Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Open Blaster

lgbmike

After much research I have narrowed it down to Bedell or Brazo. I am new to IPSC and this will be my 1st Open class gun. It will be .38 Super Comp in 5" gun.

I like the idea of Bedells seperate barrel and comp--Brazo uses STI's Trubore intigrated barrel and comp on his new SC line (which is the one I am considering).

I am looking for owner reviews. Who's got'em and how do you like them? Any input, as always, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

:D

However being it the SC (semi-custom) model Bob is supposed to have them in stock starting mid july. Price is also better on the SC line than on the fully custom and you get the most standard features.

I would go with the Brazos - but then again I am not an owner of either

It is always hard making a decision between to very good guns/gunsmiths. I have a Bedell (9mm) and really like it. I don't think that you could get more gun for the money. OTOH, Bob's guns really look great and run.

Here is what I would do if I were you. Pick the one that lives closest to you, Pick up the phone and invest in a couple of dollars long distance.

Mike

I'd go with Bob at Brazos Custom. I have a Limited gun by him, and will hopefully be picking up an SX2 for next year.

I wouldn't really knock the Tru-Bor as it appears to do alright in Max Michel's gun. The concept is sound and the barrels are accurate.

Get them both on the phone and let them help you make the best decision. Don't let time be a big factor. All good things come to those who wait. That goes further for those that take the time to make good solid decisions.

Good luck.

Rich

Have you considered a STInger? I got mine about two weeks ago and it is AWESOME!!!!! Dont get me wrong, i'm not knocking the other two as I was about to drop the cash on one of the two when the STInger fell into my lap. It is the absolute softest and flattest shooting open gun I have ever shot. I think in part due to the design of the trubor barrel. The trubor design is one piece, no comp to loosen up or "clock". It also makes the entire unit shorter due to the lack of threads. Less weight = shorter, faster handling gun. Just my .02 cents.

DaG

Another vote for TruBore. Separate comp is one more thing that can go wrong.

Bullets hitting compensator baffles has been one of the only equipment things to hurt me at a tournament [happened about 5 or 6 times]. You have NO IDEA where your shots are hitting once that kicks in. Might as well turn the dot off.

Another Point.

If what you want, is the Brazos gun, buy it from Brazos. I doubt you will be sorry.

If what you want is not available "off the rack", Bedell is the best deal going in custom guns.

TMC,

I didn't realize you liked the gun that much. I'll have to let you shoot it next time we're at the same match. Then I'll have to keep an eye on you so you don't go Tanya Harding on me. :D

The only gun that I would swich too from my Pit Viper would be a Brazos SX2. However, that's only 'cause I haven't shot Bob's SC Open gun...yet.

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

If you haven't already committed, I just got my Bedell Shorty last week. Although, I haven't shot an IPSC match with it yet due to testing some loads first, I have shot a local steel match using Minor PF loads & switching the RecoilMaster out for a standard guide rod & 8-lb. ISMI spring.

Fit & finish of the gun is very good & I went with a STI short, flat-faced trigger (same as on my 5" STI GrandMaster).

Dan Bedell is a great guy to deal with & informs you on progress as the build is coming along. It looks like he will beat the time he initially tells you the gun will be done, but not sure of his backlog yet.

I can send you a pic if you'd like. (Just contact me via email since I've not posted a digital image to this site.) I went with the higher-end package, but did not hardcrome yet.

[ What is the higher-end package???????? ]

Answer to this better served by either Chuck Bradley at Shooters Connection or Dan Bedell, but there is a "standard" package for less price, then the "higher end". Included in the latter are AET barrel, Recoilmaster, Koenig hammer, Aftec extractor, custome stipple job on grip, slide racker, EGW or STI slide stop, etc., etc.

I think that this is the regular package as listed on chucks website.

Not...need to talk to Chuck to understand you can save some $$$ if you want. But for the difference in what you get, more than worth the additional. <_<

Ok, so what is the difference. I ordered my gun from Chuck, and he didn't mention different packages. I thought that I have all the options being offered at that time. Mine has the aet bbl, slide racker, koenig hammer, aftec, grip stipple job etc, all on the base price deal. I don't know if I would have added anything on my gun, but as it turns out, I could have deleted the extended mag release.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I know that it is probably quite a bit more money, but have you considered Dawson Precision? The Practical Advantage Open with the Minigun Stroker options is one of the smoothest guns that I have ever shot. You will have to wait a bit longer, because Dave Dawson custom builds ever gun himself; but it is worth the wait.

• 4 months later...

Just to clear some things up. We did come out with a basic open gun for 1995.00. When i say Basic it is basic. Jan 1 we did go up on these to 2095.00 but to be honest most are choosing our tricked out Shorty which is now 2595.00. And that includes everything including all the top end, high tech parts. From the Schuemann AET Barrel which is the highest tech most accurate barrel out there to the Titanium Bedell Compensator. We include the Koenig Hammer, Aftec Extractor, EGW Sear, Extreme Disconnector , Brown Safeties, STI grip Safety and slide racker. It also includes all the gunsmithing such as stippled grip whihc is shaped for comfort. This in addition to the knukle relief we do on the grip safety makes our gun the most comfortable you will ever hold. WE have also come out with a new model that goes for around 4500.00. No difference in this model and our tricked out model , its just for those that think if you spend more it must be better and we can wait to build it in a year for those that think if you wait longer it must be better.

Seriously, our lead time is now 3 months, sorry , but More and More are realizing what a great deal we are offering and Dan can only build them so fast. With about 100 guns out there now more are seeing first hand the great job Dan does and are feeling more comfortable with his work.

Chuck

WE have also come out with a new model that goes for around 4500.00. No difference in this model and our tricked out model , its just for those that think if you spend more it must be better and we can wait to build it in a year for those that think if you wait longer it must be better.

:lol:

I know and like Bob. I know and like Dan. Heck, I know and like Benny, and Dave Skinner, and Dave Dawson...all make great products, and their pistols will serve you well.

However, Dan Bedell's turnaround time is fast and $2,500 is REALLY hard to beat for a pimped-out Open gun with all the bling-bling options unless you have some sort of voodoo hold on your favorite top-flight gunsmith :)

Alex

PS: