Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In-Press Primer Detonation

After more than 25 years of loading on progressive presses (mostly Dillons, of course), I finally had a primer light off in the press. Needless to say, it got my attention.

I was loading 45ACP on my 1050. I don't load a lot of 45, maybe 3-4 one thousand round lots a year. It always feels weird to me because the machine does not feel like it does when I'm loading 9mm, 38 Super, or 40 S&W. I think that is because I don't run the swager and backup rod on the other calibers, only on 45.

I'm slowly chugging along last night. At the end of each stroke, I can feel something "weird", but I know that it's just the swager hitting the primer pockets. This particular stroke felt the same, just with a little more resistance. Of course, I persevered on. Apparently, I crushed a primer because it went off. I saw a flash of light come out of the hole in the toolhead and then the loud bang. My ears were ringing on that one.

They say that the loudest noise associated with guns is a "bang" when you expect to hear a "click". I don't know about that anymore. A "bang" when you're not expecting anything was plenty loud to me.

And to answer the question that I know is forthcoming...I CLENCHED.

Edited by Braxton1

I'm curious about this from a design perspective. Can you describe more about what happened and whatghe result was? Were you wearing safety glasses? Was there any flying debris or burnt material? Any damage to the press or components (or body parts)?

Glasses: Nope (but there is a pair laying atop the press now).

No frags hit me, but I am pretty sure that some came out of the hole just above the priming station. A large flash emanated from there, so I am pretty sure that fragments were present also, although I didn't see any ceiling damage.

No damage (except to my pride and a possible pulled muscle from the aforementioned "clenching"). The piece of brass was probably still usable, although it is being preserved as a reminder to never force anything.

Edited by Braxton1

I had this happen with my 1050 a few years ago. Due to the design of the 1050 priming system, all it did was scare the crap out of me. Turns out I had some cases that had gotten wet and during de-priming only the center of the cup would come out. The sides of the primer stayed in the case. When it got to the priming station it tried to push that primer in there and bang. I always use the swager and learned that if I feel the handle get springy the case has a problem.

Did you happen to get a hold of a 45 case that uses a small primer?

What brand primers were you using?

CCI 500s.

It was not a Small Primer pocket.

I was thinking that I had a primer draw-back and tried to seat a new primer over the old crushed one. I had just replaced the decapping pin and forgot to put that little taper on the end like I usually do. But considering the large flash that came out of the top, the flash hole must've been clear, so there goes that theory.

Glad the rest of the tube didn't go....it is ..um...exciting! :rolleyes:

With the advent of small primer bastard brass....Make sure your swage rod it in there all the time.

When you feel something out of place, stop and inspect the case in the swage station. It is usually a small primer case.

As always, if something feels wrong, stop, don't pull through it. I know it is easy to do though.

The cool thing of the design of the 1050 is that you can pull out the mashed primer, clean the slide off, and keep going.

Unfortunately, it is one of those things....it is not if, but when it happens if you load enough...

Keep the faith!

DougC

re-examine the primer pocket. Federal is broadening their use of small primers in 45 ACP. Now, in addition to the lead-free primers in 45ACP being small, their premier brass is also using small primers. We wish they would publicize this more, it casues a lot of problems. We spoke with Federal reps at the SHOT show, and they told us they are increasing their use of small-primed 45ACP brass.

4-5 years ago I lit up a couple of small primers on my 650. Each one scared the crap out of me and left my ears ringing. Both times I was impatient and forced the handle...know better but... Fortunately I've never lit up a large primer.

I use the 1050 for most of my loading and have mangled a few small primers that didn't fire. I usually listen to my Ipod books while loading and appreciate the sound insulation I get from wearing ear buds. I use the rubber ones that form-fit better inside the ear. Even if turn off the ipod I keep the buds in to minimize the background noise. One of these days when I do light off another primer I'll be glad to have the buds in...

What brand primers were you using?

CCI 500s.

It was not a Small Primer pocket.

I was thinking that I had a primer draw-back and tried to seat a new primer over the old crushed one. I had just replaced the decapping pin and forgot to put that little taper on the end like I usually do. But considering the large flash that came out of the top, the flash hole must've been clear, so there goes that theory.

I would think the old primer was still there...... That has happened to me

Maybe I'm just blessed. I've never lit one off and I've thoroughly mangled several, and I do mean mangled!

I haven't figured out which I hate worse, small primer .45 brass or crimped primer .45 brass. They both suck! :angry2:

Edit: I pretty much use Federal primers exclusively.

Edited by Shadowrider

re-examine the primer pocket. Federal is broadening their use of small primers in 45 ACP. Now, in addition to the lead-free primers in 45ACP being small, their premier brass is also using small primers. We wish they would publicize this more, it causes a lot of problems. We spoke with Federal reps at the SHOT show, and they told us they are increasing their use of small-primed 45ACP brass.

I ran across a few of these Federals on my last reloading session of .45 ACP.

The first one was a shocker. I looked at it and could not believe my eyes.

It was easy enough to feel on the up stroke...if felt like the primer hit a wall. After that one I felt/found three more in 800 rounds and tossed them all in the trash.

Load Safely

UPDATE: I finally got the time to go in and pick out all of the shrapnel from the primer pocket of this case. It WAS a small-primered Federal case.

That's my first time actually seeing one. Heard about 'em, but haven't seen one.

I had that happen to once on a 450 that I load 45 acp on. I just forced it too hard and pop, flash.

It really woke me up.

Did not get hurt,Thank The Gods. But I just slowed down alittle and watch it, that was about 6 years ago using CCI Primers.

Glad you did not get hurt.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I finally got the time to go in and pick out all of the shrapnel from the primer pocket of this case. It WAS a small-primered Federal case.

That's my first time actually seeing one. Heard about 'em, but haven't seen one.

Yup, a friend of mine gave me a couple boxes of them a month ago. I was glad I looked at them before I started reloading or I would have been in same boat as you. Changing primer size on a 100 year old case design is stupid IMHO.

I've been reloading for 30 years, and just bought my first progressive, an XL650 on Friday. Got it set up Friday night and after a few hundred rounds of smooth .45 loading, I put in another bag of .45 once fired I had bought at the local gun show. I had no idea that they made small primer in .45 - almost 1/2 of this brass was small primer. The first one, I tried to force it and had the large primer blow. First time I've had a primer go off in 30 years. Scared the crap out of me as the press was littered with granules of titegroup. Took me a little while to figure out what the problem was. I'm certainly going to ask from now on and make sure I only buy large primer brass.

After I tumble my 45 acp brass I decap and size all my .45 acp brass in a spare tool head I have then I clean the primer pockets. That way I can sort out the small and large primer brass. I also have a single stage and run them thru a Lee bulge buster setup. Takes more time but I have less problems when reloading.