Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Source for Remington 148 HBWC's?

kshock

Does anyone know who stocks the Remington 148 HBWC's besides Midway USA? They are always out and their website says they don't expect more until August. Weidener's has been out of stock since I can remember. Anyone know of another source? Why are these so hard to find..is it that Remington does not make many available for reloaders?

Hornady's are good but very expensive, and I shoot alot of the wadcutters(PPC shooter). Precision Delta's are sized at .357 vs. the .358 of Remington and Hornady and they lead my gun something ferocious. Zero's are also sized .357 and they lead my gun even worse than Precision Delta. Must be a quirk of my gun because I know alot of people who like the Precision Delta's and the Zero's.

If you don't absolutely have to have Remington's, I understand Hornady and Precision Delta also make and sell them.

Not sure why you're getting leading with Zeros or Prec Delta's. I have shot thousands of both in four different revolvers and a Smith 52 and they were both extremely accurate (like easy 10ring at 50 yds) when loaded with a good powder and driven to 700-775 FPS. If you try to drive them much faster they will lead and become less accurate. The sweet zone for most pistol/revolvers is between 675 & 750FPS. Federal match 38 HBWC's chrono 720-740 in my 6" revolvers. These bullets will leave a little lead flashing around the forcing cone and front of cylinder but that is easily cleaned and doesn't affect accuracy. I never experienced any real leading with either (actual lead streaks and buildup in bore)My favorite bullet years ago was the Winchester 148 HBWC but it hasn't been available in bulk for years as far as I know.

Best of luck,

Don

Edited by reptoid

Hornady's are good but very expensive, and I shoot alot of the wadcutters(PPC shooter). Precision Delta's are sized at .357 vs. the .358 of Remington and Hornady and they lead my gun something ferocious. Zero's are also sized .357 and they lead my gun even worse than Precision Delta. Must be a quirk of my gun because I know alot of people who like the Precision Delta's and the Zero's.

Try a slightly slower powder like Win 231.... and roll the PD's in a little Lee liquid alox. It may create a little extra smoke but could cure the leading.

I find that 3.1gns of 231 / HP38 gives good accuracy and fairly low pressures. YMMV

Zero's lead my PPC gun too. I shoot only Remmy's with Bullseye. Tightest groups and no lead fouling.

Wish I could find a good source for them. My local gun shop has them once in a while and I stock up.

Try a slightly slower powder like Win 231.... and roll the PD's in a little Lee liquid alox. It may create a little extra smoke but could cure the leading.

I find that 3.1gns of 231 / HP38 gives good accuracy and fairly low pressures. YMMV

I am shooting 3.0 gr of HP 38...same powder as 231

I'm curious......are you talking about being able to see some lead in cylinders/barrel, or actual leading that affects accuracy? The reason I ask is: I have tested with a ransom rest before and after shooting 200 rnds of PD's, as well as Zero's, without cleaning and group size is the same after 200 as it is after 6 from a clean bore. I do buy the Prec Delta's with the "Competition Lube"(only $4 more per 1K) so I can't speak for the others

I use 3.1 grs. of AA #2, or 3.2 grs. of HP 38. I have also tested WW 231, Bullseye,

VN 310, Solo 1000, and 700-X. Bullsye is the dirtiest. AA#2 and HP38/231 are very close but AA#2 shoots slightly better in two of my revolvers and creates slightly less smoke.

Don

I'm curious......are you talking about being able to see some lead in cylinders/barrel, or actual leading that affects accuracy? The reason I ask is: I have tested with a ransom rest before and after shooting 200 rnds of PD's, as well as Zero's, without cleaning and group size is the same after 200 as it is after 6 from a clean bore. I do buy the Prec Delta's with the "Competition Lube"(only $4 more per 1K) so I can't speak for the others

I use 3.1 grs. of AA #2, or 3.2 grs. of HP 38. I have also tested WW 231, Bullseye,

VN 310, Solo 1000, and 700-X. Bullsye is the dirtiest. AA#2 and HP38/231 are very close but AA#2 shoots slightly better in two of my revolvers and creates slightly less smoke.

