Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

iPod

MBaneACP

At this very moment I am importing my (so called) CD collection onto my new IPod. I will be zoning out with it on a cruise ship in Hawaii, while Erik Warren and Co will be sweating over the Golden Bullet. (actually, I wish I could shoot the match, but, well, family obligations and stuff, y'know... :D )

• 8 months later...
Guest Larry Cazes

I just bought the 40GB version and I love it! Anybody tried any of the aftermarket gadgets for it? How about some suggestions.....

I've got a Griffin iTrip and a Belkin car charger. I use 'em all the time in the car. I had the Belkin battery pack backup thingy, but it caused some funkiness with my 3g 'Pod.

Also have an Altec Lansing inMotion. Another great product. It's playing my iPod in the background as I type this. :D

I'm actually thinking about picking up a shuffle for going to the gym, though. Something light that I can clip onto my shirt collar would be awesome. Sometimes the 'Pod gets in the way.

I'm also using the iTrip, although I think if I were to buy a car adaptor again, I'd go with a one piece cradle transmitter.

I also have a nifty remote that lets me drive my high end home audio system with the iPod and control everything with my harmony remote.

I'm up to about 15GB so far and iTunes is in danger of replacing amazon as the most expensive place to visit on the web.

If you haven't seen it yet, check out http://www.ipodlounge.com/index.php

Kevin

What is a "one piece cradle transmitter"? I've heard poor comments on the iTrip's sound quality, so I'm currently using a cassette adapter to get the iPod into my factory Bose sound system. :( Which unfortunately doesn't have a "direct-in" plug. :angry:

be

It's an iPod charger and Fm transmitter in one unit. There have been mixed reviews of this product. As with all FM transmitters the number of radio transmitters in your area and their signal strength will affect the effectiveness on any iPod Fm transmitter.

Removing the car aerial may aid reception of your iPod..

The best solution still remains a head unit (radio/cd/cassette) with a direct 3.5mm input socket.

Or better yet , check these guys out...

LogJam Electronics

Guest Larry Cazes

Sounds like an Itrip might be in my future and the only problem i've run into so far is with the fit of the apple headphones(buds). Anyone found a nice replacement set?

Sounds like an Itrip might be in my future and the only problem i've run into so far is with the fit of the apple headphones(buds). Anyone found a nice replacement set?

Apple makes their own 'in-ear' headphones, available from the amazon web-site, of course you will use the USPSA link so that our beloved organisation gets $2.49 from the deal. The in-ear stuff should be fine for those of us used to wearing ear-plugs to the range.

I've had problems with the supplied earphones as well, they are just a tad too big. The in-ear ones come with different sized inserts as not everyones holes are the same size... :rolleyes:

My iTrip stinks. We have so much radio "clutter" where I'm at you can barely lock a good freq, and in 2 days or a week it changes. Suddenly, somthing from 70 miles away is trying to come in, and the iTrip goes to crap. I need something better.

Better in-ear headphones can be found here:

These are about as far as this technology goes. The added benefit of the ear-buds is the sound ISO they provide. Great for planes. They stay in place like all get-out. They provide enough ISO that I think you could shoot with them using the proper fitting ear insert.

http://www.shure.com/personaltech/default.asp?id=mainsub1

My wife has the E2c and I have the E3c. I tried an E5c but feel the E3c is as good as I need for the cash.

I used to carry a set of the Sony MD-VR6 folding studio monitor quality headphone’s and thought it was the cat’s meow. But no, the Shure in-ears easily kick it up a notch, Bam!! (sorry Emeril).

Another trick to good fidelity (read deep bass response without distortion) is to take the load off the iPod amplifier circuitry. I added a small battery powered pre-amplifier from Radio Shack to the mix to let me keep all the gains in the iPod (including the EQ pre-amplifier gain setting) turned down to under 30%. The RS preamplifier allows up to three headsets to get driven without bogging down. Cost $16.95. Two AA’s lasted me 3 months +.

This allows you to add a large bass pre-emphasis at 60 hz and below in the EQ settings without a large amount of distortion being generated when the feeble internal amplifier tried to do it. When you get this setup right, the world of audio quality you get from this thing is downright awesome and a step above anything most folks have ever experienced.

Can’t get bass without swinging some current on the output driver. The electronics in the iPod and in any computer playing iTunes just plain craps out whenever much bass is added and the gain is turned up internally. Get the gain outside the iPod/iTunes and add bass in the EQ. Instant subwoofer, instant awesome!

Most headphones will sound better right out of the gate with just a preamp and some tweaking, but they will crap out early because they just won’t be able to handle real high current drive. When you add high quality transducers like Sony Studio Monitor headphones, or the Shure ear-buds, then you start to really get some bad ass gain with real deep bass, without distortion.

--

Regards,

I heartily second Geoff's recommendation. I recently picked up the E2c's (for $80 at Fry's Electronics - I think they "mis-rang-up" as things often do at Fry's) and can't even believe how amazing they sound. I'm not sure I've ever heard music like that before, actually.

And yes, once you figure out how to twist 'em in there, they're rock-solid stable.

be