Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinions on 1911/2011 gunsmiths in Chicago area

EngineerEli

I am looking into building up a 2011 pistol for USPSA Limited competition. I have a decent amount of experience working on guns, but for things like hammer and sear tuning and fine tuning, i would probably like a qualified gunsmith to help me out. Do you agree that these things are best left to a gunsmith or if i do my research should i be able to learn to do a good job my self?

What are people's opinions of gunsmith in the Chicago land area for this purpose. (Specifically the western suburbs if possible) Is there someone around that is considered the "best"? What would i probably be looking to pay for the trigger job and maybe the installation of sights?

Thanks!

-Eli

Go to the PistolSmith Guild website and look for a Guild member in your area.

You can call a couple of Guild members and ask them if they know of anyone.

In my experience, unless the gunsmith knows you, they are alway aware of potential liability issues.

I looked trough that web sight you suggested, and I will try searching the names on Google to see which ones have custom shops, and where they are at. At this point I guess I am still unsure weather I would be best just buying a new gun, or used one, instead of trying to get a custom one, or part one together. I like the idea of picking out all the parts so the gun is exactly what I want, then just giving the box of parts to a smith and having them assemble and tune everything, is this something people do? While I know this is not an inexpensive sport, I still want to minimize costs where I can. I am a young professional, and my money tree is still not flowering... For that reason I would prefer to buy the parts online to avoid tax, which is over 10 percent where I live, then have a local smith put fit everything. Or just get the whole gun online and send to a local FFL.

Anyone's opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Currently I am just getting more into shooting competitively. I shoot all the Maxon Combat Shoots in Des Plains. They are close for me and a lot of fun, but not official USPSA matches. All information about competitive pistol shooting in the area can be found on Wiilshoot's web sight (for WIsconsin ILlinois). For some reason one of the handicaps of too few posts is I can post links, but if you just Google search it you should find it then look at the calender page on the sight. I have found it to be quite comprehensive!

Must be lunch time, three people reply while i was replying!

I was just looking at Niel's sight, Kustom Ballistics, it looks like he does good work and if i just had him order everything too, he is out of state :D Not too bad of a drive either if I wanted to go in person.

Someone suggested just getting an STI. Which I am strongly considering, but I have heard that to really have a reliable gun, it is still best to send them straight to a gunsmith to work with. Which makes me wonder if just starting out custom would be a better choice. How good do the guns really come from STI? Frame to slide fit? Trigger? Reliable feeding? Is it different between different models? I have heard varying reviews.

Thanks again guys keep the opinions coming!

STI has a lifetime warranty. There is no reason to pay another gunsmith to make an STI work, when you can get that service for free from STI's warranty department.

I have not owned a custom gun, but the slide to frame fit, even on the cheaper STIs, is comparable to what I've seen for higher end guns. I have not even bothered to cut the sear in mine, because the trigger is pretty good (although I have set the overtravel). I use Dawson tuned magazines and I have never had a feeding issue related to the gun at all.

Used guns are an excellent value as well, but the STI Edge and Eagle are popular for a reason. Some might say to spend the extra $500 on a custom gun, but I'd argue that $500 is at least 20-30% of the cost of the gun, and that is a substantial premium.

If I were building another limited gun, I would want some things different compared to the gun I'm shooting right now, but my preferences will probably change before I ever build a gun, and so in the mean time, I'm going to wear out the gun I'm shooting before moving onto another gun.

I have also shot the Maxon shoots; they are fun and run by two absolutely excellent USPSA/NROI Range Officers, including RMI Perry Wilson.

STI has a lifetime warranty. There is no reason to pay another gunsmith to make an STI work, when you can get that service for free from STI's warranty department.

I have not owned a custom gun, but the slide to frame fit, even on the cheaper STIs, is comparable to what I've seen for higher end guns. I have not even bothered to cut the sear in mine, because the trigger is pretty good (although I have set the overtravel). I use Dawson tuned magazines and I have never had a feeding issue related to the gun at all.

Used guns are an excellent value as well, but the STI Edge and Eagle are popular for a reason. Some might say to spend the extra $500 on a custom gun, but I'd argue that $500 is at least 20-30% of the cost of the gun, and that is a substantial premium.

