Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A 625

Run n Gun

I came across this article written by Massad Ayoob about the “Miculak Special” 625. In the piece he states that the gun would only shoot 3”-4” groups at 25 yards with several, known to be accurate, types of ammo. Ayoob sent the 625 back to S&W were they put it in a Ransom Rest and it wasn’t shooting any better than that for them either. “It’s just something about 45 ACP revolvers” and “4” was the minimum ACCEPTABLE group” was the Performance Centers reply. :o

WTF!!!! One of the games I play at my club involves (in part) shooting tennis balls hanging from a string at 25 yards. The only reason I have to change to a 625 is to also be able to also play in the Revolver Division with it.

Okay I’m finally getting to my question (too everyone’s sure relief), just how accurate IS a 625? I need something that’ll shoot 2” or better at 25 yards, should I be looking at something else? I hope not, I shoot L-10 with a 45 and it would really be nice to only load ONE caliber!

Thanks,

Ed

They are full of you know what. Mine will hit milk jugs full of water all day long at 100yds, if I do my part. That is why Ayoob sent it back. I have owned three others, and they would all shoot as well. Surprised that the Performance Center said that.... :wacko:

My 1988 series 625 will easily hold 1"-1 1/4" five shot groups from a rest at 25 yards. It has a five inch barrel. Co-workers with both 625s and 610s have similar accuracy out of their revolvers. In my experience, these revolvers do shoot best with either hard lead or plated jacketed bullets. We found that some name brand jacketed bullets would shoot 2" groups at 25 yards, and 8" groups at 50 yards. Not good enough for ICORE shooting, but it wasn't the fault of the gun. :D

I shot mine at 25 meters (27yds) this tuesday, one hand unsupported, open sights 5 shots.

Groups were consistently about 2" to 3".

Always one or two flyers which made them that large and they probably were not caused by the gun but by me :D

Will try with support and bring a camera. Has to wait a while as I am going to London a couple of days.

I also had a PC625 4". At the time I also had a Model of 1989. Shooting them both, I found the PC gun no more acurate than the older model so I sold the PC gun.

I then returned the Model of 1989 to S&W and had them re-cut the forcing cone. It is now grouping better than ever.

I am soon to get a newer 625 to use as a spare and practice gun. I will be interested in seeing how they compare accuracy wise with the same loads.

Regards,

Gary

“4” was the minimum ACCEPTABLE group”

I need something that’ll shoot 2” or better at 25 yards, should I be looking at something else?  I hope not, I shoot L-10 with a 45 and it would really be nice to only load ONE caliber!

"4" being the minimum acceptable group is more of a warranty issue. This is a production gun and that is their guarantee. On the other side of the coin, take a look at the Wilson price list and you will see that you can purchase $$$$ certain accuracy guarantees for certain $$$$.

That said, I would be pi$$ed if my 625 would only shot 3 1/2" at 25 yards. Mine will put any of my 45 acp ammo into 2". Some of the lighter 200 LSWC will go well below that. Did I mention that I :wub: the accuracy of my 625?

I hear you guys...loving those S&W's...

But, how many are older guns? And, how many aren't stainless?

I am of the mind (from what I've read only) that the newer guns..especially stainless...don't group well.

For one to come out of the Performance Center...and their tolerance is 4in at 25y...that bites.

I was hoping that the batch on 40 calibers that come out a year or so ago would prove to be good buys. But, I think (reported here) that they were lacking as well.

But, how many are older guns?  And, how many aren't stainless?

I am of the mind (from what I've read only) that the newer guns..especially stainless...don't group well.

Three are not stainless and one is an older gun. There is a K-38 5 screw from 1947 (because everyone who likes wheel guns should have a 5 screw Smith). The other blued gun is a 16-4 (that's a K frame 32 H&R mag) they don't make them in stainless. Then there is the 15 that was out the door $115. These are the only three blued Smiths I've been able to justify, in the safe they are surrounded :ph34r:

You and I are opposites as far as stainless handguns are concerned, I :wub: them! No blueing to wear off. More resistant to rust. Need a refinish on a blued gun and you're out $75-150. Need a refinish on a stainless gun and you're out in the garage with the buffing wheel on the bench grinder.

Like this...raceg-s.jpg

All my guns group well and most of them came to me used. In my experience you'd be hard pressed to find a full size Stainless Smith that won't shoot into 2" at 25 yards.

Thanks you guys! You’ve helped to restore my faith in S&W… well sort of.

Over the years I’ve owned a gunnysack full of “N” frame (large) Smiths, a couple of 27s, a 28, three 29s (4, 6 1/2 and 8 3/8 inch) and a 57 in addition to a couple of 1917s and ALL of them shot well. A couple of them were finicky about loads but all were capable of 2” or less, usually MUCH less at 25 yards. They were also all blued guns.

It was during my research of the “Miculak Special”, to see if it was worth the extra money (I don’t think so), that this accuracy issue reared its ugly head so I figured I’d come here and ask if what I was reading was really how it is. The jury’s still out, but I’m feeling little better.

Ed

In my experience you'd be hard pressed to find a full size Stainless Smith that won't shoot into 2" at 25 yards.

Then why did the one the writer sent back to the Performance shop suck...when it came back?

The PC stated that their goal was 4in at 25y. :blink::wacko:

I have a 625 (stainless) and although I've never benched it, the accuracy seems fine. I've shot it in USPSA, tons of local steel matches, and the steel challenge and never noticed any accuracy problems. I think the gun is outstanding.

After reading this post I will bench it to satisfy my own curiosity, but I would be willing to bet it is much better than Massad says.

Then why did the one the writer sent back to the Performance shop suck...when it came back?

The PC stated that their goal was 4in at 25y.  :blink:  :wacko:

Maybe it was karma? Had he done something bad recently?

Knowing the average shooters capabilities, what kind of guarantee could you afford to give?

I have several 45 revolvers including a PC 625 with a 5 1/4 inch barrel. My 4 inch standard 625 is a tackdriver with the right loads. I find I use my 4 inch in USPSA shooting the most. My PC 625 is an ok grouper but not great 2 inch 25 yard groups. My 4 inch will go 1 inch 25 yards. I would go with a standard model and spend the extra money on loading componets. I think the deep rifling on the PC guns does not allow as good of a seal as I seem to get more leading. It shoots best with soft swaged bullets whereas my four inches does good with cast 200's and 230rn. The pc model does look cool and the gold bead is nice. :)