Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just saw an ad for a Sightron 1-7 3 gun scope!

OPENB

I opened my weekly email from Graf & Sons, and at the bottom, saw an ad for a Sightron SIII 1-7x24 30mm 3 gun scope. It has an illuminated 4a reticle with red/green illum. $799, out of stock. 1-7? Can't have much of a FOV. Have we gone too far? Didn't have much on details like FFP/SFP, FOV, etc. Just thought someone would be interested. Sightron makes a decent scope.

Sightron had prototypes for this scope last year(early 2011). I spent over 2 hours comparing the prototypes to Swarovski 1-6. The glass in the Sightron is right there with the Swarovski. The Swarovski has a bit better field of view but the illumination in the Swaro is in another league altogether.

I also played with the production version this year at the SHOT Show and have one on order. The glass is as good as last year. The illumination is a little better but still not anywhere near as good as the Swaro. If this scope had a better reticle it would be the scope to have for 3 gun. Excellent eye relief, glass that is near as good as the Swarovski, true 1x and also the 7x on the top end. The FOV is 91.9 on 1x but feels bigger because the scope disappears with both eyes open. It has 100 MOA adjustments and weighs 20 oz. Eye releif is 3.9 to 4.8.

To answer the question above it really does have true 1x. To be exact I think it is like .98 power and the top end is really 7. There is talk of a 2-14 and a 3-21 eventually. My Swaro 1-6 is also like .97 or something like that.

Oh, and the turrets are low profile but reset-able to zero by pulling up and pushing back down. It also has Sightron exact tract system so the scope should track as well as their SIII target scopes.

Edited by 1760yds

• 2 weeks later...

Probably about the same time folks start buying them instead of complaining about them. No point investing in a platform that no one wants to buy. That said, I have a Sightron 2-7x that a buddy loaned me and it with a daylight illuminated dot would be PERFECT for 3-Gun.

All of that sounds good, but until someone gets on a rifle with an actual production version and checks out the actual parallax, I will remain skeptical. More magnification results in more parallax everything else being equal. There are some really nice looking scopes out there, but unless your check weld is perfect, the parallax can be an issue. I've seen a few guys tank big time on longer range stages to later find out parallax got them. There is a reason the 6x, and 8x scopes cost so much, and it ain't all glass quality!

Edited by MarkCO

All of that sounds good, but until someone gets on a rifle with an actual production version and checks out the actual parallax, I will remain skeptical. More magnification results in more parallax everything else being equal. There are some really nice looking scopes out there, but unless your check weld is perfect, the parallax can be an issue. I've seen a few guys tank big time on longer range stages to later find out parallax got them. There is a reason the 6x, and 8x scopes cost so much, and it ain't all glass quality!

I think I suffer from this on occasion. I never miss until I get to a match.

• 2 weeks later...

Oooh, this is very interesting news, indeed... thanks. Sightron is japanese glass, very good. Especially the S3s. Not Chinese or Philipino.

May I mention once again that in my view, it just doesn't matter whether it goes down to a true 1x. Unless you have lost an eye, just slap a flip-up Butler Creek cover on the front, use it with cover closed as an OEG (for close in) - voila, instant true 1x, longer eye relief, and in essense perfect unlimited FOV. Nothing faster than an OEG, IMO.

Yes, it could be exaggerated a smidge - lots of companies do that. It could be more like a 6x-ish erector; say 1.1-6.6, 1.15-6.9, something like that - not enough to notice any difference. But maybe not; could be a true 1-7.

But yeah, I too would like to have a larger outer circle or similar, as well as a larger objective - 32mm would be ideal.. would give you just almost 5mm exit pupil @ 7x. I'm also not understanding how it's illuminated with no rheostat control (??).

Edited by UnlicensedDremel

This scope is for sale here at $759:

Well I can't put up links yet, so read between the lines....

longrangesupply dot com forward-slash index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=110_99_116&products_id=14772&zenid=2428e040c1705fc36c65de22081bbe93

Well they're taking pre-orders, not orders...

Edited by UnlicensedDremel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've been plenty happy with mine. The dot reticle is not ideal, but hasn't been a problem either. I've used it out to 400 yards and love it. The illumination isn't great, but I don't use it anyway. 1x up close is really 1x and works great. Looking at the numbers the field of view isn't the best, but haven't noticed any desire for more. One thing is that it is a pretty long scope and requires a lot of eye relief. The Larue SPR-E works perfectly.

• 8 months later...

I've been plenty happy with mine. The dot reticle is not ideal, but hasn't been a problem either. I've used it out to 400 yards and love it. The illumination isn't great, but I don't use it anyway. 1x up close is really 1x and works great. Looking at the numbers the field of view isn't the best, but haven't noticed any desire for more. One thing is that it is a pretty long scope and requires a lot of eye relief. The Larue SPR-E works perfectly.

I'm interested in that scope. Based on picture from sightron, there is a dot in the biddle of the reticle. Is it illuminated dot that goes away and this is normal german reticle after - just cross, or dot stays in the middle, covering target ?

And did you compare IR4A vs IRMOS reticles ?

--

Thanks !