Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pants Article

Duane Thomas

What the f***? Over.

I thought you were already excommunicated by the IDPA Taliban. Gamer dungarees? Footwear that grants and unfair advantage? How much heresy can one sport endure?

Hackathorn's gonna be kicking down your door in his SWAT ninja suit any day now. Time to quit while you're behind...

Actually, I called up IDPA HQ a few days ago and asked them if I could do a piece for The Tactical Journal on vests appropriate for IDPA. They said that would be cool, people would probably really like that. I figure if I can do vests, I can probably do pants and shoes, as well. Just getting all my ducks in a row first. And I KNEW the Enosverse Group Mind had all the answers.

I'd look at the ever-popular 5.11's (short and long), BDUs, Jeans and some of the 'convertible'-style pants with zip-off legs (are those legal for IDPA? They're great for variable-weather IPSC matches)

I'd look at the ever-popular 5.11's (short and long), BDUs, Jeans and some of the 'convertible'-style pants with zip-off legs (are those legal for IDPA? They're great for variable-weather IPSC matches)

The convertible pants should be just the thing for an easy application of, or proper concealment of, tactical kneepads --- which in IDPA must be worn under the pants......

I just switched from my old BDU's to 5.11's and I LOVE them. Other than that, anything that is loose enough to allow for good range of motion, comfortable, and doesn't look like you are trying to get into the MI militia is good. ;)

Duane;

No matter how you slice it, pants are an EXCELLENT idea for IDPA...or any shooting sport, for that matter. I always wear them.

Now, if you can just arrange to get my FH Five-seveN in ESP, I really appreciate it. I promise not to shoot the AP stuff at the Nationals!

mb

Take a look at Cabelas, specifically the 7 Pocket Hikers Pants and Shorts. I've been wering the stretch shorts for the past couple of moths and they're pretty comfy. The pricing beats 5.11 as well so if you can live without the "cool" factor of having 5.11 they are a good value.

Please tell me you are joking about an article on pants! I can see an article on concealment garments because this is technically part of your IDPA competition gear, but pants? I would hope that people are not concerned enough about their pants that they need to read an article in the Tactical Journal for guidance. What's next IDPA approved and recommended shirts, socks, watches...????

I feel that the 5.11 pants are very comfortable and with the popularity of cargo pants are ok to wear off the range too. The only thigs is, if you look at someone dressed head to toe in 511 gear, I can't help but notice the similarity between Royal Robbins and the matching outifts they sell for kids like OshKosh Bigosh.

511s = Geranimals for large children with gun permits? :)

Kevin

511 Tactical

Safety League

"painters" style pants/shorts are loose fitting with deep pockets.

even has a cool little pocket for your 'tactical' folder' ;)

The convertible pants should be just the thing for an easy application of, or proper concealment of, tactical kneepads --- which in IDPA must be worn under the pants...... Nik H.

Don't the 511 pants have a hidden pocket for user installed knee pads??

Please tell me you are joking about an article on pants! I can see an article on concealment garments because this is technically part of your IDPA competition gear, but pants? I would hope that people are not concerned enough about their pants that they need to read an article in the Tactical Journal for guidance. What's next IDPA approved and recommended shirts, socks, watches...????

Vincent,

501 Levis seem to be about .1 faster on a RWR than anything else I have tried.

I bought 10 different pants and 10 cover garments (the only thing I really noticed about the shirts was they need to be tight to the body...) anyway I found that just plain old levi 501s are .1 faster on the RWR, however I also found that they move the loops around some and that changes the postion of the holster and mag pouches some. The movement of the equiptment sometimes negates the advantage of the .1 RWR improvement....

SO Now I am not sure what to wear! What to do... what to do

THink its legal to remove and resew the loops?

Larry P

BTW man I Take my watch off to shoot.

I shoot Commando because the chafing really helps me into those WEIRD shooting positions. And my socks are of the "wicking" kind "athletes foot" ya know!

;)

I've changed my ways and now I advocate that all shooters wear pants while on the range. Regardless of the style, pants should have extra strong stitching in any areas where high stress may cause them to fail.

Please tell me you are joking about an article on pants!  I can see an article on concealment garments because this is technically part of your IDPA competition gear, but pants?  I would hope that people are not concerned enough about their pants that they need to read an article in the Tactical Journal for guidance.  What's next IDPA approved and recommended shirts, socks, watches...????

Vincent,

501 Levis seem to be about .1 faster on a RWR than anything else I have tried.

I bought 10 different pants and 10 cover garments (the only thing I really noticed about the shirts was they need to be tight to the body...) anyway I found that just plain old levi 501s are .1 faster on the RWR, however I also found that they move the loops around some and that changes the postion of the holster and mag pouches some. The movement of the equiptment sometimes negates the advantage of the .1 RWR improvement....

SO Now I am not sure what to wear! What to do... what to do

THink its legal to remove and resew the loops?

Larry P

BTW man I Take my watch off to shoot.

I shoot Commando because the chafing really helps me into those WEIRD shooting positions. And my socks are of the "wicking" kind "athletes foot" ya know!

