Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

building a good 870

lppd4

Help me set up my 870 for 3 gun. I shoot some matches that require a pump shotgun so please don't tell me to get an auto. My 870 currently has a 28" modified barrel and wooden stocks. What barrel length is optimal? What length extended mag tube? Are there any other accessories are work I should consider. I plan to have barrel cut and screw in chokes installed just don't know how long to have it cut.

you might try looking for a 22" turkey barrel first and save the 28". the turkey barrel comes with screw chokes, and it fits right into the optimal length for shotgun barrels, 21-24!! The wooden stock will work as is, once you get the barrel situation figured out you'll want to get a decent set of low profile front and rear sights. your ext. tube should allow you to get 9 rounds in to the tube min. do not worry if it sticks past the muzzle slightly. once that is done, polishing and figuring out how you want to load it are the most important issues.

trapr

Another option to consider is to buy a used Benelli Nova. I just checked Gunbroker and there were a few 24-26" Novas in the $300 range. A Nordic tube is the same price for a Remington as it is for the Benelli, and cutting your barrel is probally going to cost ~$200. For a little more, you could keep the Remington as is and have a 3gun shotgun also (two guns instead of one :cheers: ). Nothing wrong with an 870 (grew up hunting with one, still have three), but for me, the Nova is much easier to load.

Hurley

+1 on the Nova. I currently use and 870 just because iv had it since I was 12. Iv got alot of money in it but I would buy a nova if I was to start over with a pump.

And bigbrowndogs advise on the turkey barrel is great. Remington chokes are cheap and everywhere. The 22in barrel is a great length for 3 gun. B)

Edited by landshark45

I picked up a used Police trade-in 870 on one of gun auction sites. It has a 20" improved cylinder choke and open iron sights. I replaced the front sight with a fiber optic, and added a Nordic Components extended tube. Works fine for me, both with B&P slugs, winchester 00 buck, and birdshot.

get a Flexi-tab lifter, it lets you pump out a round that doesn't get caught by the stop in the mag, instead of pulling the trigger group.

Where do you get one? Thanks

Chances are your gun already has one. Look at the carrier. If there is a U shaped cut in it it's current. Remington has been using that feature for decades so unless you have a really old gun you should be okay.

If your carrier is uncut call Brownells and order the Flex Tab conversion kit for It.

I picked up a used Police trade-in 870 on one of gun auction sites. It has a 20" improved cylinder choke and open iron sights. I replaced the front sight with a fiber optic, and added a Nordic Components extended tube. Works fine for me, both with B&P slugs, winchester 00 buck, and birdshot.

This is what I've got. A slug barrel will get you IC choke and iron sights.

get a Flexi-tab lifter, it lets you pump out a round that doesn't get caught by the stop in the mag, instead of pulling the trigger group.

Chances are your gun already has one. Look at the carrier. If there is a U shaped cut in it it's current. Remington has been using that feature for decades so unless you have a really old gun you should be okay.

If your carrier is uncut call Brownells and order the Flex Tab conversion kit for It.

The pic below is my two 870s. The one on the left is a 2003 (my house gun) and the one on the left a 1963.

IMAG0093.jpg

How difficult is the conversion kit to install?

I love my well used pawn shop 21" vent rib barrel 870 Turkey gun. I put on a fiber front sight, cut the forearm back to not overhange the receiver, and put on a 8 round tube and barrel clamp, and an oversize safety. I have about $220 bucks in it. :blush:

I'm no gunsmith -- and I managed, using Patrick Sweeney's "Gunsmithing: Shotguns" as a guide.....

Holy cow -- those books are commanding some insane prices....

I could have sworn there was a more recent edition, available at bookstores....

Dang...even the Kindle edition is $18...I guess I know what I'm scrounging for on the book tables at gun shows.

Now, am I stupid, or is this the whole trigger group, with the flexitab lifter, for only $.04 more than the conversion? Or would that not work with the old bolt and carrier?

The pic below is my two 870s. The one on the left is a 2003 (my house gun) and the one on the left a 1963.

IMAG0093.jpg

If using the Brownells kit, it takes about 10 minutes. field strip the gun and replace the bolt and cam block with the new ones in the kit. Remove the trigger group and replace the lifter with the one from the kit (1 pin). No modifications to the existing parts are necessary.

If you're mad enough, you can do that with a non-Flexi-Tab lifter.... Don't ask how I know that.