Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Correct primer erosion.

yuthh

Bob Cogan at Accurate Plating and Weaponry told us that a good plating job will fill in the erosion pits and its harder surface will resist further cutting.

I am waiting for a 9Major slide to get back from him now so that I can see that for myself.

I had my STI hard chromed from APW and there was primer erosion before I sent it in, only thing shot was factory ammo then, and it didn't fill it in. I do not have it growing since then and run some factory ammo and mostly reloads. My issued ammo is making 195 pf. With the factory ammo the gun would have sparks flying out from breachface area...interesting to watch on video. Contacted the ammo manufacture and that is another story.

Back in the days of Jim Clark, Sr., his shop was known for installing a hardened steel bushing in the firing pin hole. That particular bushing was offset to compensate for the higher lock-up of a barrel with welded feet, but I would assume that a non-offset one could be made also.

Back in the days of Jim Clark, Sr., his shop was known for installing a hardened steel bushing in the firing pin hole. That particular bushing was offset to compensate for the higher lock-up of a barrel with welded feet, but I would assume that a non-offset one could be made also.

I have sent them an email.I am curious how it looks like on the slide.

Can you let me know if they are doing this, I am interested since it will prolong the slide from being replaced.

Can you let me know if they are doing this, I am interested since it will prolong the slide from being replaced.

I will.

Shoot a slower powder & it will not happen.

Truth.

I burnt the piss out of my breechface with 4.0 grains of Titegroup and Fed SP Mag primers. The problem went away when I went back to WSF.

I use AA#7 from the first day of this gun and never changed.Switched back and forth between 124gr and 125gr bullet.PF somwhere 177-180(I know it's hot and this might be the issue and I addmitted). :rolleyes:

Just my opinion I have no experience with...this...press in bushing. I think it would be ok for bullseye or plinking but for USPSA or Steel we really stress our guns more than any one else I know of. With my kind of luck that bushing would back out in the middle of the best stage of my life at the biggest match. Not knocking anyone but I have seen firing pin bushings back out.

EGW used to do a great job of welding them up and recutting them. I would call George and see if he could recommend someone who could do it right for you.

I think the best advice is to fit a new slide to it. If it's an othewise good gun it's worth it. I would take Bennys advice about powder. I also think if you run rifle primers and light loads you can have pitting from gas leakage around the primer.