Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My 9mm reloads are SMOKEY!?

Ssanders224

Het guys,

So Im a new 9mm reloaded, and finally got to the range today and shot some over the chrono.

The good news is that all the loads ended up right where I thought they would, fed reliably, and where consistent. I tried 2 diff types of bullets with incremental charges, and found the sweet spot with both bullets making 130-135 PF.

The PROBLEM is that whoa they were smokey. Enough that it was affecting my transitions on a plate rack. Here are the loads that chronoed where I want them:

125grn precision moly FP

4.0 grains Universal Clays

1.11 OAL

125grn Velocity LRN

4.0 grains Universal Clays

Both of these loads felt great, and we're at about 130 PF. They smoke BADD though. Is that just the nature of this powder/ bullets? Or am I doing something wrong?

I have some Unique I am going to try as well, but I'm betting it's not much better.

its the moly and lead bullets along with powder combination that causes the smoke.

i'm guessing the moly was slightly less smokey than the lead but not by much??

Edited by yoshidaex

yeah, some powder really smokes with lead/moly bullets. I use Vihtavuori N320 with Precision Bullets (moly) and the smoke is not really noticeable. Next time we are at the range I'll let you shoot some of my reloads and see what you think.

Jd,

What weight precisions are you using? If N320 will not smoke with Precisions I'll order some tonight! Ha. And yes the Molys smoked SLIGHTLY less, but not much.

Shouldn't have played with your AR so long today and you could have come given me your opinion on them! LOL

BTW, I shot Ricks LMT a little. Smacking the 200 yd gong was not a problem, even with his $60 Dot haha. You guys are hard on my check book.

Jd,

What weight precisions are you using? If N320 will not smoke with Precisions I'll order some tonight! Ha. And yes the Molys smoked SLIGHTLY less, but not much.

Shouldn't have played with your AR so long today and you could have come given me your opinion on them! LOL

BTW, I shot Ricks LMT a little. Smacking the 200 yd gong was not a problem, even with his $60 Dot haha. You guys are hard on my check book.

Here is my load data out of a M&P 9L, making a 135 PF

Bullet - 147gr Precision Bullets

Brass - Winchester

Primer - Winchester Small Pistol

Powder - 3.4gr Vihtavuori N320

OAL - 1.41

I wanted to come back and shoot the pistol and see how you guys were progressing, but I had an appointment at 12:15PM, that I was 15 minutes late for.

Not sure what it is, but I've owned about 3 rifles in before this AR, a Savage 30-06 when I was a kid, a Bushmaster AR .223 and a Rem 597 .22LR. Can not say I've ever been able to sight them in worth a darn. I seem to be befuddled with zeroing a rifle, handgun I can do, but rifle I'm lucky to hit the broad side of the barn. I know the Stag 3G is not the issue, nor is the Trijicon Reflex, just can't seem to get on the paper initially to start adjusting the elevation and windage.

Since Rick had no problem getting his LMT and $60 red dot on target, I should let him sight in my $600 Reflex...boy is that sad

4.5gn WSF

124gn Berry's FN Hollow Base bullet

1.075" OAL

Storm Lake barrel

Accurate and pleasant to shoot. I think it makes pf but do not have access to chronograph to verify.

4.5gn WSF

125gn Xtreme FN Plated (0.357 dia)

1.080" OAL

4.9" Beretta

3.85gn WSF

147gn Xtreme RN Plated (0.357 dia)

1.155" OAL

4.9" Beretta

Both are pretty accurate and soft as mcracco says. Not sure of the PF for each - need to chrono. Loading info says it "should" make minor.

However, my new favorite is:

4.3gn Silhouette

147gn Xtreme RN Plated (0.357 dia)

1.155" OAL

4.9" Beretta

Very accurate and "should" also make Minor.