Don

The cylinder throats lead so bad that I was having to use a chamber brush to knock some of the buildup out just to finish a 1500 match (150 rds). The leading in the forcing cone was not as bad but it was leading there within 150 rounds. When I use the Remington 148's I have minimal leading in the cylinder throats and almost none in the forcing cone. The Zero's were the worst, and I tried both the match lube and the regular Precision Delta's. Both leaded (and shot) about the same. The only thing I figured was significantly different between the Zero's, Precision Delta's and Remington's were that the Remmy's are .358 and the other two are .357.

Don

The cylinder throats lead so bad that I was having to use a chamber brush to knock some of the buildup out just to finish a 1500 match (150 rds). The leading in the forcing cone was not as bad but it was leading there within 150 rounds. When I use the Remington 148's I have minimal leading in the cylinder throats and almost none in the forcing cone. The Zero's were the worst, and I tried both the match lube and the regular Precision Delta's. Both leaded (and shot) about the same. The only thing I figured was significantly different between the Zero's, Precision Delta's and Remington's were that the Remmy's are .358 and the other two are .357.

Try rolling them in Lee Liquid Alox... the stuff works. :blush:

That was my thought also about the leading. The Rem's are coated in a tumble type lube that is a bit heavy because it always changed my seating depth if I didn't keep my seating dies clean. I think having that all over lube may be just what your gun needs. Might be worh a try with a small batch to see if it works?

Neal in AZ

Edited by Intel6

That is interesting. Several years ago I had some Remington WC's and they had various sizes as high as .360-.361. Called the factory and they said to send them back and I got reimbursed. I was surprised at the lack of QC, and have not bought any since. I only use Precision Delta match, and Speer WC's. I don't recall the diameter of the Speer bullets, but they were of really good quality. Both were very accurate but one of them was within a 1/2" of Federal Match factory ammo (would have to check notes) at 25 yards. And after years of using Bullseye, have found I prefer WW 231. I used to shoot a lot of PPC back in the day, especially before bifocals. :D As was just mentioned, I wonder if the cylinder throats could be a problem.

That is interesting. Several years ago I had some Remington WC's and they had various sizes as high as .360-.361. Called the factory and they said to send them back and I got reimbursed. I was surprised at the lack of QC, and have not bought any since. I only use Precision Delta match, and Speer WC's. I don't recall the diameter of the Speer bullets, but they were of really good quality. Both were very accurate but one of them was within a 1/2" of Federal Match factory ammo (would have to check notes) at 25 yards. And after years of using Bullseye, have found I prefer WW 231. I used to shoot a lot of PPC back in the day, especially before bifocals. :D As was just mentioned, I wonder if the cylinder throats could be a problem.

I am going to get some lead balls and slug the cylinder throats and the barrel. I have wondered the same thing, but it would be easier to find the Remington bullets than replace the cylinder (maybe, finding the Remmy's is getting harder and harder). My other thoughts were that if it is the throats...why does it work with one but not the others? We are only talking .001 inch difference unless as was posted, the Remingtons are actually .360-.361. I am completely out so I cannot measure one. I think the Speer 148 HBWC's are also .358, but they are almost as expensive as the Hornady's. I am gathering the stuff to cast my own to the size I want, but would like to find some of the Remmy's to get by on.

21Shooter:

Those Remington's are THE BEST and MOST ACCURATE in my S&W M52s and, I believe, it is because the skirt is 0.360-0.361". You REALLY should have tried them. It is better for the swaged bullet to be "too big," as that really seals the bore.

NONE, and I MEAN NONE, of the other swaged HBWCs are any where near as accurate as Remington's--this includes PD and Zero--in the M52.

I think you sent back the BEST bullets and are settling for adequate bullets.

• 3 weeks later...

In stock at Midway. I just ordered enough to last me a couple of years. Also, there codes are active:

$10 off $100+ - Promo Code AR15210

$15 off $100+ - Promo Code AR15215

$25 off $200+ - Promo Code AR15225

$35 off $300+ - Promo Code AR15235