Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite 135 moly reload isn't doing the job in new CZ

YamaLink

My 9mm 1911 shoots a Bear Creek 135 RN atop 4.0 WST Fed @ 1.145 so incredibly soft & accurate. That same reload isn't so "perfect" in my new CZ SP01 Shadow. Obviously different guns, different results.

Had some 125g Bear Creek in a RN and TC FP, and both had to be loaded short, approx 1.120, in the Spartan to feed. Sold the few remaining since I thought my sub-135 days were over.

While the CZ is a few days old and I'm still learning the gun, I've crossed off the list at least six potential reloads all using the aforementioned BC 135 atop WST (because I have a lot of it left). And reading the CZ Shadow likes 124 I'm thinking of stopping the quest to find a "perfect" BC 135 reload for the CZ (fyi, the 147s feel too sluggish for me in both guns).

Is there a moly or fmj/cmj in 124/125 with a shape that will allow me to load a little longer oal?

Bear Creek's customer service is great as are their prices, but I don't mind paying for the likes of Montana Gold if the results prove their worth.

Or should I give the BC 135 RN a little more time in the CZ Shadow before going 124 since 135 is a great combo of minimized felt recoil and quick slide return at around 130pf.

Edited by YamaLink

In my CZ I can load the Mt Gold 124 out to 1.135. It seems to shot well, but I thought that it was a little bit snappy. If you want to stay with moly bullets that are a tad heavier. My favorite load was WSF and BBI's 130 TC. I could load it out to 1.145.

Edited by Tyshoots

Thanks. I used to shoot BBI 130. Unfortunately his website has been "down" for a loooong time.

In my CZ I can load the Mt Gold 124 out to 1.135. It seems to shot well, but I thought that it was a little bit snappy. If you want to stay with moly bullets that are a tad heavier. My favorite load was WSF and BBI's 130 TC. I could load it out to 1.145.

Give the Bayou Moly 135 a shot. Slightly different bullet, might work out better.

+1 on the BayouBullets.net 135gr and if that is moly and not gator snot, it is definatley different than the Moly used on BBI's and Precison bullets. I load mine for my Shadow at 1.145 with 4.2gr of WST. Best and most accurate load I've run. You can use WST with 124gr Jacketed however you will need to use 4.5-4.7gr and it will be a bit snappy and the SD and ES is a little extreme. I like the 135gr more than the 147's. N320 is also good. You can get a 100 sample bullets from Donnie.

I have a bit of fowling with regular moly bullets but with the bayou the barrel is cleaner after shooting them.

Edited by CocoBolo

Donnie was working late and replied to my email. Have inquired about a sample pack of 135rn.

In my year or so of using Bear Creek all barrels have been clean. Wonder if they use similar coating.

Until BC my barrel had a lot of residue from other so-called "clean" moly bullets.

Price on BC and BB is close. I'll load them both up with 4.0 & 4.2 WST at 1.145ish and run 'em through both 9mm. At the very least I'll have a great 1911 load to fall back on. Just need the CZ magic to appear! Thanks!

+1 +2 +3 for Bayou's... Especially in STI 9mm SS's... I'm running a Trojan and Sentinel with WIlson ETM mags and Dawson narrow base pads and they are 100%.

I've run the 135 and 125 and go back and forth, but amazingly soft ammo that feeds 100%

Here's my load:

STI Sentinel/Trojan 9mm SS Minor

Bayou 125gr

Solo 1000 4.2gr

1.155 OAL

1097fps avg = 137pf

1077fps avg = 135pf (70 deg, low humidity)

Hey, I like it snappy!

You can get a Manson head space reamer for $40. I have one but did not need to use it on my Shadow, I used it on one of my 2011 9 Major Guns, with a Schuemann barrel. Brownells also sells another brand of head space reamer, about the same price.

Winchester white box is about 1.140 so these short hole guns won't even run Winchester White Box, go figure. Even the wife's 75B and her compact carry gun run with the 1.145 Bayou Bullets. Actually my Shadow will eat the 1.165's Montana Gold CMJ's that I shoot in my 9 major guns, the recoil is a bit stiff at 172 pf.

The only thing I've had to load short for a CZ is 125gr FN bullets that flat nose bullet had to go 1.10 to fit in the 75B.

Yamalink, what weight recoil spring are you running in that gun? if you havent chnaged it yet, you must try the 11 and 10 # springs with Bayou 147g and 160g. those 2 bullets can be loaded long in my sp01 shadow. once you get the spring to match the load, the sluggish is gone and all your left with is fast cycling flat as it gets w/o comp pistol.

I have a 11# rs coming in along with the CGW 8.5# mainspring, extended firing pin and fp spring.

Yamalink, what weight recoil spring are you running in that gun? if you havent chnaged it yet, you must try the 11 and 10 # springs with Bayou 147g and 160g. those 2 bullets can be loaded long in my sp01 shadow. once you get the spring to match the load, the sluggish is gone and all your left with is fast cycling flat as it gets w/o comp pistol.

I have to run Bayou Bullet 135gr RN @ 1.085" out of my CZ75. This length is just .010" short of touching my rifling lands in my barrel. 3.2gr of Titegroup puts me at a consistent average of 940fps. 925fps is needed to make minor pf with 135s. I like these 135s a lot better than 115s and 124s.

Edited by gigamortis