Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you think of this for my new reloading bench?

jaffo

I've been waiting a really long time for a 650xl. My biggest obstacle was a man cave to use it in. With my oldest moving out now (I'm proud he's transferring from JUCO to a 4 yr univ), I am going to use his room. He can use the guest room when he visits.

I saw this a long time ago @ sam's club and really like it. Check it out and let me know what you think. It's nice and heavy, but I'm worried if the wheels will move too much even if locked.

I really like the storage and how nice it looks. The looks help with the wife letting me use the room. There are other pieces that match it I can add later when I get my building built.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod1480010&navAction=

Thanks

Ryder.

Well, it is only 20" deep, plus the casters are sitting at even narrower track, so my fear is it will be rocking. Reloading creates plenty of lateral force, in addition to vertical.

I am also not sure how well the top is attached to the body. Ideally you want a rock-solid platform, things work much better when you have it.

You will get different opinions here, mine is negative - but feel free to disregard it! :)

Edited by Foxbat

My older one was just like that.. but all maple. With the wheels, it didn't budge a bit

I just couldn't get it into the new house's basement so I built one down there. used it for a 1050 and a couple 550s

It weighs enough, you'd never know it was on wheels. The ones on mine (it's in the garage still), lock both for rolling and swivel

If they have it on display.. lock the wheels and give it a push.. see what you think..

Have the same brand from Sams club. Works great I just bolted to to the wall. Mine doesn't have the wheels or the drawers though.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=46465

I saw that one also. I think yours might be more comfortable, but I wanted the storage. More comfortable because your legs can go under the table while standing or sitting.

How did you anchor? Chills1994 sent me the attached pics. This might be a way for me to anchor.

j

post-29172-0-37629300-1325645726_thumb.j

post-29172-0-54976600-1325645740_thumb.j

The table was a little top heavy on the carpet so I went to Lowes and picked up a few of these brackets. The screw going through the metal is going through the other portion of the bracket. It's not over done but its solid. I am buying another table next week and will get bigger brackets. I almost didn't have enough room to get the drill in there.

Its very comfortable, I use the open end to clean my guns and other things. I bought a drafting chair for $90 and a roller mat from office depot. I think it's a great setup. So much, I am buying another to put on the opposite wall. Above the new table I am going to get 3 of the matching cabinets. I think that will take care of the majority of my storage problems. I also have a closet that I store most of my big stuff in.

post-34074-0-87887700-1325648959_thumb.j

Edited by cworks

Have the same brand from Sams club. Works great I just bolted to to the wall. Mine doesn't have the wheels or the drawers though.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=46465

I saw that one also. I think yours might be more comfortable, but I wanted the storage. More comfortable because your legs can go under the table while standing or sitting.

How did you anchor? Chills1994 sent me the attached pics. This might be a way for me to anchor.

j

Oh, hey, one other thing to keep in mind is if you mount the press directly to the bench top, you might not be able to use a drawer or two. However, if you get a strong mount, the press is up high enough that it won't get in the way of the drawers.

I guess you could always take a pine two by two....push this new workbench up to the wall...figure out where the studs are....lay the two by two on top of the benchtop, screw the two by two to the studs, then screw down through the two by two and into the bench top. no need for a Kreg pocket hole jig.

save the 40 bucks or so for primers instead.

Got it at office depot too. Think it was around $20. It came with a vice type clamp and a permanent mounting bracket. I screwed it into my bench and it works great. Especially the magnifying glass when seperating headstamps and inspecting brass

I did something similar, I waited until the wife went out of town for the weekend and went to lowes to the scratch and dent section and picked up a fairly sturdy workbench. Brought it home and stayed up half the night assembling it and reinforcing it. Woke up the next morning, cleaned up my mess from the night before and cleaned the rest of the place..

She gets home and says "why is it so clean in here" a few minutes later she says. "what did you buy this time".... :ph34r:

I said, O a new reloading bench and a new Milwuakee 18v Cordless drill so I could put it together.... :devil: (we live in an apartment half way across the state from a house that we own, because of work)

When I showed it to her she said.. O thats not so bad, it actually looks pretty good.. I NEVER expected that answer. :blink:

Great looking box. I would question it's practicality for a reloading bench. Most of the things we store are large and require something larger than a drawer. Drawers are nice but can you store a case of bullets in them?

I am in the process of completing my second bench with a 550 and new to me 1050. Large storage area below for bullets and brass. I am starting to work on a cabinet for the back of the bench. This will hold toolheads, scales and other misc.

Just my .02. looks great but will it fill your reloading needs?

i was thinking about getting the same kind of bench when i saw one similar to it at Costco. it seems very sturdy, the only thing i was concerned with was movement with the wheels. i didn't get a chance to test it to see how the wheel locks worked. but i liked the fact that i can move it around easily should the need arise.

• 2 weeks later...

I have that same one.

In fact, you gave me the idea to use that exact bench.

Good price too. And, it's very sturdy.

Greg

Have the same brand from Sams club. Works great I just bolted to to the wall. Mine doesn't have the wheels or the drawers though. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=46465

I just saw this post today, I have the same table, you would laugh if you saw how similar my setup is. I find it very stable on my hardwood floors, not perfect but good enough. If eventually get confidence this will be a permanent installation then I can attach it to the wall, but the small amount of movement isnt' a concern.

The 650 is mounted on the right and the left side is open for misc use. I drilled holes and can mount my vise on the left, or I have a series of things that I can c-clamp to the top:

1. Board with SDB mounted

2. Board with Lee press, trimmer, and Dillon swager mounted on 3 sides.

I like the open underneath since I can stack bulk ammo, bullets, etc that don't fit into drawers.

I think the only change that I would make with it is to NOT put on the wheels and instead put on adjustable (for hight) feet. That would make it very good for loading.

Brian

looks like a great bench but I would agree with the post above and install it without the wheels. unless you know you're going to have to move it around a bit, think you might be better off having it anchored as solidly as possible and even a little bit of motion when you're reloading is enough to introduce some aggravation.