Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Introducing PractiScore

Brian N.

We used the software for the first time in our local match yesterday. We had a little bit of a slow start getting the registration info from the iphone we used to register everyone into the nooks, for some reason I had to delete the match from the nooks and then sync for it to work. Once we got that it was much smoother than I had anticipated even with much higher than expected shooter turn out.

Everyone that used it was impressed and found it easy to operate. I had scores uploaded to practiscore.com before they could get the first stage torn down.

Today I was able to get the scores into ezwin, upload the match and classifier to USPSA, and pay the mission count without any snags.

I am giving this 5 stars, saved me a boat load of time.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We scored the match yesterday and like Cameron said everying went perfect...I had all but 4 shooters pre-registered so all I had to do squad everyone. Used the iPod touches for everthing. Had a quick 5 min. meeting with 5 guys to show them how to use the program and none of them had any issues. The only bump I had was a long e-mail address preventing the uploading of registrations but once that was resolved, thank you Devin, everything uploaded without any hitches....

Edited by DrawandDuck

Running a test match today at home...I hit a snag. I DQ'ed a fictitious shooter on the last stage and the DQ info did not come across to EZWinScore. Shooter was not DQ'ed...had to DQ again in EZWinscore.

Also noted that this new fictitious shooter name, registered on my Nook and transferred to EZWinscore does not show up in Masternames.db on EZWinscore after transferred in. Not sure if it is supposed to or not...will contact Ken for details.

No show stoppers...just minor issues to be aware of. Hopefully new version will fix these.

The Palm data transfer system that PractiScore re-uses doesn't have a way to transmit DQ information. So that is something that has to be manually identified and done during the transfer to ezWinScore.

Regards,

Ken N.

Also noted that this new fictitious shooter name, registered on my Nook and transferred to EZWinscore does not show up in Masternames.db on EZWinscore after transferred in. Not sure if it is supposed to or not...will contact Ken for details.

No, it doesn't. The masternames.db file is much more complicated than any of the other ezws databases and as Ken said, the pre-existing palm transfer code built into ezws doesn't take some things (like DQ's) into consideration, so masternames.db isn't populated, either. Don't know if that will ever happen, and really, why does it need to? PS is designed to take a registration export of masternames.db and fill up an auto-complete database of its own on a ps device. That way, you can register people for lvl1 matches there without even going to ezws and as you start to key in someone's name, he pops up a list of matching names he already has in the system and you pick one. What would be nice is if they could classification updates from the uspsa download to a ps match. But really, you don't really need to update ezws masternames as, ideally, you'd only be using that to register people for a lvl2 or lvl3 match which is a months-long project in and of itself. And it may not sound like it, but it's perfectly reasonable to register people directly into an iPad in ps owing to its physical size; works quite well in fact. You for now just have to take peoples' word on their classifications. But when you port the match back over to ezws for official scoring later, you can run a classification update then.

Edited by wgnoyes

We used the software for the first time in our local match yesterday. We had a little bit of a slow start getting the registration info from the iphone we used to register everyone into the nooks, for some reason I had to delete the match from the nooks and then sync for it to work. Once we got that it was much smoother than I had anticipated even with much higher than expected shooter turn out.

Everyone that used it was impressed and found it easy to operate. I had scores uploaded to practiscore.com before they could get the first stage torn down.

Today I was able to get the scores into ezwin, upload the match and classifier to USPSA, and pay the mission count without any snags.

I am giving this 5 stars, saved me a boat load of time.

Good to hear, Dan. I dl'd this app and put it on a nook that I rooted with android and I like what I see.

Here is something I've been kicking around in my head for a while. The main problem with the Palm system was that it was tied to outdated and hard to find gear. While that's not the case with an iPod / Android based system, there is still a part of that lurking. Because of issues viewing many of the color device screens in the bright sun, the optimal solution currently is to use what is most certainly a dead-end product - the B&W Nook Simple Touch. Granted, these are currently in production so they will be around for a while, but what happens in a year or two when they will most likely have gone the way of the Dodo bird?

