Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2012 CMMG Midwest 3 Gun Championships

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After some encouragement from my friends from the MN 3-gun group I'm thinking this is going to be my first trip to a major 3-Gun. It also happens to be the closest at only an 8 hour drive (sic). Really looking forward to this. Feel free to pass along any tips to the new guy attending his first major. See you all there!!!

bring good rain gear for your self and your equip..

3-gun cart, golf cart, and some even bring UTV's, anddefinitelyy a chair. I believe the long range targets at 10" plates.

Wow, 10" targets at 400 yards. That's going to be a challenge for my 5 MOA dot Burris Extreme Tactical red dot, I may need to re-think my set up a bit.

Is there something your looking for in last yrs rules? I still have my book and will look something up for ya :)

No nothing really in particular. Just that this is going to be my first major match and I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row well in advance. The more I know now, the less I have to worry about having an "oh ****" moment once I'm there. Just the type that likes to be prepared and it seems every match has it's own set of rules.

• 3 weeks later...

3-gun cart, golf cart, and some even bring UTV's, anddefinitelyy a chair. I believe the long range targets at 10" plates.

Wow, 10" targets at 400 yards. That's going to be a challenge for my 5 MOA dot Burris Extreme Tactical red dot, I may need to re-think my set up a bit.

It's even tougher once the targets get splattered with mud, aren't painted, and/or it's pouring rain. That was the way my squad had to shoot them last year and it sucked. I too was using a red dot but it did little good when the target isn't visible.

Craig

It's even tougher once the targets get splattered with mud, aren't painted, and/or it's pouring rain. That was the way my squad had to shoot them last year and it sucked. I too was using a red dot but it did little good when the target isn't visible.

Craig

Actualy I am registered to shoot Tac-Optics now. The Burris MTAC on 4x should definetly help in that department. I'll still be keeping my fingers crossed for blue skies and sunshine though.

Craig

Actualy I am registered to shoot Tac-Optics now. The Burris MTAC on 4x should definetly help in that department. I'll still be keeping my fingers crossed for blue skies and sunshine though.

I wished I had either a scope or irons vs the red dot that day. The targets were difficult to see but the rain on the lens made it worse. A scope gives a bit of cover to the lens and the irons don't have the issue at all. Definately convinced me that the red dot isn't always the answer in TI. Maybe an Aimpoint on a flip to side LaRue would be the ticket in the hard rain, allowing clear use of the irons. That is if allowed in the match rules. Some don't let you have the option of using either, only one or the other. Irritating at times

but it's still all fun overall.

Craig

Craig

I wished I had either a scope or irons vs the red dot that day. The targets were difficult to see but the rain on the lens made it worse. A scope gives a bit of cover to the lens and the irons don't have the issue at all. Definately convinced me that the red dot isn't always the answer in TI. Maybe an Aimpoint on a flip to side LaRue would be the ticket in the hard rain, allowing clear use of the irons. That is if allowed in the match rules. Some don't let you have the option of using either, only one or the other. Irritating at times

but it's still all fun overall.

Craig

If you want to just run one aiming device in the Limited/Tac-Irons division you really owe it to yourself to check out the Leupold Prismatic with the DCD reticle. The center dot is fine enough that it doesn't get in the way and it’s etched in the glass the same as a magnified scope reticle so no battery issues and better performance in the rain than a red dot. The field of view is excellent and the glass is very clear. It is a very reliable scope and a 10" target at 400 yards is no problem to see and precisely line up since you don't get any flaring. A bunch of us in the division use the Pris very successfully last year. So far I have seen nothing out there than can touch it for what it is. That said, good ol irons are still a very solid option if like that kind of thing. :P

James

This match just got way more interesting...

3GN DIVISIONAL SERIES presented by Hornady

Registration as a 3GN Pro also allows you to compete in the 3GN Divisional Series, presented by Hornady. Similar to the 2011 season, Hornady will award $5,000 for the overall points winner of the following divisions: Open, Tactical Optics, Tactical Iron, Heavy Metal and Heavy Metal Optics. 3GN Divisional Points will be awarded at the following 3GN divisional matches: Superstition Mountain Mystery 3-Gun, Rocky Mountain 3-Gun, CMMG Midwest 3-Gun, MGM Ironman, Leupold & Warne Northwest Multigun Challenge, Adams Arms Ozark 3-Gun, Blue Ridge Mountain 3-Gun.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Oh and practice pistol on 5"x5" square plates out to around 20-25 yards at the bottom of a muddy creek bed covered in mud and leaves while your slogging through 6" of churned up mud.

fixed it for ya. :devil:

printing my app now. :cheers:

Be a while before I can practice anyting in the mud around here, but I did practice in 4" of snow today. Does that count? Plus I got the first rounds through my new AR build today, which turned out to be a tack driver :D

My app went in last week, I'll see you there :cheers:

Oh and practice pistol on 5"x5" square plates out to around 20-25 yards at the bottom of a muddy creek bed covered in mud and leaves while your slogging through 6" of churned up mud.

fixed it for ya. :devil:

printing my app now. :cheers:

I think Mr Flood got the message (and an earfull) from numerous folks last time out.

Hopefully he will consider that information to aid him with appropriate targets

for the terrain. :rolleyes:

Craig

Is this a two day shoot or one day shoot? The website says there is a Friday shoot and a Saturday shoot. How will we know which day we're going to shoot? Kinda need to know so I can schedule leave for work.

It has always been a 3 day shoot. Not sure why they would change it.

From the website:

Schedule:

Thursday Registration: 5:00-7:00 PM

Friday-Registration: 7:00-8:30 AM

Shooters Meeting: 8:30-9:00 AM

Match starts: 9:00-12:00

Lunch: 12:00-1:00

Match: 1:00-5:00

Saturday-Match Starts: 8:00 AM

Sunday-Match Starts: 8:00 AM

Team Event: 10:00-11:00 AM

From the website:

Schedule:

Got it. Was a little confused. Will be sending out the app today. Any training tips from you guys that shot this match before?

Edited by jdknotts1

From the website:

Schedule:

Got it. Was a little confused. Will be sending out the app today. Any training tips from you guys that shot this match before?

Off hand and weird position rifle from 50-150.

Flying clays