Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 Gen 3 vs Gen 4

srf

I'm in the market for a Production/SSP horse and it's going to be a 34. I love the new mag catch on the Gen 4 but I'm hearing stories about reliability issues with the new recoil system. Any knowledgable info would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in the market for a Production/SSP horse and it's going to be a 34. I love the new mag catch on the Gen 4 but I'm hearing stories about reliability issues with the new recoil system. Any knowledgable info would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Gen4 G17.

Three main issues.

1. New Extractor manufaturing technique that resulted in a bad batch.
  2. Old Ejectors have been redesigned for some reason.
  3. Recoil spring assembly was over sprung in the 9mm and rumor has it the Gen4 34's were sized wrong.

Lone Wolf has a part that fixes the extractor issue. My Gen4 needed this part.

Not sure about the new ejector. My Gen4 hasn't had any issues here.

Jager has a one spring assembly for Gen4 G17s, I'm not sure if they fit the G34. Inquire here. I have one but have not needed it.

My summary: If you don't need the smaller grip for reaching the trigger, just get extended controls and put them on a Gen3.

I have been shooting a Gen4 34 for a month or so now, I would have never switched to glock if it wasnt fore the new grip, I just cannot deal with the GEN3 grip. I love the way the GEn4 with no backstraps feels. Reliability wise I have only had a few issues, most were resolved with a Jager guide rod and 13lbs spring. I have also had a few light strikes after switching to a glocktriggers.com challenger kit. As for the extractor mine seems to be ok, although low power ammo in the cold weather will send a case past my head on occasion. I plan to get a Lonewolf extractor as soon as they have them available again.

I have about 800 rounds through my Gen 4 G34. I shoot 147gr moly bullets that make about 135pf because anything lower than that does not cycle my gun reliably. The gun came with the "improved" recoil spring and the only change I have made is a fiber optic front sight. I have no complaints.

Also don't forget that aftermarket parts availability is not nearly as good with the gen4. Finding used parts is even harder.

What after market parts do you have trouble finding for a G4 Glock?

It's not that you can't find them... it's that selection of slides, guide rods, etc. is much worse; and that finding cheap used parts is very difficult.

[quote

It's not that you can't find them... it's that selection of slides, guide rods, etc. is much worse; and that finding cheap used parts is very difficult.

I have no need for additional slides for my G4 pistols, have no trouble finding parts and do not use cheap used parts.

Also don't forget that aftermarket parts availability is not nearly as good with the gen4. Finding used parts is even harder.

What after market parts do you have trouble finding for a G4 Glock?

<_< It's a Glock.... What's wrong with cheap new parts?

I have no need for additional slides for my G4 pistols, have no trouble finding parts and do not use cheap used parts.

Well, then I guess I'm just wrong since if you don't want another slide or use used parts, no one else does either.

Also, GEN4 34 is technically not production legal yet.

Why is that? Its a Glock 34.

if you look at the current list it has the gen3 and gen4 glock 35. same for a few others. apparpently glock has not sold 2000 34 gen4's yet or has not notified uspsa of it.

I have both and cannot tell much difference except for the mag release. I wish the gen4 was extended a pinch on the 34/35! Now on the other hand my new carry gen3 17... lets just say any gun can have teething issues. That new ejector works wonders!

glock meister sells an gen4 extended mag release which has a glock part number on it and it is so much better than the stock one. The extended sticks out a little more, but the best thing is they rounded off the pointy edge that was killing my thumb during dryfire. its the best 8.00 i have spent on it yet!!!

Edited by Boosted3s

• 7 months later...

I am also in the market to upgrade the sights on a Gen4 G34. I like the Dawson Products. My understanding is that the front sight needs to be .245 inches tall. Can someone please tell me which rear to buy? Or perhaps which set, front and rear? Thanks in advance!

I bought a Gen 4 for the changeable backstraps, as I have some girls coming up. The odd thing is I really like the small grip, the medium grip, and the large grip. I can't decide. I have a big mitt so I figured the +2 would be the ticket but time will tell. I liked it so much I bought a Gen 3 too (two girls). I have shot a match with both so far and they both perform great. Actually with Bunnyfart loads, I probably shoot them better than my 1911's (sacrilege I know).