Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI

Iggy42

Can anyone tell me where STI makes their Single Stacks? I am thinking of getting a Ranger II for a daily carry gun, but I really want something that can be stamped Made in the USA. I know some STIs are made here but are not sure what ones. If nothing else does anyone know where I can find a breakdown of what 1911s could carry the Made in the USA stamp since the only people that really say anything about it is S&W

Thanks

The ranger is built on their full size government frame, which I believe is forged in house. I think, but not positive that only the Spartan frame is made by armscor. Either way, I have to say I would (biasedly) highly recommend the ranger 2 for a carry gun as that is exactly what I carry (in .45). It has a balance and feel to it that is very hard to describe, but to me, the word 'perfect' comes to mind. Maybe it's the short slide / bull barrel combo, but I know that if my life was on the line this is the pistol I'd want in hand. (unless the Tactical was within reach :))

my spartan 9mm has a armscor frame, slide, and possibly the barrel i believe. the rest of the internals are STI. Fit of the frame and slide of my spartan has impressed many of my shooting friends given the price point.

My Ranger II says Georgetown Texas, and STI's website says that all are made in Georgetown Texas with the exception of the GP series and the Spartan, its under the FAQ's page.

Website says built here, not necessarily American parts. Could be on an Armscor frame/slide, similar to SA and their Imbrel (Brazilian) frames. I know Ruger is/was casting frames for a lot of folks, but no idea who all is on that list outside of Caspian.

Before anyone gets all bent out of shape, Made in the USA very important to me as I grew up in the shadow of the Big 3 (SE Michigan) and I have seen what happens when people shop/buy imports. Far as I am concerned any little thing I can do to keep someone employed so they can take care of their family I am all for.

Response I got from STI via Facebook

"Aside from the GP series (Slovakia) and the Spartan Series (Philippines) all of our pistols are made right here in Georgetown, Tx. We make the frames, slides, small parts- all of it. Thank you for considering one of ours and if you have any other questions don't hesitate to let us know!"

Pretty much answers any question right there

Response I got from STI via Facebook

"Aside from the GP series (Slovakia) and the Spartan Series (Philippines) all of our pistols are made right here in Georgetown, Tx. We make the frames, slides, small parts- all of it. Thank you for considering one of ours and if you have any other questions don't hesitate to let us know!"

Pretty much answers any question right there

thats what i thought. you guys had me scared for a minute there.

I have got to say that the frame to slide fit on my Spartan is tight. My last 1911 was a Colt Gold Cup and it was honestly loose. I dont think that it was much of a problem though because it shot pretty darn good with my reloads. Only time it gave fits was when I tried using shok buffs which I then tossed in trash.