Well, I wondered that myself especially given all the storefronts B&N closed, but we've got such a wide variety of hardware choices with ps that it shouldn't be a problem. And really, the issue about reading color screens in sunlight is way overblown. The developers themselves use iOS color displays exclusively for real match scoring (so I understand) and as shown earlier, if you overlay the screen with a matt-finish screen protector (recommended for this sort of outdoor use anyway), it's not asking a lot to just turn yourself to find a shadow and you can read the display just fine. The sole REAL advantage of the nook simple touch is the price: $80 last I looked on overstock.com.

Hi Ken,

Thanks again for doing this for the USPSA community. Kudos!

We've scored a coupe of local matches with the Android version on Nooks now. Overall, very positive experiences.

Couple of questions/suggestions:

When scoring a shooter, it would seem very useful to have a warning if the scorer tries to exit the shooter with an incomplete (missing time or hits) or improper (e.g., excess hits) score. As it is, we've had to instruct the scorers to be very careful to make sure that the shooter they just scored has a hit factor in the squad list. And the hit factor/scoring status is kinda hard to see for us old timers. A simple warning would be enough, something like "Scoring Error-do you really want to exit?"

Also in scoring, it would seem useful to have a button on the bottom of the target scoring screen that would simultaneously save the score and display the "Review score screen." As it is, if the shooter or the scorer wants to review the shooter's score after scoring the targets, you have to go "back" and then "review scores" and then go "back" and then "save" OR "save" which takes you to the squad list, and then redisplay the shooter and hit "review scores" and then hit "back" and then "save" again. The process I suggest is score targets, hit one button that saves the scores and opens the "review scores" window, and then hit a button on that window that takes you back to the squad.

Finally, on the "export match stages & scores" function, I'd like to be able to save to the internal file structure because we are not running SD cards in our nooks. For example, the \media\EZWinscore directory is available when the Nook is plugged in the USB port of a Windows computer. We've been using that directory to bring in PSS.txt from EZWinscore already, and it would be handy to be able to transfer back to EZW that way (although the utility works good, too).

I have reviewed all of the suggestions on 0.9.21 tonight, and they are still valid. I also noticed the shooter registration screen no longer fits in one window now.

Thanks again for a great service to the shooting community!

Austex - thanks for the feedback.

I'm going to punt it over to one of our developers (Josh) for answering. Can you send a note to support@practiscore.com so we can answer you direct?

BTW: A new Android release was just placed on PractiScore.com this afternoon. This fixes some bugs and also does some internal support for exporting to winMSS (how IPSC scores overseas).

Regards,

Ken N.

BTW: A new Android release was just placed on PractiScore.com this afternoon. This fixes some bugs and also does some internal support for exporting to winMSS (how IPSC scores overseas).

Hey, Ken, don't forget your friends from up North. There is no sea in between. :)

It was actually amazing to see a fix for an issue reported at the morning posted on the web site the same afternoon. Your guys are great! Thumbs up!

Here is something I've been kicking around in my head for a while. The main problem with the Palm system was that it was tied to outdated and hard to find gear. While that's not the case with an iPod / Android based system, there is still a part of that lurking. Because of issues viewing many of the color device screens in the bright sun, the optimal solution currently is to use what is most certainly a dead-end product - the B&W Nook Simple Touch. Granted, these are currently in production so they will be around for a while, but what happens in a year or two when they will most likely have gone the way of the Dodo bird?

Probably not so much of a consideration today. B&N announced a back-light nook simple touch yesterday (or thursday) that runs even longer on a single charge than the regular nook and is even a little bit lighter.

I'm starting to research and test this app for my club. In just playing with it on my phone I already have a question...how do I un-DQ a shooter?

Also, when you DQ someone there's no field to put the reason or referenced rule. We'd need that to be in there somewhere.

Question for you guys,

Just started using Practiscore in my club and I was entering info from yesterday's match.

We had a fixed time stage and halfway through entering I have 5 shooters who have maxed out the stage and no way to figure out who was the best on that stage. I would use the lowest time to determine stage winner, but I don't see a place to enter a time when scoring the fixed time stage. Any suggestions?

Thanks....teemch5