Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Use of buckshot in 3 gun matches?

Ontarget

I received this email today;

Greetings

This is a test of the Rio 3 Gun Broadcast network. Expect future e-mails with either "Rio 3 Gun" or "Tac Shotgun/Pistol Carbine" in the subject line.

3 Gun:

The next match is December 10, 2011. We need to have BBs going down range at least by 8:00.

StealthyBlagga has designed a buckshot stage. Please bring at least 15 rounds of buckshot (00 for 12 gauge or 3 for 20 gauge). You can get 15 round packs of buckshot for $9.97 at Wal*Mart. There may be a pistol option stage, so bring your pistolas.

As you can see, we are doing our own e-mail blasts. If you know somebody that wants to be on the list, have that person let me know at the match or by sending me an e-mail.

Tactical Shotgun/Pistol Carbine:

The next match is December 14, 2011. This is a great opportunity to get some more practice. Dan Newton and Russ Osiol have been doing a great job. We need to get the word out to increase the participation. The match is $14 for members and $16 for non-members.

Thx and Best Regards

The Merry Band of Rio # Gun

Besides having it mixed in throughout the the regular matches,...we had a stage of it at SMM3G "11"!

I was thinking it's an "English" thing,...or Richard has a surplus that no one would buy. :roflol:

Most matches that I go to locally not only prohibit Buck but they say no shot larger than #6. Buck definitely tears steel up. MIght be good to have in the bag but if you make a boo boo and load it when you're not allowed, you may end up wearing the dilly bar hat.

You'll frequently see buck used on paper, where they count the number of pellets that have hit.

But lately, the local matches have started allowing and requiring buck on steel targets--they simply place the targets far away enough to limit damage and safety risks.

I have some boxes of 12 gauge 00 buckshot sitting around. Is it ever used in 3 gun or USPSA matches? If not, I plan on selling it. Thank you.

Other than being hard on steel it is frankly a little expensive for the monthly shoot for a lot of people. They can shoot more birdshot for the price of 10 buck. But as everyone else said, a stage might throw in buck some day.

Keep it in your shotgun range bag. It will only be more expensive when you need to buy it.