Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mags hang up during reloads at match?

midvalleyshooter

I shot my SP01 in a match for the first time today. It ran great except for one issue. Some times when I would drop a mag it would hang up because the top round left in the mag was far enough forward to drag. Has anyone else had this happen? Did you find a solution? I am using CZ 18 round mags and Mecgar 16 round mags. My load is a 147 grain Bear Creek truncated cone loaded on the long side. I'm thinking I will try some factory ammo and see if it happens.

Thanks in advance,

Keith

I shot my SP01 in a match for the first time today. It ran great except for one issue. Some times when I would drop a mag it would hang up because the top round left in the mag was far enough forward to drag. Has anyone else had this happen? Did you find a solution? I am using CZ 18 round mags and Mecgar 16 round mags. My load is a 147 grain Bear Creek truncated cone loaded on the long side. I'm thinking I will try some factory ammo and see if it happens.

Thanks in advance,

Keith

Are you certain it's the top round that's getting caught? I was having a similar problem with my Shadow, but traced mine to the mag release button. When I pushed it in, the button-side of the release was extending far enough into the magwell, that it was actually catching the top of the mag. Once I filed away that extra little piece of metal, my problem went away.

With the mag out of the gun, push that button in as far as you can. Then look down the magwell and see if a small bit of metal is sticking out.

Take the mag brake out and see if the mags still get stuck. If they fall clear then the mag brake is too tight. Straighten it out a bit and put it back in. Keep doing it until they drop free. I shot mine with out a mag brake in it! The mags would fly out the gun.

Also make sure you are not mashing the mag release hard. On my shadow, which comes from the factory with the ext mag release, if you mash the mag release to hard, the other side of the mag releases comes into the mag well and causes the mags to get hung up.

To check this take the top end off (slide and barrel), insert a mag with the round walked forward a bit, mash the mag release hard and it will get hung up, just lightly press it and they will drop free.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks in advance,

Keith

Check out the CZ Forum. Angus recommends OAL of 1.11.

• 7 months later...

Thanks in advance,

Keith

Check out the CZ Forum. Angus recommends OAL of 1.11.

anyone have this issue with factory FMJ 1.150 oal???

• 3 months later...

Also make sure you are not mashing the mag release hard. On my shadow, which comes from the factory with the ext mag release, if you mash the mag release to hard, the other side of the mag releases comes into the mag well and causes the mags to get hung up.

What do you guys do to "fix" this problem? I try not to mash the mag release but sometimes it still happens. I've removed some material from the inside of the mag release button but I found that the button was catching on the frame a tad so I reinstalled a new one. At least I know what it is... but one or two of these problems will F up a match!

Bend the mag release spring. This will limit the releases movement.

How should I bend it? I'm not 100% sure what you mean. Thanks.

EDIT: I installed a new spring. The older one closed up a bit. However even with more resistance... it can still happen. It would be a simple mod if CZ put a protrusion in the slot in the mag release where the spring slides into. That would prevent the spring leg from hitting the other- limiting travel of the mag release.

Edited by lugnut

I recently had a problem where the mags were not dropping on the CZ75BSA.

The problem was the czcustom shop magwell had shifted slightly and was binding the mag. The magwell just slides in position and doesn't lock so it was easy for it to shift. I took a dremel and a cone shaped grinding wheel and machined a slight depression on the top of the magwell where the main spring plug protrudes from the bottom of the grip frame.

This now acts as a detent to prevent the magwell from shifting, but still allows it to be removed with a little more force.

• 4 weeks later...

if you have the older slide stop, would this also be part of the problem???

from cz custom.....

"New Slide Stop For Sp01/75/85

New Design to alleviate the problem with 9mm bullets "catching" on the slide stop knub, During ejection of partially loaded magazines

Factory UB Part."

Can someone point me to a video or photo series on how to remove/re-install the Shadow's mag release spring? I need to put in the bend that Stuart showed on another thread.

Found my issue was the "punching the release too hard" problem, only stops the release of an empty mag with slide locked back. With slide closed, even an empty mag will fly out before the release touches the mag on the opposite side. Thanks!!

Just field strip the gun an look down for a funky looking flat head screw behind the trigger. Remove that screw and use a screw driver or pliers to pull the sping out of the frame. When you reinstall the screw you may need to restake the screw with a prick punch.

Got it. Everything drops free. Did the spring bend shown here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=159812

BTW if anyone doesn't have the time/patience to modify the spring, your drill to clear this type of hang-up is NOT to try to strip out the mag with your off hand; just jiggle the mag release with your strong hand thumb and the mag will drop.

I had the mag release issue as well but didn't notice it until a major match. Looking at the bluing on the magazines I could see the wear mark that depressing the release had left while the magazines were dropping. After marking the internal protrusion, mag release removal, and a bit of Dremel work the issue was easily resolved.