Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Rifles - Short ones, like 12-14.5"

3-Gun Sweden

Shorter than 16" barrels are kind of a pain in the US. We have federal paperwork and have to wait up to 6 months before it gets approved. 16 " or longer and it will take me about 2 minutes in the local gun shop. I've never seen a short barrel on a JP rifle but have shot several short barreled ARs. They are fun. And very loud. A friend has a 10" with a suppressor, It is great fun.

It depends on what you are expecting out of it.

The JP quality, accuracy, and attention to detail should be a foregone conclusion.

The one thing you can expect is to experience more harshness in the recoil impulse the shorter the barrel becomes.

However, light and fast is great. Do get the longest handguard you can though.

If you're going short just for fun, then go short. I have a 7.5" barreled upper for

my M16 and it is always a hit at the range. It is super loud, with a deep nice thump to it. For just blasting away it is hard to beat. I say if you're getting a short barrel to just play with, go as short as you can. My shorty upper has just enough room to hold onto the front handguard.

I've got 7.5, 10.5, 11.5, 12.5, and 14.5 uppers for my AR's. I vastly prefer the 11.5 and 12.5 over the 7.5. The 7.5 shot out the barrel in a very short time and destroyed the suppressor that was on it(the one that said don't put it on anything shorter than 10.5, oops). The shortys handle very well. Downrange performance is not great and there is more drop do to the lowered velocity. Some of that can be fixed by using ammo geared towards short barrels but it's neve going to be a good as an 18". If youve got the coin they are a lot of fun.

I have a 10.5 inch AR (not a JP) and it is way good in the light and fast handling departments. Very accurate and well balanced. As far as noise goes, they can be loud. I (and this is my opinion, I don't want to start a yes it does/no it doesn't argument.....) have found that the Noveske KX3 flash hider is very effective at pushing the sound downrange and away from the shooter. The 10.5's used in a Law Enforcement setting were found to be rough in close quarters, not so much to the shooter, but to partners on either side in close quarters. Switching to the KX3 makes the 10.5's to seem like a 18 inch gun to the shooter near the muzzle. The noise and muzzle blast is not reduced as a suppressor would do, but rather seems to be "pushed away". It makes for a funny echo in a shooting bay. Love love love my shorty.

I have an 18" CTR-02 and LRP-07. I also have a couple 16" 762 LaRues (OBR and PredatAR). Now that they have come out with the PredatOBR, I considered getting one of these in 14.5". HOWEVER, I've heard the recoil impulse in the 14.5" LRP-07 is much less than other 762 SBRs. I can say this is certainly true of the 18" LRP-07.

I'm still trying to figure out whether to get the 14.5" 762 PredatOBR or the LRP-07. It will be about $4K to the the LRP-07 built the way I want it without glass. I'll post again in about 6 months if I decide to get the JP. I have a SureFire 762K suppressor to run on this project.

Edited by DMAC

I present to you:

JP CTR-02 12"

and

JP-15 12"

Here in Sweden, if you get the license it will only take a few weeks but below 16" is "special". ;)

Wow! Those are very nice. Does JP offer a shorter barrel length (10.5 or 11.5) in those rifles?

I present to you:

JP CTR-02 12"

and

JP-15 12"

Here in Sweden, if you get the license it will only take a few weeks but below 16" is "special". ;)

Wow! Those are very nice. Does JP offer a shorter barrel length (10.5 or 11.5) in those rifles?

I have no idea. I'm sure they can build what you like, but they have recommended the 14.5" to me due to reliability.

I guess with competition specs + shorter barrel, things aren't optimal.