Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Did you buy a heavier or lighter version only to make the switch?

kreativecid

NOT because of IDPA weight rules or you like USPSA's freestyle more, but did any of you go from a heavier CZ to a lighter CZ, or vice versa, because your shooting improved - whether it was target transition, balance in your hand, muzzle rise, felt recoil, your favorite reload, whatever.

Or did you just learn to live with the characteristics of your CZ after purchasing it & not being able to try all models side by side.

I think for me the heavier-nosed SP-01's and original SP-framed Shadows are a little more forgiving and seem to drop back on target shot-to-shot a little better without really needing much help from me, and I think maybe I find them a little steadier with the added weight out front. I went to a short-dustcover 75 Shadow for a while and while the difference wasn't a deal breaker by any means, it was a vastly different feeling gun that did feel quicker in the hand but handled recoil differently.

Now that said, I went back to shooting Glocks due to work reasons for nearly a solid year and now recently I've been shooting a souped up 75B Stainless which I think is lighter up front than the 75 Shadow and I'm finding it's got plenty of weight and feels solid and steady as rock... So who knows, guess I kind of think it's just a matter of getting used to a guns recoil impulse and feel during transitions...

I'll say this, either is great, but to me IMHO has slightly different strengths: the longer framed guns seem to drop back on target as if on auto-pilot, but the shorter dustcover guns do tend to feel quicker in the hand.

Got rid of my Shadow T. It was too nose heavy for me. Got a new 85 Combat that I need to make a few changes to.

I also had a Shadow and a 85 Combat and sold the Shadow for 2 reasons, it was a little front heavy and I thought my target transitions were slower, and my 85 Combat was 100% reliable while the Shadow did give me the occasional stoppage which I never diagnosed the cause of.

I also must say the Shadow is a lot to carry of weight on your belt while the Combat is noticeably lighter to carry around all day. I have enough trouble keeping my pants up!

I shot a shadow for awhile and now have a standard 75 I've tuned up. I think if you shoot uspsa only the shadow is great. If you shoot idpa and uspsa get the no dust cover shadow or a 75. We are talking only 3-4 oz.

I've also found I like them both with snappier recoiling ammo as well. They just seem to recoil faster and be back on target faster for me. YMMV

I shoot a stainless 75B, because it feels very nice during transitions and other 'gun manipulation'. I don't care for a tad more recoil......funny thing is that new shooters who like CZ's, mostly pick a Shadow and don't even try the other CZ flavours.

A regular 75/85 with upgraded sights and competition hammer, is a very nice gun and does everything a Shadow does.

Just my experience but what I found was that the 124 "golden load" for regular Shadows was a bit brisker than I liked in my 75 Shadow. I moved to 147s and think they match the short dust cover gun's personality better, for me at least.

I've been shooting the SP01 Shadow after coming from an M&P. I'm perfectly happy with the weight, and even picked up a 2nd Shadow for carry. I haven't tried the 75 Shadow yet, so take that for what it's worth. While it'd be nice to be IDPA legal, it's not game I play often, and I don't have any complaints about the Sp01 weight aside from the IDPA issue, so I'm not in any rush to spend more on a new gun and holster to fix something that isn't broken. For me, I don't think the tiny weight differences would effect my scores in the least.

So I fall into the latter camp and just learned to live with it.