Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

trojan 40cal problem feeding

ts1911

Hate to beat a dead horse (it will teach the live ones a lesson though) but here it goes,,,,My 2 year old Trojan 40 was sent with a checkmate mag. Horrible feeding problems right out of the box. Let me see if I can explain, the rounds would jam right up against the feed ramp, pointed up caught by the slide. Time after time this would happen and would even put a crimp in the side of the bullet. Called sti and they said they now used metalform mags. Well they did much better but I am still having a couple every 50 or so rounds. So I order the mother of all mags, the wilson. Now the bullet nose dives into the feed ramp and I have to slam the bottom of the mag to get it to feed. Other than that it has been perfect (sarcasim).

Any ideas? I am almost embarassed to call Dave at STI anymore. I am not a pro but I do shoot uspsa ocassionally. Is this just a problem with all 40's,,,should I just get what I wanted to begin with the Trojan 45. Any thoughts?

post-19765-0-17094600-1328736920_thumb.j

Hate to beat a dead horse (it will teach the live ones a lesson though) but here it goes,,,,My 2 year old Trojan 40 was sent with a checkmate mag. Horrible feeding problems right out of the box. Let me see if I can explain, the rounds would jam right up against the feed ramp, pointed up caught by the slide. Time after time this would happen and would even put a crimp in the side of the bullet. Called sti and they said they now used metalform mags. Well they did much better but I am still having a couple every 50 or so rounds. So I order the mother of all mags, the wilson. Now the bullet nose dives into the feed ramp and I have to slam the bottom of the mag to get it to feed. Other than that it has been perfect (sarcasim).

Any ideas? I am almost embarassed to call Dave at STI anymore. I am not a pro but I do shoot uspsa ocassionally. Is this just a problem with all 40's,,,should I just get what I wanted to begin with the Trojan 45. Any thoughts?

Looks like a nasty bolt over base misfeed. Usually a mag spring is the culprit, but it seems like you ruled that out as well as magazine issues in general.

No it is not just a .40 cal thing.

Is your breechface smooth? Is your extractor over tensioned? Have you checked for recoil spring bind and full slide travel? Are your positive your loads are cycling the gun fully? What kind of springs are you running in the gun?

Edited by feederic

no-reloads, breechface is smooth, have not checked extractor, recoil spring is stock, seems to be working fine from checking. Will check extractor based on what I have read. Have never done so.

Make sure to check for recoil spring bind also.

I unfortunately do not own one yet. But, I know alot of shooters that have sent their 40 Trojans to Tripp and had Virgil rework the chamber. You may call Virgil or Aaron and ask them. They are great folks to work with.

+1 on this. Was having similar issues and sent my Trojan .40 to Virgil. Had it back a week later and runs perfectly...but can't say that about the operator. :rolleyes:

I am using Tripp .40 mags, but if I could do it over again, I would go with the 10mm mags and load longer.

Your Trojan is a little on the old side in that its feedramp probably isn’t cut correctly for single stack guns. On .40 SS guns the bullet nose hits really low on the feedramp and if the bullet can catch the edge if will FTF. STI’s newer Trojans supposedly do not have this issue. Tripp modifies the feedramp by welding it up to reduce the gap between the frame and feedramp. The Tripp feedramp profile also looked different than normal. I think he also puts in a raised mag catch.

I fit a barsto .40 barrel to my kimber 10mm and the barstos are so oversized I didn’t have to weld up anything and didn’t even need a raised mag catch. No mechanical malfunctions at all through 2000rds so far with Tripp .45 mags with hybrid follower. Chip .45 mags work too. I use an OAL of 1.205” on my reloads though. Yours look short (SAAMI length anyway) and you might want to try out some longer loads to see how they’ll work.

i got one of the new ones.. it runs like a top...

this does sound like the feeding "Wall" issue that was documented on early Trojans..

mine feeds from Wilson and cMc 45 mags, but i mostly use Tripp cobra 10mm mags...

no issues..

good luck..

Thanks for all the great suggestions, my thoughts right now are, why didnt the guy at STI tell me about this problem from the start. He just said "we got some new mags made by metalform, try these if it does not work send it back". Maybe I need to just send it back. It is 2 years old. I am not a basher, and I dont like to hear people who are always slamming a gun company about this or that but I really am suprised by this product. And my impression from an occasional shooter is why would I need all of this from a factory gun? Or in other words,,why did STI not make these changes or explain that they needed to be done for a smooth running pistol. To me its like buying a car and then having to tweak 5 or 6 things to make it run right. Shouldnt it run right from the start? shouldnt the mags be the best ones to make it run. Heck, charge people another $50 for a better mag if you think the pistol needs one. Surely they were aware of these problems, I sent in the warranty card. Have not heard a thing about it.,,,,Its just annoying.

Don't take it to personal..

Mags are know to cause problems in allot of 1911's

So it has become the defacto response..

Sort of like "did you try rebooting your computer sr?"

If is something as simple as trying a new mag, the customer gets a working gun imidiatly..

In this case now that you know it's not the mag call them back and send it to them..

While allot of us here would guess is the feeding wall issue the truth is that until Sti has your gun in hand they can really know what's causing the issue..

So it's hard for them to tell you over the phone what the culprit might be..

I have never delt with Sti customer suport, but I hope they will make things right :)

Cheers,

Los

Thanks to everybody for suggestions and comments, I called the Master,,,Mr.Virgil Tripp. I am sending to him. I told him to just "fix it". I was amazed at how nice and accomodating he was. Seems all the wonderful things said about him are true, sure sounds that way. thanks again all.

Thanks to everybody for suggestions and comments, I called the Master,,,Mr.Virgil Tripp. I am sending to him. I told him to just "fix it". I was amazed at how nice and accomodating he was. Seems all the wonderful things said about him are true, sure sounds that way. thanks again all.

Let us know the outcome. Virgil and company are A 1 to deal with.

Let us know the outcome. Virgil and company are A 1 to deal with.

will do, thanks

• 1 month later...