If I were building another limited gun, I would want some things different compared to the gun I'm shooting right now, but my preferences will probably change before I ever build a gun, and so in the mean time, I'm going to wear out the gun I'm shooting before moving onto another gun.

I have also shot the Maxon shoots; they are fun and run by two absolutely excellent USPSA/NROI Range Officers, including RMI Perry Wilson.

I'm glad to year that the STI guns do indeed seem to have a very nice fit. I am really starting to agree with you that my best bet right now is to get either a new edge, or something like it, or to keep an eye on the classifieds here for something used at a good price.

I guess the question is are there anythings to be concerned about with these types of guns in used form? Also, if I get a new one without any trigger job, are 1911/2011's friendly to diy trigger jobs? On my HK I detail stripped it, stoned and polished all the internals, lightened the springs and now it really shoots nice!

I was actually at Maxon last night for a combat shoot! It was the annual low light shoot, and there is nothing like doing a whole course of fire in pitch black with a tac light :D

JT - You are right about the shipping even the good shops in state are at least 5 hours away from me so either way new gun, used gun, or custom gun, it is all going to have to be dealt with remotely.

Stay away from gunshop smiths who tell you they can build you one. unless they have a good history, references, and guns on hand to show you examples of their work.

Rich at CC is the guy you want to talk to; hes probably 1.5-2 hours away, which is nothing considering youll be driving down there to pick up your new gun!

I have been where you are now. I purchased an STI Trojan as my first real USPSA gun. I sent it back four times. STI honored their word. It got expensive shipping it. Next I purchased a frame and parts. I had it finished by Kodiak Precision. I sold it.

STI is a good gun. Dawson Precision sells a lot of them as does Brazos. I know these guys will go over them before you buy one. There are others that do the same.

After a way, I have had all my guns built by Kodiak Precision, Cylinder & Slide, or Tripp. It was more money but at the time I could afford it. I am not at all disappointed by the results. Springer Precision did the work on my Production gun.

Spend the money on getting a well-known gunsmith to build or 'tune it' they way you want and you will not be disappointed. But get a USPSA-type gunsmith. USPSA shooting is very different than Bullseye or Bianchi. Bill Laufghridge at C&S might have a YouTube vid on the differences.

There is a Canyon Creek Limited gun for sale on the forum. Comes with mags too and since you're not too far from CC you can have him do any upgrades you wish. Me personally, I'd go for a used well built custom gun over a stock STI any day. If you are ready to drop the cash, get a full custom from a reputable smith built for you.

In answer to your question. To do a trigger job isn't all that complicated, to fit parts, slides, frames not hard. To build a gun that will last thousands and thousands of rounds, well that is where the difference is. Some of the smiths mentioned here will do just that. What separates them from the rest is that after 50,000 rounds the gun still runs like a top. Doing the work yourself is risky, sure you can slap it together yourself. Then after a few hundred rounds it will start falling a part and jamming, or worse a slide cracks. If you're going to spend a ton of money on parts, why not spend a little more to make sure it's perfect. Great guns last forever and that is the difference.

All your responses are really helping me out, Thanks!

It looks like my two options are either get a factory gun through a shop that will do a once over on it, or just find a used gun that has already been worked over by a reputable smith. There is a used Lexor, which I gather is an edge with tri topped slide to reduce weight, I have my eyes on that was worked on by Dan Sierpina. Can anyone comment on the quality of his work? Sorry if this is a dumb question i just don't know any of the big names in shooting if he is one.

I keep going back and forth between telling my self just get a mid grade well built gun and hone my skills, and listening to that little gremlin in the back of my head saying just get the perfect gun now, so you wont have to invest in it again. I guess guns do retain value pretty well though, right? So even if I had to sell one and buy a new one down the line it wouldn't be terrible. I would love an STI Apeiro from Dawson with their 200 dollar trigger job ($2624 Total), but that just just more than I want to spend right now, not to mention mags and a holster. Does that island barrel set up really help muzzle rise and help you get back on target as much faster as it seems it would. I am and engineer and the physics of the idea make total sense.

-Eli