Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson eazy off base pad for Glock

Red Ryder

Has anyone tried/used the Dawson Precision ez-off off base pads for Glock mags? http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=+DAWSON+PRECISION+PRODUCTS:DP+EZ-Off+Baseplates+for+Glock

Last year I shot the area 8 and after 6 stages my XDM mags were filthy and filled with sand. Disassembly of the XDM mags for cleaning was easy. This year I switched to a Glock and I am thinking about using these ez-off base pads since it is a pain in the arse to disassemble the glock mags. Any thoughts?

Most people won't take the risk of this approach, but I think you'll find the Glock mags don't need to be cleaned all that often. I used the same mags for 5 or 6 years without ever cleaning them. I've recently started shooting a CZ, they need cleaning.

I realize this is one of those posts that in no way answers the question, I just thought it's something to think about.

I bought one (2mm over) to try out, and though it was a bit thicker than I would prefer, it does go on/off MUCH easier than the stock base pads. I will probably order some of the 1mm over next time. Are they worth 15$ Yeah, I guess so. It's only money, right?

I wouldn't recommend them as they seem a bit expensive for what they are. With a little practice and a Glock punch, you will be cleaning them in no time.

The only times that I disassembled a mag in a match is when they are buried in sand, and when I go to reload them, I can hear it crunch.

I have a set of the +.100 pads...because the stock pads sit flush with the Dawson magwell I use and I needed just a bit more sticking out for seating the mag reliably when shooting L-10 or IDPA.

I find them to be easy off, but hard to get back on. And you still need a tool, I carry one of Dawsons little red screwdrivers in my range bag.

...since it is a pain in the arse to disassemble the glock mags. Any thoughts?

I never understand how people have so much trouble disassembling a Glock magazine. Get yourself a Glock armorer's tool (or long 3/32" punch), grip inverted mag in weak hand, shove tool in hole, all the way to the hilt, pry tool forward. It is SO simple. It's literally 5 seconds per mag.

...since it is a pain in the arse to disassemble the glock mags. Any thoughts?

I never understand how people have so much trouble disassembling a Glock magazine. Get yourself a Glock armorer's tool (or long 3/32" punch), grip inverted mag in weak hand, shove tool in hole, all the way to the hilt, pry tool forward. It is SO simple. It's literally 5 seconds per mag.

I guess I am in the short bus group that has trouble disassembling the Glock mags. I have the GtuL. It makes it a little easier but not much. I will try grinding off the plastic part that makes it a pain. Thanks!

I always had trouble getting glock mags apart until I went armorer school and someone showed me how to do it the right way. Once I saw it done I said, well don't I feel stupid. Just find someone who knows how to do it. and its a piece of cake. As far as cleaning them at the range, never had a need.

I won a tool from Brownell's several years ago that is like a pair of pliers for the Glock mags... look here

I would never have bought it, but it works (much) better than the GTUL in squeezing the mag for easy take-down...

As a poster above noted, a Glock punch, a little squeeze from my other thumb and pointer, and a quick second of movement get mine apart. Unless I feel the grit when loading, mine only come apart once or twice a season.

Other than that, I do take them apart when I first get them, and remove any of the excess plastic that seems to be common in Glock mags... If using base pads, I also bevel the follower.

While pushing in the insert with a punch, just press the rear corner of the baseplate into the top of a table. That provides the extra "umph" needed to easily remove the basepad, even on those pesky 10-rounders.