;)

Interesting. For the same reason I like Lee Dungarees, especially the painters type with the extra pockets. They are loose enough for unhindered movement and sturdy enough to withstand slidding into a kneeling or prone position. I've found that dumping my partial mag during a RWR is very easy with the style of front pocket found on these jeans. I've also found that a thick clip knife helps to keep the pocket open to accept mags and singlestack tubes just fall in. No one will accuse you of gamming if you have a big honking "tactical clip knife" either.

-Luther

What's a 5.11's & why do I need a pair of 5.11's for either IDPA or USPSA?? I checked the site you posted & all that appeared was a place selling police supply stuff. I stopped looking at the first page.

1) I thought USPSA specifically discouraged "tactical" wear in the rule book. They did not limit the rule to just camo gear. Cop gear should also be off limits for our game. Is this not a game? Did we not do away w/ the LEO scoring category anyway? (sorry Phil!)

2) I though IDPA was supposed to be about CCW practice while wearing "street wear". If you are an LEO who is issued 5.11's, that's great, but how many LEOs finish their shift & change out of their duty pants INTO ANOTHER PAIR OF DUTY PANTS?!?! Please. This has turned into a game of cop wannabe dress-up. Might as well go shoot Cowboy Action if we are all going to play dress up.

Seems to me the thing to wear in IDPA is a pair of GAP jeans (Levi is anti-gun) & an untucked polo type shirt. Don't most of us carry that way? I do.

C. (I do not own or wear a vest).

A large number of people (shooters included) wear "cargo pants" or solid color BDU pants all the time. I know I do, unless I am wearing shorts of the same style. I do not own any dungarees.

The 511 pants are pretty nice. A lot of people use them because they feel that they are better for IDPA in that they are roomier and have nice pockets for stuff. The pouch for the kneepads is nice too. I don't like them as much as my BUG prints in the front pant pockets. I like big baggy jeans with pockets that will hold a 1911 if you choose to. YMMV there.

Having said that, I think the majority of IDPA shooters wearing 511 gear do so because so many other people wear them. Peer pressure and wanting to be cool like the big boys.

Kevin hit it on the head with the Geranimals for big kids statement.

I'm glad 511's got popular. IDPA shooters at awards banquents look a lot better dressed now, and there is less camo at matches. Plus, I do believe a lot of the IDPA shooters significant others are happy as many of these shooters finally have some nice casual wear to wear out on the town. Better than the jeans and a S&W Tee shirt they were previously wearing :)

Seems to me the thing to wear in IDPA is a pair of GAP jeans (Levi is anti-gun) & an untucked polo type shirt. Don't most of us carry that way? I do.

IIRC, when Levi Strause invented the Jean Pants, they were intended to be work clothing, similar to what Dickies is now, and not as casual wear. At that time, any civilized man had a suit for going to meeting and such. Royal Robbins pants were intended for climbing, not as duty wear. That they became popular as a less formal uniform is probably due to the FBI's adoption, and the evolution into the current 5.11 line. Nither Levi Strause nor Royal Robbins purposly designed thier pants as informal wear but none the less, they both have become such. As for the GAP, their advertising seems to be geared toward the seveties look. Do we really want IDPA shooters dressed like Charlie's Angels extras? :D

Kevin

PS - Duane, I liked your articles in Velocity and Blue Press. Good stuff.

What's a 5.11's  & why do I need a pair of 5.11's for either IDPA or USPSA??

You dont

1) I thought USPSA specifically discouraged "tactical" wear in the rule book. They did not limit the rule to just camo gear. Cop gear should also be off limits for our game. Is this not a game? Did we not do away w/ the LEO scoring category anyway? (sorry Phil!)

Curious here, this is a thread about what to wear in a IDPA match!

WTF does what USPSA does have to do with it?

Just wondering!

2) I though IDPA was supposed to be about CCW practice while wearing "street wear". If you are an LEO who is issued 5.11's, that's great, but how many LEOs finish their shift & change out of their duty pants INTO ANOTHER PAIR OF DUTY PANTS?!?! Please. This has turned into a game of cop wannabe dress-up.  Might as well go shoot Cowboy Action if we are all going to play dress up.

Last I heard Cargo pants are IN as "street wear" If you dont think they are get out more. have your sig. other take you shopping! 5.11s look like Cargo pants to me.

Everyone in retail clothing sells them. And last but not least I dont, and most others dont "want" to be cops....

Then wear your GAP jeans and an untucked polo by all means and be happy.

But dont tell me that I should because you do, OK!

(I dont like GAP jeans and I dont KNOW they are not anti gun)

C. (I do not own or wear a vest).

your point? You want an animal cookie or what?

There are many flavors of Ice Cream because not everyone likes vanilla. The same goes for everything else in life. Wear what you want an be happy but if someone else likes something else thats their business and you shouldnt look down on them for it.

Larry P

I REALLY dislike the Fashion Police!

Im fighting buying Royal Robbins ANYTHING simply because its become a "fashion statement". I didnt like it in High School with Polo and Izod and I dont like it anymore now than I did then! Its really gonna hurt when I break down and buy a vest! DANGIT!