with the right mags and the right loads, none has ever been a problem. Shot a single-stack nationals with the STI a couple of years back (decided to go "minor" just for grins).

Small sample, sure, but... they've been completely reliable for me, and they certainly pre-date the S&W. In fact, the only gun I've *ever* sent back to the manufacturer was a S&W 1911 (but in .45).

Not that I'm complaining, cuz the show is way better than Dr. Oz (I think my wife's got a secret crush). I am wondering which manufacturer will be featured next week. CZ? Kimber? Ah, maybe Hi-point!

Looks like next week is a flint lock, a Colt 45, and a H&K USP. Probably not going to be an infomercial.

BORING! Watched about half and switched it off and read.

And, not to be insulting to H&K but to try and portray this as a revolutionary design up there with the likes of the Colt 45 revolver is absurd.

I watch all of them because it's better than Real Housewives...

BUT

I wish they would bring on people that can SHOOT what they are demonstrating.

I'm not really interested in watching someone shoot a Pump shotgun for the first time.

Or seeing a Marine shoot a Flintlock....

But I watch anyway.

Well, this week (.22's) was quite interesting. At first I thought that having two pistols that are so similar would be a problem, but it seems that there are some big differences between the two which made for an interesting comparison.

I enjoyed watching Chris coaching Colby, but thought he was being just a bit forward in basically pushing Robert Vogel aside and saying, "here, let me show you how to do this." That said, the technique of having someone else pull the trigger can be very enlightening.

The shoot off was particularly impressive - a guy with a pistol with iron sights vs a guy with a scoped rifle and only a 1 second difference in time. Chris may have had the better time but even he admitted that it was Robert who really won that competition.

All in all, a fun episode.

Edited by Graham Smith

Well, this week (.22's) was quite interesting. At first I thought that having two pistols that are so similar would be a problem, but it seems that there are some big differences between the two which made for an interesting comparison.

I enjoyed watching Chris coaching Colby, but thought he was being just a bit forward in basically pushing Robert Vogel aside and saying, "here, let me show you how to do this." That said, the technique of having someone else pull the trigger can be very enlightening.

I really, really liked the coaching bits -- and I didn't mind watching Chris take the reins when it came time to coach, because an experienced shooter isn't always the best instructor. (Or is Vogel also famous for his coaching?)

Chris correctly diagnosed the issues and provided relevant correction. The top performers, in most performance based pursuits, are rarely the best instructors or coaches. I would go so far as to say the best coaches have character traits that usually prevent top performance and the top performers have traits that usually prevent quality instruction. There are exceptions to every rule of course, and there are several excellent exceptions in the shooting sports.

Chris correctly diagnosed the issues and provided relevant correction. The top performers, in most performance based pursuits, are rarely the best instructors or coaches. I would go so far as to say the best coaches have character traits that usually prevent top performance and the top performers have traits that usually prevent quality instruction. There are exceptions to every rule of course, and there are several excellent exceptions in the shooting sports.

I found the same when I was involved in tennis. The really good ones don't know or care why they are as good as they are

I would go so far as to say the best coaches have character traits that usually prevent top performance and the top performers have traits that usually prevent quality instruction.

Those who can't do, go into politics.

I would go so far as to say the best coaches have character traits that usually prevent top performance and the top performers have traits that usually prevent quality instruction.

Those who can't do, go into politics.

The rest of us study technique and haunt the Enos site.

• 3 weeks later...

Was anyone else embarrased by the "challenges" on this weeks show? I mean, a playing card at 30 FEET ? With a Rifle? I guess the experts forgot you have to hold high that close. When I first saw the cards, I thought they were going to be edge on.That would have been a pretty good test with a .223. Pretty easy with a 45 ,though.