Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Biker Build Off

Biker Build Off was a great example of guys building bikes with craftsmanship and individuality.

Matt Hotch

Russell Mitchell

Jesse Rooke

Hank Young

Roger Goldammer

Mitch Bergeron

Shinya Kimura

Chica

Mike Long

What stood out from these guys in contrast to OCC and PJD was their attention to detail and level of craftsmanship. Not to mention the final assembly which looked much like the making of a watch going together. . You never saw them grinding on parts, hitting them with a hammer, or torching them to fit which is routine on OCC/PJD builds.

great article i found on the show.."This competition was like pitting Justin Bieber against Led Zeppelin in an American Idol show."

My link

It is kinda interesting that Jesse James would even bother to compete with those two clowns. He probably thought winning was so obvious that it'd be a piece of cake.

The only thing I disagree with that writer about is that choppers are about riding. I don't know about you guys, but I love motorcycles, but I couldn't ride a rigid chopper very far before my kidneys would be bleeding.

I liked the show where average joes came in to build a bike in 30 days. I believe it was Russel Mitchell that hosted it. His bikes were flat black and cool. No theme, just flat black...and cool. You needed palmade (hair grease) just to sit on them.

Jesse Rooke's bikes apeal to me on a show bike level. I like his KTM cafe racer. His other designs are so minimalist and bare. I like that.

I liked the show where average joes came in to build a bike in 30 days. I believe it was Russel Mitchell that hosted it. His bikes were flat black and cool. No theme, just flat black...and cool. You needed palmade (hair grease) just to sit on them.

Jesse Rooke's bikes apeal to me on a show bike level. I like his KTM cafe racer. His other designs are so minimalist and bare. I like that.

Was that the show on espn a few years ago? That was good.

JJ is a true fabricator and a complete tool. Paul jr has the gift of vision on his bikes. Paul sr has Rick. that sums it up. I did not really care for any of the three. JJ bike was the same old same old and jr's bike well The idea was cool but way over the top for me.

great article i found on the show.."This competition was like pitting Justin Bieber against Led Zeppelin in an American Idol show."

My link

It is kinda interesting that Jesse James would even bother to compete with those two clowns. He probably thought winning was so obvious that it'd be a piece of cake.

The only thing I disagree with that writer about is that choppers are about riding. I don't know about you guys, but I love motorcycles, but I couldn't ride a rigid chopper very far before my kidneys would be bleeding.

"Bieber against Led Zeppelin" That is so funny and so right on the mark.

That is a great article thanks for posting the link, agree with it 100%.

I know chopper guys who ride rigid full on choppers all over the country. I cant do it in my old age, but they won't be seen on a road sofa as they call bikes with rear suspensions. But they don't ride these mega buck tv style customs that will make it to the next bar maybe either. You either get the biker thing or you don't. Id walk in any biker bar anywhere with Jesse, Jr. ahh not so much.

My link

Exactly!

I think that the TV show people got exactly what they wanted out of all of this. They got exposure for their shows and they got a chance to see if people wanted to see more Jessie James and make a show with him in it.

As to the Bikes:

I think the bikes on this show would have been TOTALLY different if they had required them to *RIDE* the bikes to the judging over say 100 miles or so like the old "biker build off" show did. They did that for a reason so that people would build a bike that could be *ridden* and not a "showpiece" that will only be started to move it to and from the trailer. All you have to do is take a look at Paul Sr.'s ...electric-snowmobile-ish-machine-thing to see that it was not about a "rideable bike" it was about over the top "Builds." If they had wanted bikes to RIDE then they should have said so at the start... they didn't because that is not what they wanted.

Overall, Jr's bike was a pretty SHOW-bike, Jessie's bike was almost a carbon copy of his other builds but with a hand made blacksmithed front end, and Sr's was... something that was not even in the same game.

What it seems like everyone on this forumis forgetting is that just because you prefer one style over another does not mean the builder is crap. this whole show was designed to build on the conflict and draw watchers. How many of us on this forum could afford the bikes by any one of the three. It's like saying what is better, a new Rousch Mustang or a '69 Boss 302? It depends on the customer's preference. How does it make my design better if I denigrate another designer's bike? It doesn't, but it magnifies the drama. As for the whole "Biker" attitude and lifestyle, there are way more middle class guys riding so-called "yuppie softtails" ( term used by Indian larry on a Biker Build Off) that there are hard-tail outlaw bikers. and just because any of the guys can build a great loooking and/or great riding bike does not mean they are a great person. All three of these guys have their faults, as do we all. Anytime you have people vote for anything it becomes a popularity contest, from bike building to politics. I liked Jessie before he went Hollywood. I like Paul Sr. a lot more in the early years as I did Junior. but, I only know what I see of them on Television and have no idea of what each is like, and what each's talents really are. Judging any person's talents and character based upon what TV producers allow you to see is fool hardy. Teir main goal is to attract viewers. Just like Top shots. I wouldlike this show a whole lot better if it was a pure shooting competitionthat tested the abilites of great shooters in different disciplines. But, if that were so, only shooters would be attracted to the show. A large percentage of the viewers were non shooters that got attracted by the drama. and in the long run maybe that is not a bad thing. So what I guess what I mean is different strokes for different folks (with apologies to Sylvester Stewart, commonly known as Sly Stone).

I find some of the comments surprising given the nature of this forum. Why complain that PJD did not build all the parts of the bike or built less parts than JJ? Why complain that PJD's bike can not be ridden cross country (as if the torture device constructed by JJ could be)?

Do you shoot stages in "in the spirit of the intent" or according to WSB? And it is not even a given that any of these things were ever "in the spirit of the intent". Maybe they were in JJs mind, but I doubt the producers of the show would agree and they are the ones writing the "stage briefing".

Furthermore, do all of the well regarded gunsmith's machine all the parts of the firearms from raw stock? Or do they modify and fit parts manufactured by someone else? Are they less craftsmen for that? Or are their products any less desirable?

JJ built a nice looking bike. Not being a chopper guy I doubt I could pick it out from a row if bikes parked in front of a biker bar. Junior built something unique. In fact I do not think he has done two similar bikes since starting up his own shop. None of his bikes would ever get lost in a lineup even for the uninitiated eyes. And two of the three judges seemed to feel the same.