Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 22 for training?

JoseyWalesX

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you guys feel about using a M&P 22 for training in place of the Pro?

I got a chance to get a 22 in my hand and even though it feels like any other M&P, the trigger and sight picture were not close enough for me to use it as a substitute/trainer. I do feel it is a cheap alternative and any trigger time is better than none, but I wouldnt solely train with the 22 and expect to do well with the Pro.

The biggest thing I noticed when gripping the .22 is the thumb safety makes the whole gun feel a bit differant then a Pro the way I grip it, but its the closest thing we have in a .22. You could get some cheap quality practice but make sure you also get plenty of practice in with the centerfired M&P before going to a match.

The biggest thing I noticed when gripping the .22 is the thumb safety makes the whole gun feel a bit differant then a Pro the way I grip it, but its the closest thing we have in a .22. You could get some cheap quality practice but make sure you also get plenty of practice in with the centerfired M&P before going to a match.

The thumb safety seems a bit high on the pistol. I don't engage it. It hasn't been an issue in practice. I don't notice it.

I had the same question about removing it. You would of course need a replacement pin that fit the space.

A friend of mine solved the problem by taking a dremmel tool and cutting the ears of the safety off flush with the frame. A bit extreme but it worked.

I personally don't see how it would make a viable substitute with the completely different trigger feel. As another poster said any trigger time is good, but I doubt that this one is that much different than just shooting with any other .22LR.

Just personally, I'm really holding out for a .22LR conversion slide. Being able to use my exact same trigger and set it up with the same sights would be a tremendous improvement over the M&P22 IMHO.

Just personally, I'm really holding out for a .22LR conversion slide. Being able to use my exact same trigger and set it up with the same sights would be a tremendous improvement over the M&P22 IMHO.

Is this something that is actually in the works by S&W or aftermarket company?

• 3 weeks later...

I picked mine up yesterday and put about 500 rounds through it (nice to be able to say that, without spending $150-$200!). My impression of it is very favorable. Like everyone else, I wish it had the exchangeable back strap and was compatible with the Crimson Trace grip I have on my carry gun. The safety may be a bit annoying if you're used to Stryker fire, but... I have to say that I don't think muscle memory for thumbing the safety off is a bad thing - especially if you ever think you'll have to fire a gun that has a safety, like a 1911.

I carry an M&P9c, and while the M&P 22 is not an exact match, it is a very good training tool for a fraction of the ammunition cost. In fact, that was my primary motivation for buying it (I actually ended up winning one in a local PPC match, but that was gravy on top!).

I used the Winchester M-22 ammo (40 grain), as well as the CCI Tactical (40grain), and CCI mini mag (40 grain) in the initial shooting. In all of that, I had one (probably) hard primer, and it was the M-22 ammo. All of them shot equally well - the variation in the groups at 10 yards was less than an inch - and probably my fault.

One semi-serious problem I had was that the thumb assist on the left side of the magazine consistently caught on the frame during mag reload. Admittedly, it make me more precise when changing mags, but it is quite annoying. I can't tell if anyone else has had that problem, or if there is anything to be done about it. By the way, S&W does have mags - 4,000 in stock they told me - and you can order them here (10 rounds, sorry): smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_801048_-1_758017_757846_757837_ProductDisplayErrorView_N. THey're not easy to find, even on the S&W website. They told me gun stores should be able ot get them without any problems.

There is definitely a sight picture difference (I have the Trijicon HD sights on my carry 9c) as well as a trigger difference (I have the Apex Duty trigger job), but I found these differences to be acceptable.

I did find a difference when shooting two rounds, changing targets between rounds, in the dot drill. On the 2nd shot with the 22, I was consistently low and left (jerking the trigger), but with the 9c, I was low right (tightening grip when firing). I couldn't tell what I was doing different, and I have to think it is the trigger.

All in all, I like the 22 - it is not an exact stand-in, but it is good for what it is - a lower-cost way to practice and get some trigger therapy.

I like it.

Is this something that is actually in the works by S&W or aftermarket company?

Not to my knowledge. More of just something that's a good probability (eventually) given the popularity of the platform. I personally just can't see the regular M&P22 doing much for me as it has a different sight radius and trigger pull from my competition gun. The only benefit would be more trigger time in general, which I can already get with my existing .22 (Ruger Std model).

Edited by MGMorden

• 2 weeks later...

.22 LR M&P??? I love it! Highly recommend it to any centerfire M&P owner!

Main drive? Ammo cost and limited reloading time. But this pistol is far more than I expected. Lightening the trigger is the easiest job of any of the pistols and revolvers I have worked on. I shoot a Pro so 'if' there is an advantage to shooting a .22 twin, this one has a slightly shorter sight radius and will require more concentration. (not bad for me).

But the overall feel ... the perfect fit in the Blackhawk holster ... total reliability thus far ... surprisingly good trigger ... good sights that I hope to switch to FO like the Pro ... make it amazing. Just amazing.

I do plan to get rid of the manual safety and the mag disconnect to better mimic the Pro ... and I will be able to tell more after 4-5000 rounds and some test targets @ 25 yards. I will put it up against some Buckmarks, a Chiappa, S&W, and Ruger pistols to see how it can do.

Now my next .22 Twin looks to be a GSG 1911.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with most of the positive comments, I like mine so far (I've only put 1000 rounds through it) it has had very little trouble.

I like the magazine holders pictured in the last post. Where can I get some like that?

Thanks,

JJ

I got those mag holders from a vendor at the IDPA Nationals many years ago.After i bought them they became illegal for IDPA use.They were for a 9mm I modified them with a heat gun to fit the 22 mags.I can't remember what vendor I got them from Sorry.

• 1 year later...

Bringing this thread from the dead.... I just bought an MP22 and I'm planning to use it as a training tool for IDPA

Mostly drawing and firing that first shot with confidence and target to target transitions. Hopefully I get better or my 5 yr old son can use it to practice.... :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by emjei

I recently put a FO front on mine (short one, not the tall one!) but it's otherwise stock. The thumbsafety sometimes gets annoying, but only for a few draws early in a practice. The front of the slide is slightly wider than my Pro so it doesn't fit the holsters as well as the Pro but it still works well enough to use your regular gear during practice.

I like mine - now if I could only find ammo ...

Mark

I recently put a FO front on mine (short one, not the tall one!) but it's otherwise stock. The thumbsafety sometimes gets annoying, but only for a few draws early in a practice. The front of the slide is slightly wider than my Pro so it doesn't fit the holsters as well as the Pro but it still works well enough to use your regular gear during practice.

I like mine - now if I could only find ammo ...

Mark

I cant get mine in the BladeTech Holster.....not good news

As for ammo I bought 1000 rds for $35

The biggest thing I noticed when gripping the .22 is the thumb safety makes the whole gun feel a bit different then a Pro the way I grip it, but its the closest thing we have in a .22. You could get some cheap quality practice but make sure you also get plenty of practice in with the center fired M&P before going to a match.

The safety was not an issue. I removed it, and replaced it with the proper insert. Now I feel its the closest thing to a M&P Pro. I fixed its trigger and it has improved my scores. Yes I still practice 9mm but a lot of 22 also.

The biggest thing I noticed when gripping the .22 is the thumb safety makes the whole gun feel a bit different then a Pro the way I grip it, but its the closest thing we have in a .22. You could get some cheap quality practice but make sure you also get plenty of practice in with the center fired M&P before going to a match.

The safety was not an issue. I removed it, and replaced it with the proper insert. Now I feel its the closest thing to a M&P Pro. I fixed its trigger and it has improved my scores. Yes I still practice 9mm but a lot of 22 also.

Which insert you used ???

The thumb safety seems a bit high on the pistol. I don't engage it. It hasn't been an issue in practice. I don't notice it.

I had the same question about removing it. You would of course need a replacement pin that fit the space.

A friend of mine solved the problem by taking a dremmel tool and cutting the ears of the safety off flush with the frame. A bit extreme but it worked.

This has been my experience with the pistol as well. The safety just doesn't seem to be an issue for me either.