Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Difference between Burris Tac-30 1-4, MTAC, and XTR

So to me all these scopes look to be same, except that the price climbs with each model, with the XTR being more than 3X the cost of the TAC-30. Is there really a difference of $600+ between the 2? Also how does the Vortex HS and PS 1-4's stack up, and what is the difference between HS and PS? Thanks

The TAC 30 and MTAC are very similar. I believe the MTAC is eventually taking the place of the TAC 30. The differences I am aware of is the magnification ring and something with the illumination. The reticles are the same.

The XTR is supposed to be better glass and a different reticle.

TAC30 has a button for illumination and the whole ocular moves for power adjustment, the MTAC has a dial for illumination and a power ring, both improvements. The XTR has a more cluttered reticle and is US assembled. I used all three and currently have MTACs.

The Vortex scores are a good scope as well. The real difference is how you respond to the reticle under time. The Vortex is a little harder to use fast, but thinner markings. The Burris is faster with thicker markings in the center, but then that is what makes it faster.

I have both the Tac30 and the MTAC. I would definetly recommend the Mtac. Played with an XTR the other day at the range and found the reticle too cluttered and the illumination not as good as the Mtac. I think if you shot alot of long range the XTR might work a little better with it's cross hair reticle, but I regularily shoot out to 500 yards with both the Mtac and the Tac 30 and have no problems finding the correct dot and hitting the target.

One thing I did was set the Mtac up with a 300 yard zero so I can put the center cross on the target somehwere and not have to use the first dots. I use the 3rd dot from 350-400 and the one right above the bottom ring for 500. I shoot 68gr and 75gr match bullets. Works for me.

gerritm

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...